Po Bak Sool

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this a part of your curriculum?

What are the most common attacks you defend from?

Do you follow the retracting limb in on tying or keep the limb outstretched?

I am trying to dig deeper into this aspect of Hapkido. I know that some Hapkidoin don't have Po Bak Sool in their curriculum,and some have a ton of material.

Also...if you could point me to some videos or clips,I would much appreciate it. Thanks.

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Paul B said:
Is this a part of your curriculum?

What are the most common attacks you defend from?

Do you follow the retracting limb in on tying or keep the limb outstretched?

I am trying to dig deeper into this aspect of Hapkido. I know that some Hapkidoin don't have Po Bak Sool in their curriculum,and some have a ton of material.

Also...if you could point me to some videos or clips,I would much appreciate it. Thanks.
Greetings,

Most flexable weapons skills are not so much for join locks buts rather blocking, striking, choking, tying in the sense of imbobilizatrion of a limb etc. and when there's a chance a lock maybe?

That goes for, cane, rope, dan bong, staff as well.

All the weapons in HKD are blocking and striking FIRST the rest is if possible.

However due to demos and such people get the wrong ideas in the use of HKD weapons.

OP
Paul B

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you very much Mst. Stuart.

I practice flexible weapons in the way you described. Against kicks and strikes mainly. I haven't seen too much by way of grabs,though.

I am sorry if I made it sound as though I go for joint locks..I was merely refering to the method of going in for the immobilization.

Funny enough..the Po Bak Sool we practice usually involves immobilizations then a choke executed at the end of the technique to kind of "kick 'em when they're down". Good stuff.

Do you know of any sources I could find for more info on different approaches? Thanks.

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Paul B said:
Thank you very much Mst. Stuart.

I practice flexible weapons in the way you described. Against kicks and strikes mainly. I haven't seen too much by way of grabs,though.

I am sorry if I made it sound as though I go for joint locks..I was merely refering to the method of going in for the immobilization.

Funny enough..the Po Bak Sool we practice usually involves immobilizations then a choke executed at the end of the technique to kind of "kick 'em when they're down". Good stuff.

Do you know of any sources I could find for more info on different approaches? Thanks.
Greetings

There's not much written about it in HKD mainly because it's not that comprehensive. Hapkido's main weapons are cane & dan bong, all of the rest of the weapon are mainly basic knowledge with a additional tech.

Check out Bujinkan Tai Jutsu, they're the best source around for realistic use of any type of belt, rope, chain, etc.

sksk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"Check out Bujinkan Tai Jutsu, they're the best source around for realistic use of any type of belt, rope, chain, etc"

Another avenue of study you may want to look into for flexible weapons are the indonesian arts. they usually use a sarong, you can check out mande muda or Sifu Ron Balicki's dvd set from cold steel.

Hope this helps

George

J

JanneM

American HKD said:
Hapkido's main weapons are cane & dan bong,
Where do you think cane and dan bong came to hapkido?
Who introduced them to hapkido world and how those wepons became the essense of hapkido wepons?

Choi Yong Sul never teached use of any wepons. Only defence against knife. So I have heard. Taekkyon never had any wopons in it...

Does anyone have any facts about this or eaven a strong fealing of where those might have come to hapkido?

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
JanneM said:
Choi Yong Sul never teached use of any wepons.

Hello Janne,

This is not strictly true. Dojunim Choi taught several weapons. If you are ever in Chicago, drop by and we would be more than happy to show you some of the original material from Dojunim Choi. :) Kind of hard to teach this from a keyboard, if you know what I mean... :uhyeah:

Have a nice day.

sksk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

I know Chris Lacava, have done some training with him, Doe's the jung ki kwan teach knife or mid length staff (3ft to 4ft). Chris wasn't sure when i asked just curious.

Thank you for your time.

J

JanneM

Thanks for your reply Kevin.

Because I wasn't sure of that fact I added that "so I have heard" part in there. I'm very new in hapki arts you know.

Unfortunetly I don't believe that I am coming to Chicago because i live in Finland.

What wepons Choi dojunim teached and on what level?

M

Master Todd Miller

According to GM Lim, Hyun Soo, (9th Dan from DJN Choi), Doju Nim Choi taught 5 weapons:

First, there is the protection from the short knife (Dando Sool).

Second, The short stick (Dan Bong Sool)

Third, The cane, (a kind of Jipangi or Umbrella Sool).
In this method there are 5~6 techniques.

Fourth, How to destroy the enemy who attacks with weaponry such as long knife, bottle or sickle.

This is from the interview I did with him in 2004 in Korea.

Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have any other questions.
[email protected]

OP
Paul B

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see...so I take it the rope/belt is definitely not a part of the Jung Ki Kwan curriculum,yes?

So where did it come from? And who else has it?

So far as I can find these styles include Po Bak Sool..Jin Jung Kwan,Sin Moo,WHF/Yon Mu Kwan,Jin Pal.... Is this one of the "additional weapons"?

I think it's odd that it's even a part of KSW and HRD..although this could be attributed to the "early days".

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings

Ji Han Jae is responsible for the following:

Cane
Rope
Long pole
sword
Stone & Knife throwing

Choi may have had these weapons already?

Dan Bong
Some say knike or long knife

M

Master Todd Miller

Asd I said before Doju Nim Choi was the first to teach the Cane, Dab Bong, Knife throwing in Hapkido. I am sure that GM Ji could have expounded on these.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in Hapkido anything can be used as a weapon such as a pen, labtop, coffee cup, belt buckle and so on and so on. After many years of training the experienced will use what is available.

www.millersmudo.com

Take care

sksk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Master Todd, just wanted to know what weapons do you and the majority of Jung ki instructers teach in the regular curriculm. Are dojangs allowed to deviate in any way or are their more strict parameters about what should be taught.

Thank you in advance

George chaber

M

Master Todd Miller

sksk said:
Master Todd, just wanted to know what weapons do you and the majority of Jung ki instructers teach in the regular curriculm. Are dojangs allowed to deviate in any way or are their more strict parameters about what should be taught.

Thank you in advance

George chaber

Dear George,

I cannot speak for anyone but what I do at my Dojang here in Dover, NH.

The Jungki weapons techniques are not taught generally under Black belt. 2nd Dan is where weapons training begins, with knife defense. I do however teach some weapons on occasion when asked to at seminars.

The only thing I do is if I teach a technique that I know did not come from DJN Choi I let everyone know that it is not original Hapkido.

www.millersmudo.com

Take care

M

Mike-IHF

I see...so I take it the rope/belt is definitely not a part of the Jung Ki Kwan curriculum,yes?

So where did it come from? And who else has it?

So far as I can find these styles include Po Bak Sool..Jin Jung Kwan,Sin Moo,WHF/Yon Mu Kwan,Jin Pal.... Is this one of the "additional weapons"?

I think it's odd that it's even a part of KSW and HRD..although this could be attributed to the "early days".
Paul,
We have alot of techniques with rope(belt) actually not alot maybe somewhere in the range of 10-20. We also use cane techniques, but we use an original straight cane not the curved cane. I have a video on disc from a demonstration done in Korea in 1991. When I have time I will make a copy of it and send it to you. I'll send you a PM, or e-mail and you can give me your address. Or if you want to wait for a long download I can send it to you via msn messenger, but it will take a few hours because it's a big file. Also you need to keep in mind alot of the techniques done in the video are for demonstration purposes only, and not exactly how we really execute the techniques. Let me know take care.

M

Mike-IHF

The only thing I do is if I teach a technique that I know did not come from DJN Choi I let everyone know that it is not original Hapkido.
No offense but how do you KNOW for sure what came from Choi. You can only go buy what GM Lim has said, nothing more.

J

JanneM

Mike-IHF said:
No offense but how do you KNOW for sure what came from Choi. You can only go buy what GM Lim has said, nothing more.
What reason he would have to doubt his masters words?

Do you have some fact that makes any of us question Lim dojunims words?

M

Mike-IHF

JanneM,

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that mostly everyone goes by what their master/instructor tells them as truth, it does not mean that it is Fact. There is a difference. Yes GM Lim may say that Choi only taught this, but I garantee GM Kim says something different, and so on, and so on. All I'm trying to say is that no one should make a comment like

Just is not right. I've said it before, and I'll say it again "no one holds the holy grail of Choi's teachings". what alot of people forget is that GM Kim, and GM Lim started training under Choi in the late 60's early 70's. And because of that fact, Choi might not have taught the same weapon material he did when he first started teaching in Korea. Due to influences of his early students, or possibly cultural differences after living in Japan for 30 years some things might have chnged.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.

Please, return to the original topic.

For discussion on Hapkido origins, please reference this thread.

-Shesulsa
-MT Senior Moderator-

Latest Discussions