practice shuko

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently spoke to my instructor regarding training with shuko. He had done it in the past but pretty much mauled some of his shirts. He had looked for some practice shuko but found very few, and the ones he found were very expensive ($45 or so each). Does anyone know of a decent supplier that has them relatively cheap?

For those of you that do train with shuko, do you use the real ones? practice ones? Do you also use the foot devices? That ones I've seen look exceptionally difficult to walk in.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to get some practice shuko too. One of my instructors bought a pair while in South Florida, and I thought he said they were about $15. I never got the name of the place. I think it was just a small martial arts store.

So they must be out there. As far as ashiko I have never used them or seen them used.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ed Green's tools are certainly not cheap. His Shuko are $52 for the pair, and I have NOT tried them out.

But, I have had really good experiences with his training tools in the past.

www.budoweapons.com

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Ed Green's tools are certainly not cheap. His Shuko are $52 for the pair, and I have NOT tried them out.

But, I have had really good experiences with his training tools in the past.

www.budoweapons.com

Thanks rutherford. I can buy -real- ones for less than $30. Just on principle, it seems wrong that practice weapons cost more!

My instructor is thinking of having some made from leather by a friend who does leatherwork. We will see... would be alot quicker and convenient to order some, but not at that price...

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Thanks rutherford. I can buy -real- ones for less than $30. Just on principle, it seems wrong that practice weapons cost more!

You can buy training Shuko in Japan at the Hombu I am sure someone will point out from whom.

You can buy real Shuko for under $30 WoW. Would they be real shuko or Real cheap and nasty ones that are far from real ? :D

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Koinu said:
You can buy training Shuko in Japan at the Hombu I am sure someone will point out from whom.

You can buy real Shuko for under $30 WoW. Would they be real shuko or Real cheap and nasty ones that are far from real ? :D

I've not much experience w/ them, so hard for me to tell. Want me to find his source? I could go back and ask... they looked ok to me, not sure how durable they would be.

I'd love to hear how to obtain them from the Hombu..

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
in the Fall 2005 issue of Bujinmag I reviewed Ed Greens training Shuko as well as a pair from a company in Canada, both were nice but functioned differently. Bujin Design was asked to participate in the review but we never heard from them, thier training shuko looked the safest but the least functional.

IMO, you cant go wrong with anything Ed Green makes. Also this company (http://www.paart.hr) has some training shuko that look a lot like Ed's and thier training tools look pretty nice.

good luck!
Markk Bush

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I've not much experience w/ them, so hard for me to tell. Want me to find his source? I could go back and ask... they looked ok to me, not sure how durable they would be.

Well If they look like the one's in my avatar they might be real. If they are the ones with velcro wrist straps and welded on teeth bent at 90 degree's they would be the cheap and nasty ones.

mrhnau said:
I'd love to hear how to obtain them from the Hombu..

If you wanted training shuko (rubber ones) , all you need to do is politely ask around at the Hombu and someone will point you in the right direction.

If you wanted real hand forged shuko politely ask around at the Hombu and someone will point you in the right direction.

The Rubber ones you could most likely purchase at the Hombu during your visit . The Real shuko are not cheap and are custom made , you would need to send your hand measurements and wait till I have time to make them.

I also don't think Ed Greens training Shuko or anything else he makes is expensive . In fact I think everything Ed makes if VERY good value for your money.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Koinu said:

And on this note, does anyone know of a source for REAL shuko? Im not talking the cheap ones you find on every "ninja gear" store... but the real thing...

Koinu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
And on this note, does anyone know of a source for REAL shuko? Im not talking the cheap ones you find on every "ninja gear" store... but the real thing...

;-) I have for years been custom making hand forged Shuko (see avatar) and other hard to obtain tools for Buyu. I am having a little difficulty with the postal service here atm refusing to allow me to post weapons (see Aust post weapons ban thread on MAP) but this should be sorted out within a few weeks I hope.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, question partially answered... I got some shuko for my birthday! ya!

so, next question... anyone know any useful techniques for safely using shuko? I've contemplated getting sticking cork on the ends to make them a bit more safe. has anyone tried this yet? don't have enough cork yet, but that won't take long. any other ideas for dulling the points?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I received my Shuko and Kyoketsu Shoge yesterday from Ed Green and I have to say that they are very, very well made. Good steel and you can really tell that Ed puts alot of work into his tools. Ed was recommended to me by a high level Bujinkan Shihan and I have to say that he definately was correct in saying that Ed makes quality products. The long wait was definately worth it. Here is a picture.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Attachments

• $Shuko & Shoge.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 269

Latest Discussions