Physicall Improvements

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Everyone serious in martial arts sees a physicall improvement by their second or third belt. How have you improved physically and mentaly?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
All around. I have to say that I am able to answer in the fact that I am a lot calmer and don't get stressed at all while I am in training. Afterall, one must remember the best credo in life....It is easy to start, yet it is not always easy to continue.

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hell, I have only been back for 3 WEEKS, and I can see a difference...
Physically(lots and lots of Kata and Kihon), Mentally(Focus, or Kime has risen drastically), and Emotionally(FRUSTRATION)...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In many ways physical, mental, and emotional.

One of the things I did not expect is how it changed the way I walk. I'm a tall guy and used to take really long strides. Now I always keep my feet under me and my stride is less than half the length that it used to be.

Jeff

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I noticed something a little interesting while practicing i front of the mirror today. I have always been able to move my pinky toe (not all can do this, try) and I concider my feet as perhaps the most important part of my body (after my head), but before I started doing MA no matter how much I concentrated I could not move my big toe without moving the others as well. Suddenly today I realized I could do this easily, at least on the right foot, left big toe required a bit more concentration. I am pleased to see that my fine motor body control does improve.

By the way, did any of you read the book Children of Dune where the guy getting instruction in the way of the Bene Gesserit starts by learning to move his pinky toe?

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL my wife can cross the toes of her feet and she can still do it after years of MA.

As per me I don't feel any physical improvement yet, but I did notice that when I walk now I have a more streight posture of my back.