Pin up series - maybe a little NSFW.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So I'm working on some pinup processing ideas. I'd usually post in the NSFW area, but I don't think these really qualify. If so, let me know and I'll move em.

Little risque, but comments and critiques appreciated.

Attachments

• $web_0284.jpg
    $web_0284.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 399
  • $web_0344.jpg
    $web_0344.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 375
  • $web_3640.jpg
    $web_3640.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 364
  • $web_3668.jpg
    $web_3668.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 387
  • $web_3698.jpg
    $web_3698.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 378
  • $web_3697.jpg
    $web_3697.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 372
  • $web_3384.jpg
    $web_3384.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 380
  • $web_3423.jpg
    $web_3423.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 401

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Top right (or Row One, Picture Four :D) is a really great shot. Nicely balanced composition and a certain young woman of your aquaintance looks fabulous!

I like the way that she is not looking where she is pointing, for it gives opportunity for the viewer to do that all important thing of 'injecting story' in their reaction to the picture.

The sword position ... hmmm .. :lol: ... not really relevant tho' and it adds to the 'story' in it's casualness.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The bottom picture is also really good. I am not kidding or implying something else when I say that the model has wonderful eyes. That direct look through the camera that you seem to be so adept at capturing is most evident here.

I like the prominently displayed engagement ring too - tho' not many might notice it, to me, again, it adds an element of story to the image. It is obviously just my interpretation but it says that that look is not meant just for any man but for the one that gave her the ring.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting to read the guys' perspective...

I am missing a bit a wink and a smile...but maybe Pirates do have more fun than other people.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Damn it Bob I’m at work… don’t do stuff to me like this when I’m at work….sheeeesh… now I have to block myself from the network… I hope your happy :uhyeah:

Nice pictures

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey professor, what's another name for pirate treasure?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know nothing of photography... although it would be cool to learn how to take better pictures...
and I have absolutey no idea what you were going for in these pictures... what you were trying to get across..
so having said that I know nothing...
here is my thoughts...
the attractiveness of the girls, or lack of attractiveness if thats your thing dont matter for my comments, I am going off the poses and expressions and what they made me think...

1st pic. Too much going on.. my eyes are going all over from the background colors to the different colors... just seems hard to look at. pose also looks forced.

2nd pic. colors are much better... is a fairly sexy looking picture.. but the hands look wrong or wierd for some reason.. not like anything is trying to be portrayed, just like they were ackward.

3rd pic. the pirate girl... looks allright.. the colors seem good but her posture looks a bit to casual for a pinup style photo.. at least how i think of them.. I think having herknee bent out further, her hand up higher so her elbow flares out more and her hand holding the sword more forward would seem to my mind more pinupish???

4th pic.. it looks like a shot between her starting to move to where she should be for a perfect shot... my thought was she doesnt look like shes having fun. Her expression makes me think shes going through the motions or unsure... the angle the sword and her pointing hand makes seesm to clash to me...

5th pic.. this one could be really good if she had more expression... maybe her head tilted down a bit more a mischevious or sly smile and her eyes/eyebrows working up a bit. I think with a bit more expression this picture could be really good..

6th pic... last pirate one.. its ok.. no expression at all to me.. just ok.

7th & 8th pic.. they just look odd or akward to me...

all that being said I have no misconceptions that I could do anything close lol.
plus I think my comments were more on the models then the pictures for the most part...
unless that counts as one and the same...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1 more from todays shoot.

Thank you for the feedback. It's very appreciated. I'm starting I think to work out my own styles of shooting, and getting a wide range of feedback, observations, and opinions helps me see things in different ways so that I can keep tweaking and growing.

:)

Attachments

• $web_1214.jpg
    $web_1214.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 447

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Something's off with that pose, Bob. The best way I can put it is it seems like she's like she's just got a boob job and trying to show 'em off like she might a new car or the stereotypical newly engaged girl "accidentally" flashing the engagement ring with everything she does. And the smug expression doesn't fit with the pose, either.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
1 more from todays shoot.

Thank you for the feedback. It's very appreciated. I'm starting I think to work out my own styles of shooting, and getting a wide range of feedback, observations, and opinions helps me see things in different ways so that I can keep tweaking and growing.

:)

Hmm, isn't 'Pinup' the style and language? How can I say that better....

Well, to me the 'Pinup' style is as if the model is telling you 'I know what you think, but it's not happening' (as compared to, say a Playboy centerfold that is more like "I am all yours in your dreams, but not real otherwise") Like the great Betty Grable or Rita Hayworth.

A bit of flirty mischief, but you know you can't touch.

The last one is not very Pinuppy, the expression is closer IMHO but the pose is kind of off.

I can't quiet put my finger on it, best I can describe it is that the ladies don't own the shots or the poses. I suppose there has to be a certain amount of 'it's all about me' that goes into a shoot like this.

(out of personal curiosity: how long are the sessions? A friend once told me that for a decent picture it would take him at least 5 rolls of film before his subject became relaxed enough to produce really good pictures. I don't think people changed much since then, and I am guessing even a pro could take a few minutes to warm up and get what the photographer is looking for.)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1st post
1st 2 shots were my second time working with the model. (workshop, multiple shooters, with some lighting instruction. Poses were based on my input but models interpretation, minimal tweaking)
Red Pirate outfits were my wife. Probably the second hour of a 3 hour shoot.
Last 2 shots were my second time working with model, probable about 90 minutes into a 2 hr shoot.

Post #10 - 1st time working with model. About 30 minutes into shoot.

The 2 models with the ample busts were both newbs.

I tend to do 1-2 hr shoots, longer depending on time availability and how long the studio's available for (plus what the budget allows). Some of my shoots have gone for 4 hrs. My shoot on Saturday (last shot above) spent almost the first hour talking with the model going over ideas, discussing limits, boundaries, etc, and chatting.

(For a different look, from todays nude shoot see here. Shot does not show nudity so should be work safe.)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it shows in the comfort level. The Pirate shots are the best ones. :)

Latest Discussions