Philosophy of Kenpo.......... the Sayings.......

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Doesn't this seem rather contradictory?

Wouldn't it make more sense if it was "Quick to learn, slow to forget"?

There must be a story that will bring into context what this saying really means. Would you mind sharing this story so I would understand the saying better?
Thank you. - Ceicei
Sorry for not getting back sooner... I have been out of town and country for the holidays.

As to being contradictory....... I don't think so, actually quite the opposite.

Too many students are into the "SPEED" mode of learning material quickly (usually for fast promotions) and the results {that I have seen} are mostly unfavorable {poor form, power and true understanding}.

Some
students do have the ability to pick up quickly but you still need the magic of "repetition" to ingrain the movements into muscle memory and become a part of you so as to be able to act extemporaneously when called upon [which takes time], thus Mr. Parker's saying... "Slow to learn...... slow to forget".

Take your time, learn the material thoroughly and practice often. This has been a proven formula for many athletic areas, repetition and consistency.

I also like the 4th 3rd Brown Saying ...... "You must earn what you learn".

:asian:

K

Kenpomachine

Kenpomachine said:
It means that if you learn it the hard way, or it takes you some effort to learn the material, then it would fade slower as well. I think...
I've just noticed that I got a neg rep point for this message. Looks like someone is trying to lye him/herself into believing that things learnt without sweating and putting some effort into them last for as long as things learnt with time, sweat and effort...

Oh, well, feel free to send me another bad rep point for telling the truth.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kenpomachine said:
I've just noticed that I got a neg rep point for telling the truth in an earlier post on this thread. Looks like someone is trying to lye him/herself into believing that things learnt without sweating and putting some effort into them last for as long as things learnt without putting in time, sweat and effort...
Oh well....... others can think anyway they want to .... :idunno: but WE know the facts !!! ... and you are SOOOOoooooo right KenpoMachine!!

"To desire something does not mean to accomplish it. To perspire for it makes accomplishment a reality!" - # 4 Green Belt Saying ... Ed Parker

GD7

Mekosho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite sayings that we use often in my dojo is..."Stupidity deserves to be punished"...I also like the expansion of "a picture is worth a thousand words" which is, "an action is worth a thousand pictures"...makes since to me...

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mekosho said:
One of my favorite sayings that we use often in my dojo is..."Stupidity deserves to be punished"...I also like the expansion of "a picture is worth a thousand words" which is, "an action is worth a thousand pictures"...makes since to me...
Excellent! I love those!!

:asian:

Latest Discussions