poomsae help

ccultrara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well about a year ago my GM redid our curriculum to add more kickboxing techs to compliment TKD's kicks. One problem, he changed our forms from the palgwes to some made up creation of his that consists of 12 steps in a T shape with slight difficulty increase each rank. Any ideas on how to challenge the students more with these forms?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe you can post a video so we can see or maybe a link to them would help.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well about a year ago my GM redid our curriculum to add more kickboxing techs to compliment TKD's kicks. One problem, he changed our forms from the palgwes to some made up creation of his that consists of 12 steps in a T shape with slight difficulty increase each rank. Any ideas on how to challenge the students more with these forms?

Have you tried doing them in rotating fashing facing a differet wall in the Do Jang each time they do it. Then do PoomSE games eliminate anyone who makes a mistake must sit down untill one person is left, loosers have to do push ups but must imitae some animal pig, donkey, ect chosen by the winner.

Multiple Patern PoomSe divide group depending on size of room facing North South East and West to go simultaneously its very fun if they end facing all in the middle.

Eyes closed or blindfolded (note only on your count) a facing same way then North South East West. Do them to music, Do them with weopons most forms can be addapted use Si or Coma or sticks.

Go online and search for TKD games, We now do TKD Frisbie that have holes in the middle for hands or feet creates eye hand coordination and TKD volley ball with balloons.

Question are your black belt tests and certificates Kukkiwon and WTF??

Do you belong to a Kwan??

OP
C

ccultrara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont have a video but i could easily explain. Ill use our white belt form as the example:
joohnbi stance to start. Turn left and execute a low block. step forward and straight puch. Step behind u and turn towards the right and low block. step forward and punch again. Pivot the front foot to the front and low block. Step forward three times each with a punch. Look behind u and low block followed by three more step punches.
The rest of our keub forms follow this with a different block.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's Kibon Poomse Base form 1, based on what you're saying. Are you doing Taegeuks for higher forms?

Carl

I would have to agree, what you are saying is true than you are doing the Kibon poomsae and mosy likeky that will be followed by the Tea Gueks, these are not forms your Mastewr made up but what the KKW switched over too years ago. There is probaly hu8ndreds of Videos on youtube with people doing these forms if that will help you.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to challenge the students more with these forms?

Whatever these forms are, there are many ways to jazz up the practice of a seemingly simple pattern, even without getting into the touchy issue of form applications since TKD forms are generally taught without them.

1) Use low stances instead of the typical high ones found in taekwondo. This will work out your legs.

2) Perform each pattern at 1.5 times the normal speed. Don't cheat and shortchange any of the techniques. Try for maximum power and speed. This can be surprisingly difficult to do.

3) Add something like a burpee or 5 pushups to the end of each sequence before you make a directional change in the form for some additional strength and cardio work.

4) Perform the entire form with dynamic tension across your whole body. Don't cheat and just express the tension in your arms. Everything. That means buttocks, thighs, neck, etc. Congrats, you just got a taste of the iron body training found in some karate and gong fu styles.

5) Perform the form with the reverse side of your body. A left down block is now one with the right. How well do you really know this form? You'll find out with this drill.

OP
C

ccultrara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We are WTF affiliated and receive KKW certificates. And as much i would rather be doing tae geuks, they are not. I know what the tae geuck forms look like. Our yellow belt form is the same except with an outside middle block. I will try to use some of the games tho and see how it goes

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont have a video but i could easily explain. Ill use our white belt form as the example:
joohnbi stance to start. Turn left and execute a low block. step forward and straight puch. Step behind u and turn towards the right and low block. step forward and punch again. Pivot the front foot to the front and low block. Step forward three times each with a punch. Look behind u and low block followed by three more step punches.
The rest of our keub forms follow this with a different block.

This is Tang Soo Do's Kee Cho Hyung Il Boo. If the second one is a high punch and a high block that's Kee Cho Hyung Ee Bo. They are on You Tube done by lots of different TSD groups, it won't load for me at a moment otherwise I'd post one up.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
...he changed our forms...to some made up creation of his...

It's interesting to read this post again. Your wording makes it sound like you're opposed to your GM's decision and need more guidance to execute what he intends. What does he say when you ask him?

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the same form we use for white belts; we call it H Form 1. At yellow, we learn H Forms 2 & 3 (same, but with high block added for 2 and high block and front kick added for 3), then we move on to forms with other patterns at orange belt.

OP
C

ccultrara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
@Carl, i am completely against it and so is the other instructor i am with. For fifteen years, we used the palgwes and when i went through the geup ranks we had nunchaku and bo staff forms and music forms thrown in for variety. They were harder but we enjoyed them. Now, the GM is just making it easy for the kids. I can teach one of the higher belts the block and strike and he/she will do the form without any movement instruction. It's just frustrating to see these 15 second"forms" being performed when theres so much else to learn

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Carl, i am completely against it and so is the other instructor i am with. For fifteen years, we used the palgwes and when i went through the geup ranks we had nunchaku and bo staff forms and music forms thrown in for variety. They were harder but we enjoyed them. Now, the GM is just making it easy for the kids. I can teach one of the higher belts the block and strike and he/she will do the form without any movement instruction. It's just frustrating to see these 15 second"forms" being performed when theres so much else to learn

15 second forms? Mmm methinks you aren't doing them right. Doing things to music does not a martial artist make. It seems as if your instructor want things done seriously and you want to play with the toys.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

From the thread on poom rank: ccultrara said "I am applying for my 3rd Dan KKW now at 17 and will receive my school's 4th Dan by 18 but i will be waiting till 21 for my KKW rightfully so"

I'm not in your situation, but it doesn't make sense that an experienced GM would change just to make it easy for the kids. I strongly recommend sitting face-to-face with your GM and clearing this up. I think it's uncommon that a junior master sees more clearly than his GM, so for the sake of your students I hope you make very sure you get all of the information you can. Is this GM the one who taught you, or do you have a master in between?

Good luck with a tough situation.
Carl

OP
C

ccultrara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Carl and I have talked to him, so has the other instructor. He has been my Master since the beginning but i have had a couple of other instructors through the years all who taught his curriculum. I dont know if its about the money for him, but i like the challenge and he doesn't see that the kids get bored with the forms. One of my original instructors from way back recently came back and can hopefully do some damage on the situation.

OP
C

ccultrara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am also more analytical. i look in between the lines and not just what's on the outside. I see how the students react and compare it to how my generation of students react. If its worse, then i know something needs to change

Latest Discussions