Priorities: Chick-Fil-A, Starbucks, & the Economy

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I think the point was more that the owner and many people in this thread believe that the owner should be exempt from all but positive consequences of his own speech. I don't want to speak for wc-lun, but that was my impression.
I think most people bring up support for the free speech aspect are more upset with the mayors that are coming out saying they want to Ban Chick Fila from there city.

For me, this is exactly what I was talking about. Chick Fil-a, a company that really has no exposure outside of its own region is now being discussed on a national level. They're in the news. Free publicity. The executive leadership took a gamble, and the dialogue continues. Will it eventually hurt them or help them? Hard to say. Depends upon who spins it and how compelling they are.
The more I see it the more I think your 100% correct. I think he knew exactly what he was saying. Besides the Olympics this is one of the top national stories. Most of the people opposed to what he said live in the northern (DEM) part of the country or in Big Dem contorlled cities. Well most of these places dont even have a Chick Fil-a so hes not hurting his bottom line. Most of his stores are located in the south where its more religious and more in line with his beliefs and he basically had them all close ranks around him all the way to the bank. My wifes aunt and uncle came to town Monday from Minn. they said they dont have any Chick Fila where they live but they knew the story and actully went out of the way to make sure they went to one while they were here just to try it and see what all the fuss was about. They are not political at all but said they just wanted to try it.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think most people bring up support for the free speech aspect are more upset with the mayors that are coming out saying they want to Ban Chick Fila from there city.

The more I see it the more I think your 100% correct. I think he knew exactly what he was saying. Besides the Olympics this is one of the top national stories. Most of the people opposed to what he said live in the northern (DEM) part of the country or in Big Dem contorlled cities. Well most of these places dont even have a Chick Fil-a so hes not hurting his bottom line. Most of his stores are located in the south where its more religious and more in line with his beliefs and he basically had them all close ranks around him all the way to the bank. My wifes aunt and uncle came to town Monday from Minn. they said they dont have any Chick Fila where they live but they knew the story and actully went out of the way to make sure they went to one while they were here just to try it and see what all the fuss was about. They are not political at all but said they just wanted to try it.

As true as that might be, I would welcome a cogent and Biblically-supported explanation as how is this very calculated geo-political play ... in any way a "Christian virtue"?

For the record, I contend that it's not; that CFA's leadership knows it's not; and that the vast majority of those who supported this calculated effort, also know it's not.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting read from a gay man's perspective...http://www.owldolatrous.com/

I disagree with him on several points. No one here not even Chick-Fil-A is trying to have him killed. That is just a straw man argument based on how gays in some other countries are treated... As best as I can see, (other than as a result of criminal assault, not by policy) no one is executing Gays in the USA.

Boycotting Chick-fil-a is his right. Yours, mine, theirs, that's all fine. But it goes beyond that when our elected leadership use their power to prevent Chick-fil-a from opening in their town/state based on their personal bias. You cannot argue that supporting Chick-fil-a is "Bullying and no bullying of any kind should be tolerated" while supporting said ban... that too is Bullying and you are a Hypocrite.

which brings me to the "If I disagree with you it doesn't cost you anything, but if you disagree with me it does, so I can disagree with you without being wrong, but you are an evil bully for disagreeing with me" argument is to me just a justification to be a hypocrite.

This shouldn't even be a ****ing issue people. CFA is entitled to believe whatever they want, to spend their money any way they want, and as long as their is no wrongdoing in their ACTUAL buisness practices (i.e. refusing to Hire gays, refusing to serve gays) to practice their business anyway they want. The LBGT community and their supporters are also entitled to believe whatever they want, to spend their money any way they want, and as long as their is no wrongdoing in their interaction with these businesses, (i.e Vandaizing a building, blocking consumers (which they tried to do here in Aurora IL the other night) or using political influence to shut them down) to practice their consumerism anyway they want.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many Islamic countries execute gays. This, is not fodder for protests...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many Islamic countries execute gays. This, is not fodder for protests...

I understand it happens in other countries as a matter of policy; that's why, if you read what I wrote it says: (and I'm bolding for emphasis here)

No one here not even Chick-Fil-A is trying to have him killed. That is just a straw man argument based on how gays in some other countries are treated... As best as I can see, (other than as a result of criminal assault, not by policy) no one is executing Gays in the USA.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Easy there. I didn't say I agreed with everything he said. However, it is the viewpoint of a gay person in the US. I also do think he has a lot of valid points as well. Gays are discriminated against in this country. If an organization were trying to make it illegal to be of a certain ethnic, religious, or even social statuses, most everyone in the US would think them idiotic and hateful. A group wants to make it illegal to be gay and there are a significant amount of people that not only agree, but donate to that cause. Mr Cathy is one of those people.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand it happens in other countries as a matter of policy; that's why, if you read what I wrote it says: (and I'm bolding for emphasis here)

I wasn't responding to you. Just to the rather blatant hypocrisy and cowardice of the gay community and their supporters. Were they truly interested in rights for gays, instead of punishing those who think differently, they would protest outside the consulates and embassies of nations where homosexuality is a capital crime.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Easy there. I didn't say I agreed with everything he said.

And just to be clear, in my post when I say "You" I was referring to the author of the Article... not you personally.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I tend to be more libertarian on this issue. If you own a business, it belongs to you, you should be able to serve, not serve whoever you want, hire, fire whoever you want for whatever reason you want. If you like certain types of people or don't like others you should be able to act on those likes/dislikes as much as you want. The only organization that should be forced to engage in equality on all fronts is the government. The government should not be allowed to discrimanate in its hiring/firing practices. Much like you have a choice as a property owner, your home, you can hire or fire a plumber for whatever reason you want, without regard to explaining the reason. A business should be no different.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some interesting thoughts...

http://spectator.org/archives/2012/08/08/does-the-left-really-care-abou

[h=2]Does the Left Really Care About Gay Marriage?[/h]By AARON GOLDSTEIN on 8.8.12 @ 6:08AM
Only if it's a white conservative Christian who opposes it. Otherwise…

It has been almost exactly four years to the day since Barack Obama attended Pastor Rick Warren's Saddleback Forum. You may recall that during this forum, candidate Obama said, "I believe marriage is the union between a man and a woman."
Remember the hue and cry that followed from outraged liberals and progressives?
Well, of course you don't.
The reason you don't remember is that there wasn't any outrage from the Left concerning Obama's position on gay marriage. If anything, the Left loved Obama even more. Ellen DeGeneres didn't see fit to question Obama on gay marriage during an October 2008appearance on her show via satellite. Instead, Ellen grilled him on such pressing matters of state such as Halloween, George Clooney, and dancing. Let's just say that Ellen didn't give John McCain the kid glove treatment even though his position on gay marriage was exactly that of Obama's. And if not for Vice President Biden's loose lips, Obama's public position on gay marriage in 2012 would have been the same as it was in 2008 and, for that matter, the same as it was during much of 2012. I submit that if President Obama still maintained that marriage was between a man and a woman that he would not lose a single liberal or progressive vote. Did the Left ever give Dick Cheney props for supporting gay marriage before his distant cousin President Obama? When push comes to shove, the Left doesn't really care about gay marriage all that much.
This, of course, isn't to say the Left doesn't care about gay marriage at all. The Left certainly cares about gay marriage when it's a white, Christian conservative who says marriage is between a man and a woman.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
And in the latest news:

Chick-fil-A, the fast food chain that sparked a firestorm earlier this year after its president made public comments against same sex marriage, has agreed to stop funding anti-gay groups, a Chicago alderman says.
Joe Moreno, the alderman whose opposition of a proposed Chick-fil-A on Chicago's north side helped fuel the controversy, told the Chicago Tribune the company has pledged to include a statement of respect for all sexual orientations in a memo to staffers and has promised that the WinShape Foundations, its not-for-profit arm, would no longer contribute money to groups that oppose gay marriage. Moreno said he will recommend that Chick-fil-A's construction plans be approved.

Thoughts?

Latest Discussions