Possible Bomb attack in London

kenpo0324

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My prayers and thoughts go out to all of the victims and Their family's.

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bombs on rush hour traffic on one of the busiest underground systems of the world - I think the target was loss of life don't you. Disruption will of course be massive but temporary.

As to their goal - what exactly do terrorist gain - the IRA have been active for over three decades, have they acheived their goals?

Jonah
I don't think it's quite so obvious. There are other better targets if their primary goal is massive loss of life. I'm of the mind that their number one priority is to make all of us feel impotent and powerless.

These people gain a great deal from their actions. Part of their success relates to their idelogy, but beyond that, they've succeeded in making a show of force against a much larger and more powerful nation. There's also of course an element of self-satisfaction that goes long with successfully affecting what is perceived as an enemy.

T

TonyM.

This just sickens me. I'll pray for the victims and for swift and terrible justice for the perps.

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Floating Egg said:
....II'm of the mind that their number one priority is to make all of us feel impotent and powerless.....self-satisfaction that goes long with successfully affecting what is perceived as an enemy.
They obviously underestimate the power of the english resolve. This is by no means the first campaign of terror on our shores, by numerous groups and I am sure it will not be the last. We reamin here and stand up ready for the next.

jonah

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
They obviously underestimate the power of the english resolve. This is by no means the first campaign of terror on our shores, by numerous groups and I am sure it will not be the last. We reamin here and stand up ready for the next.

jonah
Ah, but it doesn't just affect you. People from other nations will be watching.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
But you have to admit that the blatently illeagle stuff probably helped this to happen.
No.

I do not have to admit any such thing.

I am glad that you are so insightful into the ways of a criminal mind. I certainly don't know why people blow up buses and trains.

But, I can understand an act of 'civil disobedience'; such as lying down in the streets to stop traffic or a journalist going to jail rather than reveal a source promised confidentiality.

And for the record, any physical actions against law enforcement should not occur.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We live in a "free society", so we can peacfully protest and make our opinions heard it is our right........these bastards who brought carnage to the streets of London, today, come from a oppressive sick regime and have no rights or place in a civilised society, I hope retribution for the "guilty" is swift.
I am afraid I do not admire any part of their planning in the slightest, an open city like London is a soft target for these groups, our freedom and openness is our greatest strength when battling against those who would steal it away from us.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have not heard anything since this morning. Has any group claimed to be responsible. Sorry if it has already been answerwed, I am in a hurry.

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And yet, ironically, it's the freedoms that are usually the first to go when national security is at stake.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is long, but it is important to read. Mr. Podhoretz makes some important points about this struggle...but it is not the whole story...

WWIV

upnorthkyosa

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Floating Egg said:
I wonder how much planning was involved. Was their goal massive loss of life or just disruption? If the death toll isn't high will it still be considered a success by the group?
Their goal was a little of both and yeah if bombs went off and people are "terrified" and there's wounded and dead... then yes it's a success. Anything to disrupt the normal "day to day" is a success for those animals. Also consider this... the ultra-anal tightening of security in this country (probably soon in England) is a disruption of our regular lives.
So what does this mean for the involvement of the Brits and the War Against Terror? More committed I'm guessing.

My heart and sorrows go to the families and the vicitms of the attacks. I pray they will find justice and that right soon. :asian:

I'll add this after cruising the web on related stories. Here in the U.S. our "terror-alert" goes up to Orange and specifically for transit... hmm, okay.

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pointless waste of life!

London went through all this before in the 80's and early 90's. It achieved very little then, and the attacks today are equally futile.

The thing with terrorism is it only works if it inspires irrational fear and anger. Events today are tragic, but with all respect to those murdered, injured or bereaved, it simply doesn't inspire that much fear, and the natural anger will be kept in check.

We've seen it all before. "London Bombed" is not a shock headline, and the disruption is not much worse than when there is a tube or rail strike.

If today's attacks are the best that the planners of this atrocity can come up with they are wasting their time and other peoples lives.

My condolences to those unlucky enough to be affected by today's criminal stupidity.

Dan

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dan G said:
Pointless waste of life!

London went through all this before in the 80's and early 90's. It achieved very little then, and the attacks today are equally futile.

The thing with terrorism is it only works if it inspires irrational fear and anger. Events today are tragic, but with all respect to those murdered, injured or bereaved, it simply doesn't inspire that much fear, and the natural anger will be kept in check.

We've seen it all before. "London Bombed" is not a shock headline, and the disruption is not much worse than when there is a tube or rail strike.

If today's attacks are the best that the planners of this atrocity can come up with they are wasting their time and other peoples lives.

My condolences to those unlucky enough to be affected by today's criminal stupidity.

Dan

totally agree Dan I have lost your number and was unable to call to see if you were ok.

There is a thread on our forum and it would be appreciated if you would post there to let people know how everyone is.

http://pub3.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=202059768&cpv=2

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
Cheers Amrik.

Have posted, will PM.

See you at summer camp the weekend after next.

Dan

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
We live in a "free society", so we can peacfully protest and make our opinions heard it is our right........these bastards who brought carnage to the streets of London, today, come from a oppressive sick regime and have no rights or place in a civilised society, I hope retribution for the "guilty" is swift.
I am afraid I do not admire any part of their planning in the slightest, an open city like London is a soft target for these groups, our freedom and openness is our greatest strength when battling against those who would steal it away from us.
When Timothy McVie bombed the Oklahoma City Murrough building, I jumped to a conclusion about who might be invovled .... I thought it was Saddam Hussein.

Fool me twice shame on me.

Perhaps we should allow the powers that be (CIA, FBI, MI5 and local police) do some research about who might have been behind these attacks before jumping to conclusions. In the end, it may very well be 'The Secret al Qaeda in Europe'.

I wonder if Sweden may find itself labelled as an 'oppressive sick regime'.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
do we have any reason to beleive it WASN'T Islamic extremists that did this? i wouldnt think so.

"Rejoice, Islamic nation. Rejoice, Arab world. The time has come for vengeance against the Zionist crusader government of Britain in response to the massacres Britain committed in Iraq and Afghanistan," said the statement, which was translated by The Associated Press in Cairo.
"The heroic mujahedeen carried out a blessed attack in London, and now Britain is burning with fear and terror, from north to south, east to west," the statement said.
"We warned the British government repeated. We have carried out our promise and carried out a military attack in Britain after great efforts by the heroic mujahedeen over a long period to ensure its success."
"We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all crusader governments that they will receive the same punishment if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan."
The Secret Organization of Al Qaeda in Europe

did i miss something? why should Sweden be offended?

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
do we have any reason to beleive it WASN'T Islamic extremists that did this? i wouldnt think so.

I can only say that here the police nor the government have speculated as to who it was who did this awful thing.

As an englishman I too must take that line and not assume till evidence has been sought and found and further facts have been gleaned.

We shouldn't jump to conclusions.

The event was horrible the destruction was (and I don't mean to offend) negligable. Our thoughts should be with the families affected and not who was to blame, idealistically positive thoughts are better than negative ones.

Peace and prayers to all those affected

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
Again, I say .... Timothy McVeigh

Sapper6 said:
did i miss something? why should Sweden be offended?
Nice quote ... do you know it wasn't posted by a 14 year old wise-crack from Denmark? I don't.

Could someone claim that they were responsible for the attacks, but really have nothing to do with it?

And if it is a 'Secret' organization .... it could be Sweden, it could be Germany, it could be Portugal.

I believe our President has stated we will make no distinction between the terrorsits and the states that harbor them. Such sentiments, while excellent in John Wayne movies, don't really hold up too well in the real world.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
of course, it could be some else who did it. going off of recent history, i'm lead to believe anytime the Islamic Extreme takes credit for a mass attack/terrorist event, it was later surmised that was the case.

in the case of McVeigh, no one else took credit for the OKC attack, then later found out it was him to begin with.

i try not to theorize as much as most people do. :idunno:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So Mike...would you want to place a wager on who dunnit?

Latest Discussions