practice shuko

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes his work is very good. The wait was long but worth it. Like I said he has definately made a name for himself here in the States and his prices are not unreasonable. Fun tools to work with but definately you better be on your game as they are the real thing. (no messing around)

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
I understand that.lol. A former instructor of mine had a training shoge he made from wood, nylon rope and a heavy, hard rubber ring, and that thing itself wasn't exactly harmless. Even getting nailed in the sternum with that ring, though it was rubber, was quite painful. I can imagine what a heavy iron or steel ring would do.:uhohh:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I made my practice Shuko out of old LEO leather belts I had when I went through the academy. Tough leather and then I made four bands and connected them with velco and punched dulled rubber screws through and put bolts on them. (the screws were sanded down) Very efficent and practical and they work very much like the real thing but yet are safe. Total cost was less than $5 as I already had the belts. Eventually though I will buy some of Ed's practice Shuko and upgrade. :ultracool

Brian R. VanCise

A

AgentSmith

i actually made a practice shoge our of sprinkler pipes (two pipes with a t-joint and then two shorter pipes with an angle joint for the hooked part of the blade) covered with about 2 rolls black electrical tape, nylon boat rope, and a ring made of flexible sprinkler tubing also covered in electrical tape. i think it cost me under $20 to do the whole thing...
it's really really heavy...in fact if the angled tubing was straight it would be a legit tonfa or nightstick...not sure if that is necessarily a good thing.

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Yes his work is very good. The wait was long but worth it. Like I said he has definately made a name for himself here in the States and his prices are not unreasonable. Fun tools to work with but definately you better be on your game as they are the real thing. (no messing around)

Brian R. VanCise

Yes Ed has made a good copy of the shuko I make, right down to rivet placement leather color and leather inside the bands. The rings on originals Shoge's are flat rings though not made from round bar stock. I can't post pictures on this site otherwise I would post a pic of one I just sent to Japan.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Koinu said:
Yes Ed has made a good copy of the shuko I make, right down to rivet placement leather color and leather inside the bands. The rings on originals Shoge's are flat rings though not made from round bar stock. I can't post pictures on this site otherwise I would post a pic of one I just sent to Japan.

If you email me the pictures at my site I can upload them here for you!
Sorry I did not think about this sooner.

Brian R. VanCise

Latest Discussions