push ups

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do pushups often as warm up and as punishment. All instructors do push ups while the class does them. All black belts assisting on the floor do them as well as the instructor and students. We are a team Grow together, suffer together, acheive together.

I agree with that statement completly.

We do pushups. flat hand, knuckle, 2 finger and thumb. 1 finger and thumb, finger tip, back of hand( wrist as done in aikido), thumb alone (for those that can), extended throught the hands and back up, hand stand( against the wall or unsupported) And a couple others.
They help your muscle development and it is the basic motion of a punch.
I love them, the class dosnt feel the same way some days:rofl:

C

c2kenpo

Originally posted by progressivetactics

I do disguise alot of the push ups as well. I will, instead of counting them out, make the people repeat what I say...and 1 word per motion... so It on the way down we could say "I"; up would be "intend"; down---"to"; up--- "develop'. You can often squeeze 30-50 push ups out of people this way wihtout them realizing they are working.

Love this idea!!!!! Hope you don't mind me borrowing it. Would love to challenge my teen class with pushups and a portion of the student creed.
He he he.......then with white belts to practive the kenpo creed......great idea....
:asian:

David Gunzburg

P

progressivetactics

Love this idea!!!!! Hope you don't mind me borrowing it

No Problem. Enjoy it!!!

Why do you use them as a punishment?

Punishment sounds a bit harsh, but when we have a student acting up a bit, and normal measures are not responding, we give push ups.
We also have rules that the punishment is push ups.... Like students sitting in our spectator chairs....Dropping your weapon...Forgetting your belt...Not bowing when going through Dojang door...etc.

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey I have a Question about push ups when I do them my left wrist always makes a craking sound and it feels uncomfturble (sp) any one know how to fix it?

O

otherground

I like to do pushups on milk crates because I can dip deeper.

P

progressivetactics

YouAgain Hey I have a Question about push ups when I do them my left wrist always makes a craking sound and it feels uncomfturble (sp) any one know how to fix it?

If it is continously cracking throughout the push up, I would check with a doctor, as a normal push up, you wrist should be pretty stable, and not 'cracking'. If it is in the initial positioning, and completion of a set, then for starters, do some wrist strengthening exercises, like judo/jujitsu wrist warm ups, back of the wrist push ups (start on your knees though), etc. Also, consider trying some Glucosimin if there is pain involved. You can take about 1000mg 2 times a day, every day and never have negative side effects. It is an excellent health enhancer.

My ankle pops when I rotate it. It always has. When I was a teen running track, through today stretching out a class, when I sit on the floor and rotate my ankle, it will pop continously. Never had pains, never got weak, but the sounds never went away. It is possible, you are just a squeky clean person!!

otherground I like to do pushups on milk crates because I can dip deeper.

Excellent. I do those occasionally as well.
We also do feet elevated on chairs with clap push ups, and the legs spread out stretch and body bent over doing push ups! I think I like those the best.

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
we do pushups for our tests. I believe my last test we did 210. That's not counting the punishment pushups we all do if someone isn't loud enough or fast enough or makes a mistake on a form or combination.

P

phlux

Hey Paul,

How long would it take you to do 1K pushups? and in what breakdowns did you do them?

10 x 100? or something like that?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't remember how long....maybe 4-6 months? I would have to work my way up to that number again, but I'd imagine it would only take a few weeks.

It started with me trying to break 100. I could only do 40 in one set. I forced myself to do them daily, adding 3 every day. Then once day I went from about 55 to 75. Then I went right to 100 the next day. Once I hit 100, I platued for a while, only able to add 3 a day to my 1st set, except now I was doing them multiple sets, 1 set of 100, 2 of 50. Then I eventually went to every other day, and multiple sets, raising my repetitions gradually.

My eventual break down was 250, 250, 100, 100, 100, 100, 50, 50. The most I ever did at once was 500, but I couldn't bring myself to finish the 1000.

I also practiced 1 handers; able to do 100 at one time, on one hand.

What happends is your body gets acccustomed to a movement, and your able to break plateus because of this. This is how power lifters can lift huge amounts of weight, and things of that nature. Becoming accustomed to the movement is what let's you break plateus, not just strength.

I hit 350 4 reps on the bench the same way, and squat 600 5 reps. In other words, if you want to be able to do alot of pushups, you have to practice doing pushups. If you want to bench or squat large amounts a weight you have to practice that movement, as well as strengthen your muscles.

There are a lot of stronger people then me out there that I can out bench, or out push-up.

Hopefully that helps! :D

E

Elfan

PAUL, two questions for perspective:

1. Do you rest in a position of mechanical advatanve during your long sets?
2. What is the time per rep? (2 seconds positive, 4 negative for example)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan
PAUL, two questions for perspective:

1. Do you rest in a position of mechanical advatanve during your long sets?
2. What is the time per rep? (2 seconds positive, 4 negative for example)

#1. I try not to rest during the set, only after. Unless I am really sore or in trouble do I have to pause/rest in pushup position. Usually I don't, though; I just plug through til the end.

#2 Time per rep; fast as hell! I would have an extreme amount of difficulty doing a 2 second positive, 4 second negative for that many reps! When I do that many push ups, I am trying to work my fast release muscles anyways. So I DO NOT SACRIFICE GOOD FORM (this is important) but I do them very fast. I would say 1-2 per second, depending on how tired I am in the set. Each set only takes me a few minutes.

Good questions!
:D

P

progressivetactics

and for all you kids at home want to get big arms...Read what Paul does... It worked for him. He has some pretty big guns...

Latest Discussions