• $351_004.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 165
  • $8718_029.jpg
    $8718_029.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 162

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adding to the point that Jarrod, Omar and myself had reiterated, another "price" I think is very important to mention is the bumps and bruises we've all taken at one time or another. Now there may be a fine line between an injury that requires medical attention, and one that doesn't. When it does require medical attention, guess who's going to pay that bill? And if it's something as minor as a bruise or bloody nose, running to the parents will probably result in "I told you so" and possibly a hiatus in one's training.

I'm glad you brought that up man. Injuries are pretty common and parents know that no matter how caring and loving your instructor is you can still get seriously hurt. My sensei's wife was a nurse so that was not a big problem. She also taught at the dojo and had a full kit in the office.

Odd enough, I'm dating a nurse now ... well nursing student, but she will be fully accredited in the fall. Then I can go back to breaking stuff whenever I please!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is possible that the young man in question has continued to read the thread, albeit as a guest, and not a registered user.

He'll be welcome back when he's 16, as well.

Gamble

White Belt
Reaction score
I would strongly look at what you have taken up in the past. If you haven't taken up much in the past then say to her this is something you have looked into at great detail and you are really keen on it, thus learning to self respect yourself and others which is the foundation of any disciplined martial arts. I started muay thai at 16, and i'm not looking back. I love it, as a sport and as a discipline. It keeps my body conditioned and keeps me from getting random outbursts of violence/aggression.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the off chance that the OP is still reading this: I am a parent. From what I read, it would cost your mom at least 2,5 (2 times 25 min + 1 hour + changing) hours of her evening to let you do this.

Don't be so casual in discarding 2,5 hours of their time.
That amount of time is anything but trivial to schedule in on a weekly basis for a parent who also needs to keep the household running, work on the house, go shopping for groceries, possibly take care of brothers and sisters who would need a babysit, etc etc.

I have 2 kids and going to MA class twice per week is already something non trivial. And the only reason why I can do it at all is that it starts at half past 8 in the evening, when my youngest kids are already in their beds and my wife has returned from work (she works later hours than I do so I take care of the kids in the evening). If you want her to give up that 2,5 hours, then you had better do something that will make up for that lost time. Treat your parents with respect and don't dismiss them as if you are the only person in the world that matters.

Latest Discussions