Picky Picky... some art... wow

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another website of somebody with too much time on their hands... toothpicks... they're just not for Olives anymore.

http://landmarksofsf.com/photoindex.html
Some samples below
The boat was made from 10,000 toothpicks, the empire state building was 7470 and the portrait of Barry Bonds was made with a mere 48...

Attachments

• $01 10 K Toothpicks.jpg
    $01 10 K Toothpicks.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 130
  • $02 7470 K toothpicks.jpg
    $02 7470 K toothpicks.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 130
  • $03 48 toothpicks.jpg
    $03 48 toothpicks.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 129

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, impressive actually. And I thought I was bored spitless some evenings when there is no classes at the Dojo, plus the fact I don't have an artistic bone in my body. Those are very cool.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow, impressive actually. And I thought I was bored spitless some evenings when there is no classes at the Dojo, plus the fact I don't have an artistic bone in my body. Those are very cool.
Well it's one of the reasons why I keep putting up such art-sites or other stuff like that here on MT.
The samurai of old also took up some form of disciplined art; haiku's, painting, bonsai, gardening (you've seen those I assume?), and so forth. Basically to find a calm center in all that violence. A Yin to their Yang. But as a means to express themselves in a different way.
Most of the stuff I posted i.e. the toothpicks, the rock-stacker, the water-droplet photographer and so forth, obviously require a focused discipline that is similar to the focus of a MA-ist.
There is no reason what-so-ever for anyone NOT to try and find their artistic center/side. All one has to do ... is try. :asian:

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the stuff I posted i.e. the toothpicks, the rock-stacker, the water-droplet photographer and so forth, obviously require a focused discipline that is similar to the focus of a MA-ist.
There is no reason what-so-ever for anyone NOT to try and find their artistic center/side. All one has to do ... is try. :asian:

Oh I have tried to find the artistic side, just not real well developed. The thing I can do well is outdoor photography, but I would love to be able to create something like what a lot of your post show.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh I have tried to find the artistic side, just not real well developed. The thing I can do well is outdoor photography, but I would love to be able to create something like what a lot of your post show.
Well you did find your artistic side then. Outdoor photography (done well as you say) is a form of composition, framing, seeing something that others might not have seen, an expression of your appreciation of the beauty that's around you.
Post some of your pics here and let us decide if you're in doubt of your talents. :D

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just sent my membership stuff to Bob, so when he gets it and I can post some photos I might do that. There are a few that I like. My problem is I may shoot 200 photos and think 5 or 6 are worth looking at and the rest are garbage. Plus the digital cameras I can afford, are great for snapshots, but don't have near the fine grain I want to see (or not see actually.) When the 12 -15 megapixel cameras come down to human prices I may go that way as well as film.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just sent my membership stuff to Bob, so when he gets it and I can post some photos I might do that. There are a few that I like. My problem is I may shoot 200 photos and think 5 or 6 are worth looking at and the rest are garbage. Plus the digital cameras I can afford, are great for snapshots, but don't have near the fine grain I want to see (or not see actually.) When the 12 -15 megapixel cameras come down to human prices I may go that way as well as film.

Heh... take a look at my caving photo page (link below) and look at the ones that say No Name Cave #'s 1 & 2 .... the photos were the best out of maybe a total of 5-600 photos taken with two digital cameras... I had one my buddy had the other. A little more discipline is needed I agree but out of many come a few and out of those few... a world of wonder. :D

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I cannot imagine how long it took the artist to create these items. My creativity leans more toward needlework, which certainly does not tend toward projects that are completed quickly - but even so, I cannot imagine how long it would take to complete something like the boat or the Empire State Building, nor to come up with a complete and recognizable figure such as Barry Bonds in so few meaningful lines.

Latest Discussions