percent training of elbows/ knees

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
What percentage of training do you MT guys spend on your elbows/ knees training? Ive never trained in a real MT gym. It appears from an outsiders point of view that most the time is spent kicking/ punching?

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there are two ranges in kickboxing, punching and kicking range and elbow and knee range. and different people fight better at different ranges. To learn the art initially you would spend an equal time on all concepts. After you discover your strengths, you would place an emphasis on training them. A person good at striking from range will work the combinations and practice staying at a distance. A person who is good with his knees and elbows will probably work on controlling their opponent in the clinch, closing the distance for elbows, etc. I can't just say 40% or something like that because everyone is different.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo_man said:
Keep in mind that there are two ranges in kickboxing, punching and kicking range and elbow and knee range. and different people fight better at different ranges. To learn the art initially you would spend an equal time on all concepts. After you discover your strengths, you would place an emphasis on training them. A person good at striking from range will work the combinations and practice staying at a distance. A person who is good with his knees and elbows will probably work on controlling their opponent in the clinch, closing the distance for elbows, etc. I can't just say 40% or something like that because everyone is different.
*covers ears* Not the "Kickboxing" word! lol I place a huge emphasis on knees and elbows, because I really believe that they are the bread and butter of Muay Thai, the claim to fame via the Thai round-kick. I suppose it really boils down where you are comfortable fighting; although--IMO--the knees and elbows are the more powerful strikes.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
I place a huge emphasis on knees and elbows, because I really believe that they are the bread and butter of Muay Thai, the claim to fame via the Thai round-kick.
That should say "despite the claim to fame via the Thai round-kick."

Latest Discussions