Progressive Fighting System in Colorado

blp03

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Has anyone trained in Paul Vunak's system with Brian Copeland? I have read up on him and know he is a legit kettle bell trainer but wanted to know about his martial arts system. Thanks

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't know too much about Progressive Fighting, but I read a statement from Paul Vunak in a martial arts mag sometime back where he said that the best defense against a knife attack is to throw yourself to the ground and start biting ankles because he thinks there's nothing else you can do. I thought that was a pretty crappy statement and really had no interest in training with or under such a person after that, but I have a friend who runs a Progressive Fighting school in Maryland who is an exceptional martial artist and speaks highly of Vunak. I know this doesn't help you with your question, but thought I should add my thoughts on Vunak.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know too much about Progressive Fighting, but I read a statement from Paul Vunak in a martial arts mag sometime back where he said that the best defense against a knife attack is to throw yourself to the ground and start biting ankles because he thinks there's nothing else you can do. I thought that was a pretty crappy statement and really had no interest in training with or under such a person after that, but I have a friend who runs a Progressive Fighting school in Maryland who is an exceptional martial artist and speaks highly of Vunak. I know this doesn't help you with your question, but thought I should add my thoughts on Vunak.

That is indeed a strange statement about knife attacks. Not that one should be unconcerned about any weapon attack, or take them lightly, but to advocate just giving up is not good advice either.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That is indeed a strange statement about knife attacks. Not that one should be unconcerned about any weapon attack, or take them lightly, but to advocate just giving up is not good advice either.

Ya, that's pretty much how I took it. I can't think of the month/year of the article. I think it was Black Belt Mag, but I could be wrong. Anyone really interested could probably look it up. I had never heard of Vunak, but after reading that article I had definitely formed a very unfavorable opinion of his idea of self-defense (if he wants to throw himself at my feet when I have a knife in my hand then he'll never see any of the dozens of stabs he'll be receiving at the base of his skull and through his lower back and no amount of biting my ankles would be enough to break through the adrenaline rush of cutting him up).

Like I said though, to be fair, I have a buddy who is pretty much on top of his game and he speaks highly of Vunak. It would be nice if Vunak could read this and write a reply, because I would love to hear what he thinks about my criticism of that article.

Latest Discussions