Presidential Candidates Religion -Issue or no?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I vote for the candidate as a whole, integrated unit. As others have said, a person's religious convictions and beliefs - and how s/he expresses those convictions and beliefs, and how they affect his/her actions - are considerably more important to me than the faith, or lack thereof, the person professes. I would much rather vote for an atheist who has a proven track record of integrity and moral behavior than a strongly religious person of any persuasion who allows his/her religion to override the rule of law.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the risk of thread drift, it seems to me that Americans have become more interested in the religious practices of candidates and elected officials. Notwithstanding that JFK's election, as a Roman Catholic, was significant at the time, I get the impression religion was treated as more of a private matter, even when speaking of public figures. Is that a valid observation on my part?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the risk of thread drift, it seems to me that Americans have become more interested in the religious practices of candidates and elected officials. Notwithstanding that JFK's election, as a Roman Catholic, was significant at the time, I get the impression religion was treated as more of a private matter, even when speaking of public figures. Is that a valid observation on my part?
Its only a private matter unless their oppnents think they can use it against them. Polititions are like MUZAK, they play to the majority.
Sean

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't consider the religion of a candidate. That being said, often times a candidates religious values reflect on his take (and votes) on various issues. So maybe in a backhanded way, I do occasionally.

It is the candidate that makes his/her religion part of the platform or part of whom they are as a prospective president then it is an issue even if I try to ignore it. :(

Latest Discussions