Problems with shoes; looking for advice

Neonblue

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I got into kickboxing two and a half years ago. After about a year I was kicking hard enough to bruise the top of my foot and even breaking the skin open.

So I started wearing shoes and they worked great.

However, it seems I'm going through a pair every 3 months. I'd like to find a pair that will at least last a year...

I've tried these shoes:

Compression fit, but they stretched out quickly. Felt great for the first 3-4 weeks... Lasted 2 months.
TURF MARTIAL ARTS SHOES (WHITE)

I've had three pairs of these, they stretch out quickly and every one of them I've had the soles separate (and subsequently tear)
ADIDAS SM II SHOES

And the puma Redon (which looks like they're not sold anymore). They fit great but after about 2 months the Velcro was beaten flat (gee I wonder why?) so it no longer held.

I have 13" feet so finding shoes in general is a little more difficult. I'd really like to find a good fitting, durable shoe for my kickboxing. Any recommendations?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know about that but you should be kicking with the shin not the foot anyway

OP
N

Neonblue

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree, but my foot wraps around and slaps the back of the bag... I don't hit directly with the foot.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is this just for hitting a bag? If so, you can pretty much wear whatever you want. I’ve worn running sneakers without any issues.

If you’re looking for something lighter and potentially less damaging to the bag, have you tried wrestling shoes? ASICS makes some good ones. I like the Mat Flex series, as they’re good and cheap. They make some with a heavier sole, but I’ve never worn them. Guys I wrestled with said they’re quite durable and supportive. A good amount more expensive though.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know about that but you should be kicking with the shin not the foot anyway
Depends on the kick and the target. I’m pretty sure you’re talking about roundhouse kicks. I’ll kick with my shin at the ribs and lower. If I’m trying to roundhouse someone’s head, it’ll be with my instep. Otherwise I won’t reach. The higher I go, the closer to my instep. Not by design, but out of necessity.

OP
N

Neonblue

White Belt
Reaction score
The gym requires they are martial arts shoes and not preventing the ankles from moving. So I think wrestling shoes would be out in that case?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The gym requires they are martial arts shoes and not preventing the ankles from moving. So I think wrestling shoes would be out in that case?

Low cut wrestling shoes. Or shin guards that cover the foot.

Even those barefoot runners would work.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrestling is a martial art, so wrestling shoes Are martial arts shoes.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree, but my foot wraps around and slaps the back of the bag... I don't hit directly with the foot.
Point the foot when kicking.

Try a Savate (French Kickboxing) shoe

Attachments

• Point the foot.jpg
    Point the foot.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 237

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrestling shoes don’t really prevent the ankle from moving. Maybe buy a pair from a local store and show him? If he says no, return them.

I wear a pair of the ASICS Mat Flex every now and then at my dojo when my arches start acting up. They don’t prevent me from doing anything. I thought they would the first time I wore them there, after about 2 minutes of warmups, I pretty much forgot I had them on.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
ASICS doesn’t have any low wrestling shoes on their website. Interesting pic. Are you sure they’re wrestling shoes? They look like they could be a thin soled running or leisure shoe.
After doing some more research Asics discontinued their Low Top Wrestling Shoe and their Low Top Wrestling Training Shoe as well though both are still available in a few sizes on Amazon and on the Wrestling Mart.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be leading with the toes. If you don't already, learn to yhrow a roundhouse with your foot pointed like a balerina. Saves the toes and tenses the muscles in the striking area of the lower shin. Alows for more follow through, in my opinoin. Also, be sure to ask your instructor and fellow students for advice. I've seen it before, but I have never heard of that being a persistimg problem.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be leading with the toes. If you don't already, learn to yhrow a roundhouse with your foot pointed like a balerina. Saves the toes and tenses the muscles in the striking area of the lower shin. Alows for more follow through, in my opinoin. Also, be sure to ask your instructor and fellow students for advice. I've seen it before, but I have never heard of that being a persistimg problem.
Wasn't me asking lol :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello, I got into kickboxing two and a half years ago. After about a year I was kicking hard enough to bruise the top of my foot and even breaking the skin open.

So I started wearing shoes and they worked great.

However, it seems I'm going through a pair every 3 months. I'd like to find a pair that will at least last a year...

I've tried these shoes:

Compression fit, but they stretched out quickly. Felt great for the first 3-4 weeks... Lasted 2 months.
TURF MARTIAL ARTS SHOES (WHITE)

I've had three pairs of these, they stretch out quickly and every one of them I've had the soles separate (and subsequently tear)
ADIDAS SM II SHOES

And the puma Redon (which looks like they're not sold anymore). They fit great but after about 2 months the Velcro was beaten flat (gee I wonder why?) so it no longer held.

I have 13" feet so finding shoes in general is a little more difficult. I'd really like to find a good fitting, durable shoe for my kickboxing. Any recommendations?
I doubt very much that you've flattened the velcro, is very very springy, velcro has two common failure modes, one) that you used it so much that all the loops are broken takes quite a long time, or two) that you have fluff Dirt or otheR debris in caught on the hooks, can happen very quickly if you spend time in a fluffy enviroment, the velcro sucks lint to it like a magnet Does iron fillings, half an hour wTh a Nit comb will have it good as new

Failing that out a big elastic background them whilst you do your kicking or learn to kick properly

Last edited:

Latest Discussions