Punch vs Kick

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personaly I prefer to use upper case weopons for upper case problems and lower case weopons for lower case problems. Kicking a standing opponent in the head is like bending over at the waist to trip or sweep an opponent's leg. I find that If I choose to get to the ground before I'm body slammed ,I might just as well kick the guy in the head because balance is not my present concern.

OP
S

sweeper

bending over at the waist to trip or sweep an opponent's leg
Kinda like a shoot for a single leg? :p

For me kicking is much more natural.. I have always been very discoordinated with my hands, when I was a kid I was so discoordinated I realy didn't have much of a chance playing any sports involving alot of hand work, so I played soccer and I got used to kicking. Actualy I am getting better at punching because my freinds tend not to wear cups and I wouldn't want to slip.

But still my kicks are not used very often to take someone out, they are there to distract and to control range, I like to fight outside so I use alot of thrust kicks. If I can bob or slip a blow I may throw a side kick because it's probably lined up already, and if someone isn't paying attention I will throw a low side kick for range. I don't have a problem kick high as long as my opponant's arms are accounted for (like when I can touch/tieup their arm(s))

celtic bhoy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I personally witnessed a ITF Tkd 3rd Dan fight a boxer. The boxer beat the snot out of him. The Tkd man kept backing to give himself kicking room and the boxer just kept stepping in and punched his head off. He hit him with 3 or 4 punches before he could get his foot off the ground.

Legs may longer than arms but the shortest distance wins every time. They started training in their respective arts at about the same as each other.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Originally posted by celtic bhoy
I personally witnessed a ITF Tkd 3rd Dan fight a boxer. The boxer beat the snot out of him...

...They started training in their respective arts at about the same as each other.

Thats great great analogy for this discussion. However that is only one situation; and one possiblity.

It is obvious in that situation, the boxer had the better foot work. Being able to shorten the distance before the Taekwondoist could even pull off a kick, is a brillant example of that. Staying in the short range , making it hard for a Taekwondoist counter is highly likely.

The reverse is also true. A Taekwondoist's range is on the outside. With good footwork, one can stay on the outside... just as one can stay on the inside. I have seen good demonstrations of this, just as I have seen the reverse. Footwork is the key.

It doesn't matter which arts are up against each other. They all have their respective advantages and disadvantages.

:asian:

OP
S

sweeper

also a modification to what I said.. on any uneven terrain I use my arms almost 100%..

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The fight cited proved nothing about the respective arts. It only showed that one fighter was more skilled than the other, at that particular point of time.

You cannot derive any conclusion about the martial arts involved. What was at test, was just the skills of the 2 fighters at that time.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by celtic bhoy
I personally witnessed a ITF Tkd 3rd Dan fight a boxer. The boxer beat the snot out of him. The Tkd man kept backing to give himself kicking room and the boxer just kept stepping in and punched his head off. He hit him with 3 or 4 punches before he could get his foot off the ground.

Legs may longer than arms but the shortest distance wins every time. They started training in their respective arts at about the same as each other.
And I've witnessed a TKD guy beat up a boxer with similiar training. Similiar size, speed, agility... Your point exactly?

OP
T

the_kicking_fiend

Is it just me or do these arguments about which art is better seem pointless? Everything depends on the practioner. Depends how dedicated you are to it. I don't know any tae kwon do practioners that train all day every day and have their entire lifestyle devoted around tae kwon do but many boxers do. I'm not saying there aren't any such dedicated individuals but most people who practise tkd have another life to worry about but professional boxers are paid just to fight. In any case, like I said, it depends on the individuals!

your friendly fiend
d

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by the_kicking_fiend
Is it just me or do these arguments about which art is better seem pointless? Everything depends on the practioner. Depends how dedicated you are to it. I don't know any tae kwon do practioners that train all day every day and have their entire lifestyle devoted around tae kwon do but many boxers do. I'm not saying there aren't any such dedicated individuals but most people who practise tkd have another life to worry about but professional boxers are paid just to fight. In any case, like I said, it depends on the individuals!

your friendly fiend
d
Exactly

But disregarding the professionals, it's true that no art is really superior given the right factors. Celtic bhoy, you really need to grow up and realize that your experience is indeed limited and you are too narrow-minded.

celtic bhoy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Martial Artist,

Thanks for the advice, but I never brought the subject up, I just offered a scenario.

This is a forum for people to voice their opinions. I don't knock people for theirs, don't knock me for mine.

As for my experience........you know nothing about me.

Best Regards

OP
B

Box Out 2003

when i was training pro we had a tie kwon doe school around the corner from us. they would come out and try and test us in the ring. you dont step into my house and throw hands and not expect a beating. i never went to their place and tried to out kick them. in our house we ruled the roost and any one who came looking got it.

OP
S

soccer50

Any day a boxer will knock a tkd guy out. Lemme tell that a kick takes way more effort that a punch. you guys talk about "depends on the fighter", i bet youve never met a real boxer before. im talking 2-4 years training. their upperbody movement is f'n quick. you try to kick them and they'll move out of the way. then they'll come in and whoop ur ***. tkd ppl cant punch for seetz. you guys think a tkd guy will outpunch a boxer?

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Boxer vs. TKD thread....Wrestling vs BJJ thread...Karate vs MT thread....Tibetan Mystic Penguin vs Antarctic Spastic Monkey thread... been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Not interested.

Back to OP: one of my primary arts is boxing, and i'm much better with my hands than my feet. That being said, one of my favourite high-percentage techs when someone is acting out?

A snappy lead leg front kick to the abdomen. Creates distance, carries weight, and *always* pulls down their hands.

Dont think its punch vs kick, so much as right tools for the job.

Cheers

Bao

(P.S...but the boxer *would* win....:p )

OP
X

XxSweetFacadexX

i'm gonna go back to the first post which talks about punching vs kicking.

honestly, i like the kicks. i've always had fun with them. but, in practicality, you can't really do combat with just kicks.

the downside to kicks is that you throw yourself off balance and become vulnerable to being toppled. but, yay for the strength of it.

hands are much faster than legs.

in my training, we focus first on hands. to illustrate the importance of the hands in reality-based fights, my instructor told me to come at him with all i got. after that, i understood why kicks should come more as a follow up.

in my understanding, you should only throw a kick if your opponent is already off-balanced and/or not ready to counter it. basically, do a combo.

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
How about a kick, trip, deflection, obstruction or sweep to destroy the opponent's base and balance the fraction of a second before, during and/or after using the hand(s) as a strike or grab? Nothing high or fancy, used like a step but with proper angle of incidence, timing and other factors. No great loss of balance for yourself as it is little different than a lateral or circular step in mass commitment.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
For me I use my legs often I feel that you have to keep them away and if your punching them you have to get in close witch is striking and stabing distance if they have a weapon or are a strong puncher. So I like legs better maybe cause I am tall Maybe Cause I am in a Korean Martial Art Mainly

Latest Discussions