Personal From Requirement........

K

kenpo2dabone

Originally posted by Seig
Isn't that exactly what we are trying to teach our students to do in the real world? This seems to reinforce the entire idea of doing a personal form.

My sentamence exactly! The only difference between doing a "personal form" or "thesis Kata" and doing a "Form of Spontaneity" is a "personal Form" is worked on, practiced, perfected and then performed. A "Form of Sponaneity" is not practiced ahead of time. It is made up on the spot. That is not to say that you can't practice "Forms of Spontaneity" on your own when ever you want to but really you should almost nevr do to forms of sponaneity the same way twice because they are made up as you go not before hand. It is not a real easy thing to do. I invite you to try it. All I usually do to practice, is tell myself to go through five techniques for a right ounch in succession with no stops or hesitations. The trick is to not think about it and just begin moving and don't stop until you have finished five techniques against a right punch. It is harder than it sounds because we train in a manner that makes us think "O.K. I know five techniques against a right punch so I will do five swords, then delayed sword and then back breaker and so on. Rather than do five techniques right out of the manual, try just allowing one movement to flow into the next. It is just another way to "play" with your Kenpo. I find it hard to not think about techniques straight out of the manual when I practice this way but when I can clear my mind of the set techniques I can really flow and I feel like I can just keep going.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

K

Kenpomachine

You can't ask a yellow belt to do a form of spontaneity with forms, but you can tell them to imagine opponents from different angles and having to block first and then do a kick or a punch, even if it's always the same puch.

As you said

I find it hard to not think about techniques straight out of the manual when I practice this way but when I can clear my mind of the set techniques I can really flow and I feel like I can just keep going.

That's what we train this way. First stances, then stances and blocks, stances and punches, etc. It's also a good way to train the basics of the system.

Mmmm, I lost the point of what I was going to say when I hit the reply button :S

K

kenpo2dabone

Originally posted by Kenpomachine
You can't ask a yellow belt to do a form of spontaneity with forms, but you can tell them to imagine opponents from different angles and having to block first and then do a kick or a punch, even if it's always the same puch.

I agree, it wold be unfare to ask a yellow belt to do a form of spontaneity. I sometimes forget to think like a white belt. I will have to ask my instructor when a student can expect to have to perform a "FOS" on a belt test. Now you got me curious. I came to the UKF as a 2nd Degree Black Belt so I did not test with them at the lower ranks. I will ask my instructor tonight. I also agree the it is a good idea to atleast get a Yellow Belt understanding the different directions that an attack can come from and the best coarse of action to take given the direction of the attack. Certain angles advacate that you you should move to the outside of a punch while other angles advacate moving to the inside.

Mmmm, I lost the point of what I was going to say when I hit the reply button :S [/B]

No worries, I seen to have found a point in your post and I appreciate your sharing it here.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Origin. posted by Kenpomachine
You can't ask a yellow belt to do a form of spontaneity with forms.

Well, you can, but don't expect great results this soon.

I start this process at Purple Belt and then only with 5 techniques to start... then, add 5 techniques ever rank after until it reaches 20 as a base rule.
:asian:

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Well, you can, but don't expect great results this soon.

I start this process at Purple Belt and then only with 5 techniques to start... then, add 5 techniques ever rank after until it reaches 20 as a base rule.

Sure, it was a spontaneity form with TECHNIQUES and not forms :)
But well, block/punch and block/kick can be seen as an easy technique.

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am not required to develop a personal form but after reading all of the discussion it sound very interesting. I have started to put one together for my own experience. I does make one think through the material. Thanks

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by molson
I am not required to develop a personal form but after reading all of the discussion it sound very interesting. I have started to put one together for my own experience. I does make one think through the material. Thanks

But also how to lay it out or navigate it within a pattern such as the +, x, combination of both, the H pattern, a straight line advancing or retreating (as in the case of an ally), or a horizontal pattern (as in the case if your back is against a wall so you can only move left or right), or several other patterns in which the form can flow.

Also theme is important....

much can be extracted and gained by this exercise.....

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
But also how to lay it out or navigate it within a pattern such as the +, x, combination of both, the H pattern, a straight line advancing or retreating (as in the case of an ally), or a horizontal pattern (as in the case if your back is against a wall so you can only move left or right), or several other patterns in which the form can flow.

Also theme is important....

much can be extracted and gained by this exercise.....

This is a win - win exercise.... Even if the student does a horible job.... it gives a vehicle to be able to work from to show and teach incorrect or better possibilities, just another "drill" or tool within our system to help the student.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personal forms are a requirement for my school. From yellow to 1st brown the form is to be made up of techniques from the belts, about four per blet. So when I tested fro 3rd brown a few months back I had to have 4 yellow, 4 orange... all the way up to 4 from the 3rd brown list. After you've reached 1st brown you begin working on your black belt thesis and kata. The kata must contain atleast 20 techniques of your own design.

I happen to like working on a personal form, just picking techniques off the lists and fitting them together has helped me understand the techniques that I chose in new ways. I am better able to understand the power principles, and timing concepts of the techniques. In some cases I had to change the timing of strikes in the techniqes in order to get them to fit into the form.

- Josh -

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
They are a requirement or our school. Once for Purple Belt then one for Blue and then again to get the Black belt. Possibly after that too.

We are allowed to choose any technique from any belt we know. We can do extentions if we know them, change the end of the move if we need to. Have the attackers coming from any angle etc etc.

They are performed as a Form first then we have attackers put the moves on for each technique.

I like to choose moves that I dont like so much, that I find more difficult and are a real test to myself. If I was to choose moves like Delayed Sword etc I would feel like I was robbing myself of the chance to prove what I have learnt.

There is nothing more exhilarating than having "Your Own Form" work and flow with attackers at a grading.

Latest Discussions