pros and cons of distance learning?

martialart-expert

White Belt
Reaction score
What things make a good distance learning in MA? Why? Examples please!
What things make a bad distance learning in MA? Why? are there any examples?
Thanks a lot.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Why so many similar posts on the same subject?

Pros of distance learning a Martial Art.... Um I cannot think of any of the top of my head

Cons about distance learning a martial art... You can't learn a martial art in distance learning.

There are too many variables to consider that you need to be corrected on in order to actually understand and train a martial art.

And to be honest if I ever went to a school or knew of anyone that went to a school where the instructor got his certification via distance learning I would run out the door or tell others to run out the door as fast as possible.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why so many similar posts on the same subject?

Pros of distance learning a Martial Art.... Um I cannot think of any of the top of my head

Cons about distance learning a martial art... You can't learn a martial art in distance learning.

There are too many variables to consider that you need to be corrected on in order to actually understand and train a martial art.

And to be honest if I ever went to a school or knew of anyone that went to a school where the instructor got his certification via distance learning I would run out the door or tell others to run out the door as fast as possible.

The only pro I can think of is that you can "study" any art you want, as long as you can find a video program available. You don't have to live near a teacher.

Like Xue says, the con is that you can't learn good martial arts this way. You are almost guaranteed to get lousy results.

OP
M

martialart-expert

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello.
Can you please give
1) pros (real life examples)
2) cons (real life examples)
of distance learning?

What things are (should be) included in a (good) distance learning in MA(examples)?
What things make a bad distance learning in MA(examples)?
How long does it take(examples)?
How difficult is it to learn from it(examples)?
Can you become an instructor after it(examples)?
Can you defend yourself after finshing the course(examples)?

I beleive that your knowledge can benefit not only me but everyone who seriously concider to take istant learning lessons?

Thank you very much.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not very expert, but I think it depends on the style you practice.
Some styles are more "close range" fighting styles, while other prefere having a little more distance between you and the opponent.

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Im not sure if youre talking about a specific course that involved distancing or what, but I can say that every martial art worth its salt puts heavy emphasis on correct distancing (whatever it is for that art) at some point or another. To truly become good at fighting, you must know the physical distance, the physchological distance, and the energy distance between you and your opponent.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello.
Can you please give
1) pros (real life examples)
2) cons (real life examples)
of distance learning?

What things are (should be) included in a (good) distance learning in MA(examples)?
What things make a bad distance learning in MA(examples)?
How long does it take(examples)?
How difficult is it to learn from it(examples)?
Can you become an instructor after it(examples)?
Can you defend yourself after finshing the course(examples)?

I beleive that your knowledge can benefit not only me but everyone who seriously concider to take istant learning lessons?

Thank you very much.
Some of your experience is related to this one and he a FAQ section.
http://www.cheungswingchun.com/c/4283/1/wing-chun-kung-fu.html

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think what martialart-expert is referring to is learning from DVD's and the like - with the instructor far removed from the student.

If that's what is meant, I have to say that all you can learn is the outer shell of an art. The true art has to be shown, hands-on. You cannot learn many of the small details (which lead up to most of the art) without a qualified instructor there to teach you - regardless of what the ads say.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe a distance program would help if someone were very well versed in the art already and used just as a help tool. To learn a new art without an instructor using just DVD and VHS tapes, can't be done correctly. I don't care if you have to send 10,000 tapes back to the "instructor" before any sort of belt is issued, by the time the tapes are reviewed and feedback sent back, you have moved on and already set in bad habits. I have had an instructor move my shoulders an inch and had that make a giant difference, you miss that with DVD and no instructor right there. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it can be the difference between "getting" a technique and missing it totally because nobody is there to show you how it is supposed to feel.

In short, learning a new art through distance - NO. And I have to agree, if my instructor was taught through a distance program, I would find someone new.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Since there was also a thread on the pros and cons of distance learning in two separte forums, I am merging them here so the discussion can continue.

Lisa Deneka
MartialTalk Super Moderator

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Other way to look at it? ..imagine if all pilots,police officers,fireman, doctors,lawyers,bridge builders,mechanics(planes,helicopters,cars,rigs) were all longer distance training...How good will they be?

Maybe for some of them! they may pass ....but how many will really learn there ART?

Hands on training/coaching and actully doing it in person...maybe one of the best ways to learn.

For some it may work...for the rest of us...UM? .........Aloha

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hello, Other way to look at it? ..imagine if all pilots,police officers,fireman, doctors,lawyers,bridge builders,mechanics(planes,helicopters,cars,rigs) were all longer distance training...How good will they be?

Maybe for some of them! they may pass ....but how many will really learn there ART?

Hands on training/coaching and actully doing it in person...maybe one of the best ways to learn.

For some it may work...for the rest of us...UM? .........Aloha

OH MAN...NOW you tell me… after all the money I spent on my Distance learning to be a Brain Surgeon program ...And let me tell you…those home study labs were painful :)

Sorry, I couldn’t resist

OP
M

martialart-expert

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello.
First of all thank you very much Xue Sheng, akja, pstarr and bydand for your relevant answers and information. I wasn't actually asking bout whether 2 lhave dist. learning or not. I do already have it because I'm somehow "forced" by the sircumstances. I don't know whether it's OK 2 "spam" the whole forum by "copyNpasting" the same stuff into all my threads, that's why I only give a link to my real intentions and explanations of my problems.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=652750#post652750

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
My view would be, if that's your situation, then, that's your situation. Basically, any training is better than nothing. Do what you must, until you don't have to anymore. It's about learning and increasing knowledge. This is what you will do, at the very least, which already helps your growth as a martial artist.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
icon14.gif

Best Of Luck To You!