People favor TKD, not Kenpo

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Individuals that can do yardwork and housework make sense to me. Why not pass on all the diapers and get right to the side work! LOL

:asian:

OP
T

tunetigress

Nice spa GD! Is that yours or didja cut that pic outa the catalogue??? :rofl:

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Spans 3 Trees... Tarzan wouldn't complain, to the Swiss Family however, it would only be a condo.

:rofl:

I thought you said the treehouse wasn't yours?! Just what are you trying to hide from me anyways? I HAVE A PLACE TO LIVE... REALLY.:boing2: :boing2:

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by tshadowchaser

Back in the late 60's and 70's tkd ruled texas.
Many good competitors came out of Texas and they where fighters in those days. Not saying there not today just don't here about them on a national level as much today.
......................................................................................
Let me add not only did they rule Texas but they ruled the whole Southeast US.
Allan Steen and his "Texas Blood and Guts" TKD was unstoppable on the tournament circuit.
I fought with and against too many of them to count .I was more likely to get disqualified instead of loosing a match. I didn't learn too many kata or weapons forms but I did learn how to fight

That legacy is mostly dead but the Souths' love of TKD is still alive in the corner McDojo.

I don't have anything but respect for TKD but I have no respect for the McDojo and their 6 year old Black Belts

Gene Gabel:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Steen, Kurban, Gotcher, Mullins, Havanas, Robles, Minshew, SantaMaria, Alvarado, and milliions more were much trouble at one time........... But nothing like the guys today.

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Steen, Kurban, Gotcher, Mullins, Havanas, Robles, Minshew, SantaMaria, Alvarado, and milliions more were much trouble at one time........... But nothing like the guys today.

.......................................................................................
I would like to add "Big Jim, and Jenice Miller" a couple of Alan Steens black belts that were the BADDEST married couple in the South.(and then some)

I studied under them in New Orleans and they were awesome..

Gene Gabel:asian:

OP
V

vincefuess

I must beg to differ with you Golden Dragon (for the first time I might add) on at least one of the names in your list- Demetrius "The Golden Greek" Havanas. This guy was a stellar fighter, a top shape athlete, and a competitor destined for the top. To discount his ability in being not up to par with todays fighters is almost exactly like saying that Benny Urquidez' skills are not on par with fighters today, as I view the two as very similar in talent and skill, and had not Havanas been killed in the plane crash he would have likely been every bit as successful as Urquidez.

As for some of our other "Texas heroes"- Allen Steen, Skipper Mullins, Pat Burleson, etc... they were very much just very tough scrappers. These guys made for in "blood and guts" hat they may have lacked in technical skill- it WAS a different time and these were "different" people even in that time.

I watched many of these guys train, albeit as a youngster, but I have vivid memories of head kicks connecting and bringing blood, broken toes, fingers, and knuckles. Every time they sparred, someone got bloodied up- everybody got beat up. While these guys may not have had the technical skills of todays fighters, they darn sure had the spirit and the will, and the ability to deal as well as take serious punishment.

Let's not forget that Chuck Norris, Bill Wallace, and Joe Lewis are all part of that same era and fought these same matches.

I am happy and proud to have met ome of these guys and seen them in action, even though it was at a time when I was too young to appreciate it. I appreciate it now.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by islandtime
.......................................................................................
I would like to add "Big Jim, and Jenice Miller" a couple of Alan Steens black belts that were the BADDEST married couple in the South.(and then some) I studied under them in New Orleans and they were awesome..Gene Gabel:asian:

Yes, I agree...... like I said.... millions more that I forgot!! not intestinally..... so many greats to remember out of that state and era!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by vincefuess
I must beg to differ with you Golden Dragon (for the first time I might add) on at least one of the names in your list- Demetrius "The Golden Greek" Havanas. This guy was a stellar fighter, a top shape athlete, and a competitor destined for the top. To discount his ability in being not up to par with todays fighters is almost exactly like saying that Benny Urquidez' skills are not on par with fighters today, as I view the two as very similar in talent and skill, and had not Havanas been killed in the plane crash he would have likely been every bit as successful as Urquidez.

VINCE VINCE VINCE :hammer: .............. WHOAAAAAAAAAA PARDNER.....

You don't need to differ........... I was NOT saying that DH was a slacker....... but rather exactly as you have explained...... I apologize if you thought otherwise...... Man he was one of my hero's!! A fighter..... no Gladiator Royal....... he just loved to fight anyone anywhere anytime........ lol:boxing:
and his student continued the trend - Raymond McCallum!!

Latest Discussions