Physical strength in Tai Ji

L

liangzhicheng

Here's a hypothetical situation: two proponents of Tai Ji that are equal in skill. However, one of them is larger, and physically has more strength. If they fought, would they be even regardless of strength and size, or would the bigger and stronger person win?

OP
P

pknox

I'm not very familiar with Tai Chi, but in every other art I've seen or practiced, when the above scenario comes up, the stronger person usually wins.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Push Hands, or fight.

With a fight, anything can happend so it is impossible to say.

Push hands...I don't know enough about it, but it would seem to me that the "heavier" person would most likely win. I am ill informed, though, so I could be wrong.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the question says equal skill, but does not indicate the level of skill. if they are both at a relatively inexperienced level of skill, the larger stronger opponent may have an advantage, however may also be slower thus, at a disadvantage.

at more advanced levels, its a draw, because while the larger opponent can apply greater force, the smaller opponent is trained to relax, yield, and transfer that force right back in return. But... the larger opponent is also advanced, and would know what the smaller one would do, therefore would refrain from using brute force. Skill becomes the great equalizer.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by pete
the question says equal skill, but does not indicate the level of skill. if they are both at a relatively inexperienced level of skill, the larger stronger opponent may have an advantage, however may also be slower thus, at a disadvantage.

at more advanced levels, its a draw, because while the larger opponent can apply greater force, the smaller opponent is trained to relax, yield, and transfer that force right back in return. But... the larger opponent is also advanced, and would know what the smaller one would do, therefore would refrain from using brute force. Skill becomes the great equalizer.

I agree with this, they are both of equal skill, so at a small skill level, the heavier guy would probably over power the smaller one, but at a high skill level, they are equal, so they both understand being rooted and disolving.
But two of high skill would probably not participate in a fight to see who would win. :D

7sm

OP
P

pknox

:eek:

(handing kevlar vest to Old Fat Kenpoka) here, you might need this...

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, if I can defend myself against Kenpoists who claim they don't need to grapple, I can defend myself agains Tai Chi-ists who claim to fight.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
and neither has anything to do with Fighting, and both have everything to do with Grappling... And anyone who says otherwise is wrong, says Me. :)

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A better question would be who would win in a fight: a 150lb male Tai Chi instructor or a 120lb female Pilates instructor. The answer is the Pilates instructor. Her tighter buns would enable her to deliver more power to kicks and strikes.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Since Tai Chi has absolutely nothing to do with fighting...the question is moot.

What exactly would be your reason for saying something like that? I mean besides starting a fight?

Your comments seem a little disrespectful to those who practice taiji as a MA, aren't they? Would you want the same comments made about your system or you ?

7sm

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OFK is famous for "stirring the pot".
Anyone who is offended, take a breath and think for a minute.
Is anything anyone says on this or any other forum going to stop you from practicing an art which you enjoy and in which you find value? Of course not.
Relax. If you agree with him or me or anyone else, cool. If not, also cool. In the end, it's just words on a screen. The only value those words have is that which you give to them. I practice both Kenpo and Taijiquan, and appreciate the martial and non-martial aspects of both. Nothing I've read so far changes that.
That is, as always, just my opinion. :asian:

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Randy,

I wasn't offended - I don't even practice Tai Qi Quan. I'm just surprised that someone could make that kind of statement. Anyone who's ever crossed hands with the right kind of Tai Qi teacher wouldn't bother to "stir the pot" in such a manner. That's why I asked out loud whether OFK was "trolling," i.e., trying to liven things up a bit.

Yes, we all know that a large percentage of "Tai Chi" is "new age" or whatever, and has limited value for fighting - it's the remainder to which you should pay attention.

Likewise, I've practiced Kajukenbo and Xing Yi Quan - they're both the same, given the right attitude and training.

Actually, your right: it's kinda silly even to respond to this...

Best,

Steve Lamade

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not offended by his posting, nor do I think it will stop anyone from practicing taiji. I simply think that this is a martial arts forum based on respect and acceptance. I don't see how his comments fit into either of those adjectives.
If he is not trolling, and truly believes his own words, we could have a good respectful conversation about it.

7sm

Latest Discussions