Philadelphia Self Defense - JKD

Discussion in 'JKD / Jeet Kune Do' started by TMA17, Dec 9, 2017.

1. TMA17

TMA17 Purple Belt

I had a conversation with one of the instructors at Greenville Academy of Martial Arts where they teach JKD/WC and boxing. I believe KPM posted something from youtube from his school. The guy is extremely nice and informative. I find his youtube videos excellent. He will be making a DVD series I'll probably own it when he releases them. (Greenville Academy of Martial Arts).

So this got me interested in seeing if there are any JKD schools near me and I came across Philadelphia Self Defense, which looks similar to the Greenville Academy. On my never ending quest to find what I truly want to do long term, I'm going to give this a shot. I like the idea of JKD and combing things that work from various arts/styles.

Philadelphia Self Defense

• Like Like x 1
  2. Paul_D

Paul_D Master Black Belt

Just seems to be your typical martial arts class pretending to be SD. All I can see on their videos is fighting & physical techniques. The physical side of SD is important of course,, but it’s just one small part. The soft skills (non physical) are arguably more important, but I don’t see them in their videos.

Even in their video on awareness is just two people sparring. That’s not awareness in the SD sense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TMA17

TMA17 Purple Belt

4. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Looks pretty good to me. Wouldn't mind spending some time there and training.

5. Tames D

Tames D RECKLESS

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I like it. The instructors appear to be trained by Harinder Singh. Not a bad thing. Singh was with Paul Vunak before their falling out.