Predator or Prey Game

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey All,

This is from J. J. Bittenbinder's Tough Target.

Has anyone played the predator or prey game?

You walk along the street and try to guess who is the predator and who could be the prey.

Pretend to be a predator and try to pick out the easy targets. A lioness looks for the easy kill not the strongest in the herd.

What makes them easy targets?

Now what can you do to look more like a predator than a prey? This reminds me of the bear joke...just run faster than your friend.

What do you do to look more like a predator?

Anything else you do to deter the yoyos from selecting you?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey All,

You walk along the street and try to guess who is the predator and who could be the prey.

Pretend to be a predator and try to pick out the easy targets. A lioness looks for the easy kill not the strongest in the herd.

Now what can you do to look more like a predator than a prey? This reminds me of the bear joke...just run faster than your friend.

Been doing that for years.....it's a VERY valuable skill that you only improve through practice.

Actually, it's been my experience that there are 3 groups, not just two.......there are Predators, there is Prey, and then there are Bulls. Bulls aren't Predators but they aren't exactly Prey.....Predators look at Bulls as a tough obstacle to tackle and avoid them.

Why is that distinction important? Because a truely skilled Predator isn't trying to advertise his strength to deter attack.....he's trying to conceal his motives and strength......undetected movement for total surprise on the enemy!

You don't really try to look more like a predator, as predators try to conceal themselves.....the goal is to look more like the healthy male Cape Buffalo of the herd.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're the second person that has mentioned the third group.

Sometimes the wolves dress up as sheep to sneak in for an easy kill.

Sheep, Wolves, and Sheep Dogs
http://mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html
Sheep,Wolves, Sheep Dogs......and Rams.

Sheep Dogs and Wolves are genetically the same animal, both predators.....the difference being that Sheep Dogs were systematically breed and trained to be beneficial......but the unique characteristics that make them useful to man is their predatory nature.

One can actually extend the analogy to good purpose by studying different types of predators.........Wolf like pack hunters, and lone stalkers, such as Leopards.......human predators respond in the same fashion.

Wolf like pack hunters would be gangs and groups of young men looking for prey.......they act very much like wolves and other pack hunters......they have a loose hierarchy, they stalk prey as a group. If you watch young men approaching potential prey you'll see them approach as a group, and often feel the prey out, to see what it does. As with wolves, running away is the CUE for the pack to ATTACK AND PURSUE!

Lone hunters use more stealth and guile......Ted Bundy was very skilled at approaching women to kill.......he would sometimes put his arm in a cast and have women help him to carry something to his car......then, when the moment was right......undetected movement for total surprise on the enemy/prey.......he would bludgeon them unconcious with his cast.

Lone predators are always tracking potential prey......their mouth may smile, but their eyes are always tracking......they attempt to deceive with words and actions.......a lone predator is one of the most dangerous animals a police officer or civilian will face.

Many police officers, like civilians, cue in to ego defense aggression as a threat......the guy venting, mouthing off, making threats......EVERYONE recognizes him as a threat, and he is......but the predator doesn't do that......he doesn't vent, he doesn't threaten......he's polite and cooperative......he waits patiently for the moment of COMPLETE advantage.....and when he ATTACKS it isn't like the wolf attack where they pursue and nip at your heels until they run you down.......it's an all out BLITZ to kill as QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!

What is the best way to detect a lone skilled predator? The key is in arousal.....the skilled predator is calm.....calmer than he should be sometimes......let me use a police officer as an example.......being arrested is a traumatic experience for most people.....an emotional one. It is expected that most people will grumble and gripe, sometimes even argue. What should REALLY set off the bad radar, however, is the guy who DOESN'T argue, who DOESN'T gripe, who, say, is not only cooperative, but even OVERLY POLITE and cordial.......not in a nervous way, but in a smiling 'No problem, officer' way.......THAT guy is possibly dangerous! He may be controlling his arousal to paint you a FALSE picture.....put you off guard, make you slow to respond and distract you.......and moment he catches your GUARD down he'll KILL YOU!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Anyone who is more preoccupied with something other than their surroundings has a good chance of falling into the prey category. Someone carrying stuff in one hand, ie: shopping bags, chatting on their cell in their other hand, fumbling for their keys to open their car door, etc.

Can you still be aware if you're doing something else? Sure, but many seem to not be as aware as they should.

Your body language plays a big part. How do you carry yourself? Unaware of whats going on around you, head down, etc. or head up, being sure of yourself, looking around you.

You dont have to be some paranoid nut everytime you walk out of your house, but you shouldnt have your head in the clouds either. :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

:D. Good advice from Mike there in that you have to maintain a balance otherwise you'll spend your whole waking life in 'alarm' mode.

An interesting insight from mac too about the 'disguised' predator. I recall reading about this many, many {:eek:} years ago when I was, of all things, researching the psychology of motivation and self-control for an economics paper I was writing on consumption habits.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
:D. Good advice from Mike there in that you have to maintain a balance otherwise you'll spend your whole waking life in 'alarm' mode.

An interesting insight from mac too about the 'disguised' predator. I recall reading about this many, many {:eek:} years ago when I was, of all things, researching the psychology of motivation and self-control for an economics paper I was writing on consumption habits.
I believe that it was Col. Grossman who noted that what we call 'Fight or Flight' is a response to threats OTHER than other human beings.......when the threat is human, we one of FOUR responses......Fight, Flight, Posture and Submit.

More over, there are two MAIN types of Aggression.....Defensive and Predator.......Defensive aggression involves arousal, and 'Fight, Flight, Posture and Submit' are one of the four responses available to deal with threats when Defensive aggression is aroused. Defensive aggression is easy to spot BECAUSE of arousal......we all know someone who's scared or angry by looking at them.

Predatory aggression, as pointed out, generally doesn't involve visible arousal.....successful human predators are able to mask their arousal state because they know it's a giveaway to aggression.

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are different kinds of preditors, serial rapists, child molesters, serial killers, etc..., all look different from different walks of life each with their own different mental problems, they all dress different trying to be normal, other preditors like gang members trying to get into a gang or trying to flex muscles for the gang to see that they are strong and hard. The hard cases are easy to spot, marines or ex-marines, leos, and such. Many times they can all be preditors.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
there's all sorts of predators and all sorts of prey out there.
the only way to develop strength is to train ones tanden that is the source of all physical and astral power. the knowledge of nature and of controling ones movements and awareness from ma training is also helpful.

j

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been playing that game since I was a kid, and I recommend it to my students as well.

My wife used to teach high school and her students comments about people indicate that they understand the concept as well.

Latest Discussions