Pistol for backpacking

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Glacier National park on the Swiftcurrent Trail, I had encounter a brown bear within 10 feet distance. I had my right hand holding a 44 magnum revolvers while my left hand holding a "giant" bear pepper spray. I truly don't know what the chance that I might have at that particular moment.

Next time I intend to carry a hand grenade when I hike in any national park.

Can you buy hand grenade in US?

Best Answer: Yes you can. They will be expensive and you must have a tax stamp for each item you own. To get the tax stamp you have to make an application through local law enforcement including fingerprinting, and pay the tax fee of $200. The FBI will do a background check on you and notify the ATF. Once approved the ATF will send you the stamp and required paperwork. You can then go to a dealer and purchase your hand grenade. Want 2 of them? You must have a tax stamp for each “destructive device” you purchase.

A couple minor errors. You have to buy the device before you apply to the ATF for the tax stamp. The serial number for the device you've purchased must be on the ATF paperwork. You do not make application through local law enforcement. You do get a signature from the local Sheriff or Chief of Police, or a Judge. These signatures serve only as notification to the local law that you're buying an item covered by NFA rules. They are not mandatory, because you can also form a Trust, which obviates the need to get signatures. Your $200 tax and paperwork are filed with the ATF, not local law enforcement.

Alternatively, you can simply obtain a Class III Federal Firearms License (which is what is needed to manufacture or sell these devices). Then you can buy as many as you like without individual tax stamps.

As for your ability to carry it... it will vary widely from one state to another.

I do not own any explosive devices. I do own a suppressor, which is also covered under the NFA rules. 41 states allow them. I'm required to keep the ATF paperwork with the tax stamp with the suppressor. I must retain possession of it. While it's fine for me to let you shoot it, I have to be physically there. I can't lend it to you. I have to check the laws in any state I travel through and comply with them, as well.
I do not know all the differences, but I do know that with an explosive device, you have to contact the ATF and file a trip report before you're allowed to transport it across state lines.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second the recommendation for the Ruger GP100.

I'll 'third' the recommendation on the GP100. I've owned one and they are simply over-build like a tank. Which is a very good thing. They will hold up well even with hot magnum loads.

In regards to the video DD posted, a word of caution, a .357 is insufficient for chipmunks. Even a .44 is cutting it fine. I'd suggest a .454 Casul as a minimum caliber as chipmunks are almost as tough as rabbits. And anyone that has seen Monty Python will know how tough rabbits are to kill.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Painted cave hike.jpg

Here I am, setting out in the backcountry, three years ago (posted about that trip here )..note the bear spray on my hip....I was also carrying a pistol, though..........

Latest Discussions