Points to ponder

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Zhao Dai Wei

Some of you folks get so upset over things you have no knowlegde of, can't control and can't change :rolleyes:

You mean like the FACT that there is no such organization in Kobe that you claim to have registered your bogus Soke title with.
You mean like the FACT that you claim an 8th dan in a system and didn’t know how many kata were in it.
You mean like the FACT that you use the word Soke incorrectly. Please show me the Soke in an American English Dictionary.
I’d say you are the one that lacks knowledge if anybody.

You guys think I'm questionable.

I don’t think…..I know you are and proven you to be.

You continue to make inuendo and allegations....but never once backed them up.

Speaking of BACKING things up……….give us those name of teachers and organizations……..no extra information or excuses. Just names and dates.

So I say to you and your friends...back it up. Prove that I have not been awarded a Sokeship from Grandmasters. Prove that I do not have an 8th Dan in a style. Prove I have not been in combat against real Bg's as I have stated. Prove that my student's aren't VERY well trained.

It’s easier to prove something exists than does not.
SO, why don’t you pop those dan ranks and Soke-doke titles up here so we can have a peak at them. ;)
That is unless you have something to hide……..or you really didn’t get them.

I has provide great entertainment value though :D

Yes you has…..and you has been a perfect example of what people should avoid in their martial training.

Soke is used all over the world.

True, and more often than not it is used incorrectly by frauds that have little understanding of the meaning.

Have a nice day [opps there I go being nice again :] ]

You are hardly nice.
You are one of those guys that tries to play to the “lurkers” hoping to get their support for your defense.
Guys like you will post paragraphs slamming your opposition and then say something hypocritical.

OP
A

A.R.K.

You speak alot of fact...but post opinion.

I have a Sokeship certificate that clearly states Kobe, Japan on the bottom with the stamp. The rest is in Japanese.

I have a certificate from Dong Koo Yudo Kwan in Korea.

I also have a Sokeship certificate from Saudia Arabia.

There have only been 3 kata in Pangai-noon, at least in the system I was taught. Funny how if there 'were' a fourth one that Kanbun was not taught it somewhere in his ten years of training and 3 years of teaching. You would think they could have slipped it in there somewhere in Fukein.

As I said several times before, perhaps Soke doesn't mean founder originally but it sure does now. Not for me alone. Seems quite a few people all over the world use it in this fashion. They do not seem to be to overly concerned with your disaproval, or anyones elses for that matter. And it doesn't effect their abilities in the slightest...or mine.

So no....you have PROVEN nothing, except that courtesy is a foreign concept to you.

The burden is on you however and here is why; Between my 2nd and 3rd post you rambled on in rapid succession for 10 posts in which you ranted and raved and accussed and attacked. I didn't have the fair opportunity to reply even to your first one...and you know that. You cannot deny that. So since you have convinced yourself without ever waiting for me to respond you must have solid evidence to back up your inuendos and accusations.

If you don't your either a blowhard or a liar or a combination of the two....

Which is it? Statements like this..

It’s easier to prove something exists than does not.

Are a cop out. Its hand-waving at it's best. Since you accused me, and covicted me without waiting for even one response from me lets see ALL the proof you have prior to my 3rd post....

I won't be holding my breath either cause we both know your full of it and just trying to stir the pot :rolleyes:

And all your belly aching doesn't change my training or my teaching. I think thats what really burns you up.

I hope your blood pressure doesn't pop your head off after this....

Lets see ALL the proof for your lip smacking that you had prior to my 3rd post.....

Peace and love :D

OP
C

chufeng

AKJA,

The only thing you left out was who and where and how you received permission to teach at an instructor level. Which most definately matters to several people in here!

Sifu Starr had an instructor's program...just being a senior level student (black sash) didn't mean you could teach...you also had to complete the instructor's course and must have assisted in teaching junior students under his supervision...The instructor's course was open to anyone who had made it to yellow sash (equivalent to a green belt) but you weren't awarded an instructor's cerificate until after your first senior promotion...the course lasted 2 years...it was training in addition to your regular classes...I was awarded my instructor's certifcate in May of 1985.

Sifu would not let you operate a school until you had achieved second level black sash...and then only under the direction of a regional director who was a third level black sash, or better.
At the first level black sash, you could teach in a YiLi school, but could not be the head instructor.

When Sifu came out of retirement, he established the YiLiQuan Association...The Association certifies any rank awarded and also issues a license to operate a club or school and is renewable annually...this helps prevent "rogue" schools from popping up...we've had a few renegades (people who were awarded rank by someone NOT qualified and who did not complete instructor training) and have had to "convince" them to stop using the YiLi emblem and name...we do our best to stop fraud (when it involves the YiLi name) whenever we find out about it. I currently am regional director for the Northwest region.

Mainly, I remain a student of YiLi...every time I workout with the Northwest group, I learn something new...the depth of our art makes true mastery unlikely...There are three seniors in the Northwest region and not one of us gives a damn about our rank...last week I wore a blue belt; today, I wore a white belt...it just doesn't matter...

I do think that there are way too many self-promoted grand masters in the U.S.; I further believe that some schools will promote you to a level you aren't ready for (as long as your wallet can cover it)...I also see several internet sites that offer "certification" of rank for a fee...I've met many black belts from other systems who have clearly had solid training...I've also met a number of "black belts" who claim extremely high rank who clearly are NOT what they claim to be...

I agree with Mike Clarke; one should really explore the depths of an art fully before looking for rank in another system...it's one thing to work out with other disciplines to help you understand your own art better...it's another to jump from art to art without really getting at the heart of any of them...

regards,
:asian:
chufeng

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist
Zhao Dai Wei... Sounds like Catonese... In other words, bad Mandarin. In fact, it sounds like VERY POOR Catonese. Why would someone who has roots from mostly Japanese systems use a Chinese name?
This is why I have been rather harsh in reguards to this poser. It is not chinese or any other language. Sound it out. Zhao Dai Wei='Show de way' It is a joke. What does the rest of you think? I don't think this was accidental. How can we take this guy seriously?

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I have a Sokeship certificate that clearly states Kobe, Japan on the bottom with the stamp. The rest is in Japanese.

And yet again you fail to suppl y the requested info.
A “NAME” to go with that organization if you would be so kind………
surely you must know the name of such an organization that would give you such a title.

I also have a Sokeship certificate from Saudia Arabia.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

You’re joking right……..

Now you claim 2 Soke-doke ranks........give me a break.
Tell me one of you guys are just pulling my leg and pretending to be this Zhao Dai Wei guy to play a sick joke on me.
Yiliquan1 it's you isn't it? Your the mad man behind this joke aren't you? Well it's a bit early for April Fools but you got me....I really fell for it.

There have only been 3 kata in Pangai-noon, at least in the system I was taught. Funny how if there 'were' a fourth one that Kanbun was not taught it somewhere in his ten years of training and 3 years of teaching. You would think they could have slipped it in there somewhere in Fukein.

There are several good books you should by.
Not the least of which is called: Okinawan Karate by Mark Bishop.
Scan down to the bottom of page 42, you will see where it clearly states “4” Kata.
8th dan my butt……….more like 8th kyu.

As I said several times before, perhaps Soke doesn't mean founder originally but it sure does now. Not for me alone. Seems quite a few people all over the world use it in this fashion.

More like it seems you and your ilk have latched on to a new “buzz word” and perversed the meaning to fit your own needs.

To the rest of your post……..what is it Sharp Phil said ...........Contrarian Trolls often accuse the accusers.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Zhao Dai Wei: Prove that I don't have a Nidan in Judo. No really. Supply proof that I don't have a 2nd dan in Judo. I bet you can't prove it. Why? Because you wouldn't know where to begin searching for proof. In fact, you would have to search several Judo orginisations just to make sure that my name doesn't appear in any of the dan grade lists.

Whereas if I really did have a 2nd Dan, I could quite happily provide my licence number for you to check with the BJA. That would be proof.

You, however, refuse to give information on your instructor or examiners. This just screams "fake". Especially since all it would take on your part is less effort than it took me to type this post. Why not just do it? Get it out in the open. If your rank is real, then you have nothing to fear from posting details.

Continued refusal to provide information is simply indicating that you do not have enough faith in your rank to allow people to examine it. This is of course not helping your case.

Anyway, that's my rant over with.

Just to clarify, I don't have a dan grade in any arts, but I am willing to back up the ranks I do have with information as to where I recieved the rank.

OP
A

A.R.K.

Zhao Dai Wei is chinese. My neighbors are Chinese and I asked them to help me come up with a name for my system. They suggested simply using my name. Dai Wei is David and Zhao is as close as they knew how to come to my last name.

I prefer Chinese to Japanese. I actually prefer Arabic to Chinese, but unfortunately with the way things are right now I thought it best to go the route of Eastern rather than Middle Eastern.

Since two of the systems I have learned are/have Chinese infuence I went this route.

Take care.

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Zhao Dai Weh, dont you get tired of these people bashing you?

Hard training breeds warriors....

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
zhao Dai Weh, I couldnt help but notice you are also from florida.
I sent you a private message with my info.. contact me i would like to meet you and maybe work out with you somtime.

Hard training breeds warriors...

OP
A

A.R.K.

DAC,

We're playing thread-tag. I just said the same to you on the other thread. PM sent :)

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Zhao Dai Wei is chinese. My neighbors are Chinese and I asked them to help me come up with a name for my system. They suggested simply using my name. Dai Wei is David and Zhao is as close as they knew how to come to my last name.

I thought your name was Schultz……I don’t see how they got Zhao from Schultz…..why don’t you use something like “Shrdz Dai Wei” The sound Shrdz can have many different meanings in Chinese. You might ask them to look up some of the kanji.

OP
A

A.R.K.

I'm not Chinese but I desired a Chinese style name for the reasons I mentioned above. My neighbors are Chinese so I asked for their opinions. That was a while ago so it is already a done deal.

In fact I have quite a diverse neighborhood, Chinese, Hindu [Indian], Arabic etc etc

And me a dumb Limmy-kraut :cool:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
Lots of people claimed to teach this person or that. Yet they
made the claim after the person has passed. The fact that he
claims that he was his student for 2 weeks doesn't jive with any
of SGM Parker's readings that I've read. He started his training
with William Chow's brother, according to Mr Parker's own words
in Infinite Insights, and his brother gave him a personal
introduction to William, when Mr Parker's abilities were as good
as his teacher's. Mr Parker made no mention of Adriano
Emparado teaching him.

As to being given an 8th. That I don't know, specifically, but he
sure as hell wasn't the only one to do it. Many do such things in
order to swindle themselves more students. Just because it's
offered and accepted doesn't mean that the one who accepted it
gives a flippin' darn about it, displays it anywhere, or even claims
it. The pure fact of the matter is that Mr Parker, with Chow's
blessing started what he felt was a new art, and eventually for
that reason (and for business reasons) he declared himself as a
10th degree, Senior Grandmaster of American Kenpo.

Doc, if you're still reading, you can attest even more on this
subject ... please do.

Mr. Otto, you’re on the mark here. With regard to Emperado “promoting” Parker to 8th, it is true in a sense. When Ed Parker was set on his own by Chow, he began studying with many people, most of them in the Chinese Arts which had no rank. Emperado didn’t so much train or teach Parker but “acknowledge” him as an 8th. Of course Emperado was Parker’s senior under Chow so his opinion and position was well respected, but not necessarily sought after. This acknowledgement had nothing to do with Chow because Parker was on his own creating and evolving his own system anyway.

Additionally Parker had literally a drawer full of certificates from everybody you can think of who “acknowledged” him rank at various times from many different styles. When he left Hawaii for the mainland he already had three black belts, one each in Karate-do, Jiu-jitsu, and Kenpo. Parker himself really had no use for rank until he created the commercial system where rank quickly became an issue. Parker didn’t even wear rank until the seventies, and never wore stripes at all before 8th. Briefly he wore 8 separate stripes until Tom Kelly created the “bar system” for 5th.

Parker never referred to himself as “grandmaster,” and cringed whenever someone called him “master.” When he introduced himself he simply said, “Hi, I’m Ed Parker.” He hated the rank structure he inherited from the Japanese and all the baggage that came with it. He often said, “In America, lineage has no meaning.” But he knew the “business” of Kenpo and its many students demanded a “pecking order.”

OP
M

Mike Clarke

The well known Goju-ryu sensei Morio Higaonna recieved his 9th dan rank from the late Yuchoku Higa sensei of Shorin-ryu.
Why he went outside his system for promotion no one seems to know? Or why he never recieved a promotion from the man he claims as his own teacher, An'ichi Miyagi, no one seems to know?

Still, it just goes to show that this sort of stuff goes on even in the 'best' of circles;)

Mike.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by DAC..florida
Zhao Dai Weh, dont you get tired of these people bashing you?

Hard training breeds warriors....

If I may make a slight suggestion........Ryu and Zhao you can do both of two things here,

Firstly Ryu, If hes not giving you the answers you want then just leave him be cuz all your doing is wasting your time and energy. Enough people have already taken your view and your really just repeating yourself now man :asian:

Zhao, Your obviously not gonna give answers so why even bother replying to this thread? You too are just wasting yours and everyone elses time. All they want is proof? What is so hard bout that?

If your tired of being bashed or not getting answers then I suggest you leave it, cuz I'm getting bored of getting nowhere :shrug:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
Mr. Otto, you’re on the mark here. With regard to Emperado “promoting” Parker to 8th, it is true in a sense. When Ed Parker was set on his own by Chow, he began studying with many people, most of them in the Chinese Arts which had no rank. Emperado didn’t so much train or teach Parker but “acknowledge” him as an 8th. Of course Emperado was Parker’s senior under Chow so his opinion and position was well respected, but not necessarily sought after. This acknowledgement had nothing to do with Chow because Parker was on his own creating and evolving his own system anyway.

Additionally Parker had literally a drawer full of certificates from everybody you can think of who “acknowledged” him rank at various times from many different styles. When he left Hawaii for the mainland he already had three black belts, one each in Karate-do, Jiu-jitsu, and Kenpo. Parker himself really had no use for rank until he created the commercial system where rank quickly became an issue. Parker didn’t even wear rank until the seventies, and never wore stripes at all before 8th. Briefly he wore 8 separate stripes until Tom Kelly created the “bar system” for 5th.

Parker never referred to himself as “grandmaster,” and cringed whenever someone called him “master.” When he introduced himself he simply said, “Hi, I’m Ed Parker.” He hated the rank structure he inherited from the Japanese and all the baggage that came with it. He often said, “In America, lineage has no meaning.” But he knew the “business” of Kenpo and its many students demanded a “pecking order.”

Thanx Doc,

As we all know there are always 2 sides to a story and sometimes even more. Actaully Ed parker Jr. allowed someone to display his fathers origianal certificate on their site. It was Karate(or Karate-do I don't remember), Jiu-jitsu and Kenpo all on the same certificate from Chow.

Who taught Chow Jiu-Jitsu? All I know is James Mitose taught Kenpo Jiu-Jitsu as one art.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by akja
Thanx Doc,

As we all know there are always 2 sides to a story and sometimes even more. Actaully Ed parker Jr. allowed someone to display his fathers origianal certificate on their site. It was Karate(or Karate-do I don't remember), Jiu-jitsu and Kenpo all on the same certificate from Chow.

Who taught Chow Jiu-Jitsu? All I know is James Mitose taught Kenpo Jiu-Jitsu as one art.

It's on my site, but here's the direct link.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chufeng,

Here is what I see. Granted you did have 5 years if Judo but that has no consequence on a chinese based Gung-Fu system.

So here goes. You pasted:

I studied YiLi with Sifu Starr from October, 1982 thru June, 1986.
AND
Sifu Starr had an instructor's program...just being a senior level student (black sash) didn't mean you could teach...you also had to complete the instructor's course and must have assisted in teaching junior students under his supervision...The instructor's course was open to anyone who had made it to yellow sash (equivalent to a green belt) but you weren't awarded an instructor's cerificate until after your first senior promotion...the course lasted 2 years...it was training in addition to your regular classes...I was awarded my instructor's certifcate in May of 1985.

Sifu would not let you operate a school until you had achieved second level black sash...and then only under the direction of a regional director who was a third level black sash, or better.
At the first level black sash, you could teach in a YiLi school, but could not be the head instructor.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So 6 months into your training in a "new" art (which you stated was open to yellow belt equivalents), you entered into the instructors program. And 2 years and 8 months you were granted an instructors certificate.

And you agree with Mike clarke about getting to the core of a system before moving to another art. Do you feel that 2 years and 8 months is reaching the core of a system. Because that would seems to imply "by that standard" that it would be "okay" to move on now. I know you did not move on on. But that standard is flawed too.

How can anybody who does not physically know me try to tell me when or if I should switch systems? besides the fact the reasons for swithing systems were not intentional on my part. As you read early on a couple of schools closed then in the "80's it was purely my fault, but as stated I did try going back to Kajukenbo several times but in "my head" I wasn't ready.

Then my sister marries a Japanese based traditionalist. he truly helped me menatally even before I became his student. The reason for leaving that system was personal as is a lot of "family" situations do happen and are a part of life.

Iwas alrady exposed to grappling when I began training under My Sifu. Shortly after I began training in a BJJ school. I was asked point blank 'When I was going to quit Jujitsu" several times. it had become a part of me and finally I had to say that I was not going to quit. Thing were never to be the same. Once we were brothers. I still think of My Sifu as my brother althogh he probably does not feel the same for me.

And that does not give me the right to break my promise using his systems name and teaching it differantly.

If your heart is in your art. You can't change it. I respect that of my Sifu, but my heart is in mine too. I see flaws in alot of arts and what they represent.

And thinking that someone needs to reach the core of an art is dead wrong! Its a waste of time! Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is average 10 years to black belt. I don't have 10 years to dedicate. 3.5 was enough for me! It enhanced what I have and served its purpose.

But for anybody out there that trains in only one system. You need to ask yourself a question. Does my system truly address all the needs that I have and expect from the martial arts. If you answered yes, then stay where you are. No problem, for you.

We all know that many systems have serious flaws but "we all" see it only in someone elses system. Thats okay for some but not for all. Some just beat to a differant drummer, that does not make them better or worse or wrong. Just someone who never stopped learning. I'm going to say it again.

Show me an instructor who isn't openminded and I'll show you an instructor who stopped learning!

Latest Discussions