Parent Orientation & school policies

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you have a parent orientation for all new student and what do you really go over in that time frame? I mean with the younger ones I guess I can see the benefits but do you do it with teenagers and the adults?
Terry

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have a commercial dojo, and I don't teach minors, but I think it would be a good idea. It gives parents a look at what their child will be learning. In addition to a look at techniques, it would also be a good opportunity to review your teaching philosophy.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think the only orientation given my wife before she signed our daughters up was letting them a couple of classes during Buddy week as their friend Simon has been attending this Dojo since it opened a year ago or so and the Dojo providing AMPLE seating for parents to watch the classes. My Girls are 5 and 6 and just got their Jr Yellow.

This Dojo seems to have alot of promotions, for May, they let all Mothers of students join the Cardio Kickboxing class free of charge, my Mrs liked it so much she signed up to continue.

O:nen ki' wahi' Bye for now

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At my Tennessee school (not my school, but the one I teach at), in the children's class we routinely have the parents join in with class and help as bag holders or roleplayers (all voluntary, of course) so the parents can intereact with their children and the kids still get time with their parents.

But as far as a parent's orientation, I think its a great idea. Either give the parents an opportunity to watch or participate, but get them involved. I think that parental involvement in all aspects of a child's education is imperative (i.e. involved in their scholastic studies as well as their ohysical activities). They shouldn't do it for them, obviously, but they need to care enough to get involved.

My two cents...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think that its a great idea! Whenever I did an intro lesson for a new student, I'd always make sure that the parents had a full understanding of everything. Any questions/concerns that they had, I'd do my best to answer them, and if I could not answer them, I'd direct them to someone that could. I would also explain how important it is for their childs development in the arts, if they stayed and watched the classes. So many times I'd see the child come in and leave by themselves. How is a parent going to know whats going on with their child if they never come in?

Mike

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With teenagers and older, it's not nearly as necessary, if at all. At this point, they should be capable of making their own decisions, and knowing how to progress without parental help.

For the younger kids, though, it's a good idea when done with decent consistency but also moderation. First, and foremost, this gets the parents involved, and the parents are the biggest influence on a child's life. With parental encouragement, the child can certainly be helped by this. Second, it also keeps the parents "in the loop," and some honest discussion about the child's progress can be made on regular intervals.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My instructor offers a free private lesson as well. At this lesson the prospective student learns basic commands (Junebi, chariot, etc) and stuff like that so they don't feel so lost and potentially embarrassed when they do attend their first class. It seems like a good ice breaker and the parents can get a pretty good feel for the school and instructor.

RDK08

White Belt
Reaction score
alright, im a student at Lou Casamassa's RDK in West Covina. Im in the teens and adults class. We have many young kids in at our dojo. kids as young as 4 years old can join. They teach a lot of discipline, including things such as "yes mom" and yes dad" please and thank you etc. I think that it benefits young children a lot and they seem to have a lot of fun. They even learn some basic japanese, counting, good afternoon, good morning, good evening, & goodbye. They do a lot activities outside of class also, for example this friday their going out to the movies after class to watch the new ninja turtles movie. Red dragon karate also holds tournaments about every 2 months which all students are able to participate it. the kids really enjoy going because its 100% awards you kids and they arent small cheesy trophies. anyways im writing a lot here but if you would like to know more, just reply to the post and i would be willing to help as much as i can.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
alright, im a student at Lou Casamassa's RDK in West Covina. Im in the teens and adults class. We have many young kids in at our dojo. kids as young as 4 years old can join. They teach a lot of discipline, including things such as "yes mom" and yes dad" please and thank you etc. I think that it benefits young children a lot and they seem to have a lot of fun. They even learn some basic japanese, counting, good afternoon, good morning, good evening, & goodbye. They do a lot activities outside of class also, for example this friday their going out to the movies after class to watch the new ninja turtles movie. Red dragon karate also holds tournaments about every 2 months which all students are able to participate it. the kids really enjoy going because its 100% awards you kids and they arent small cheesy trophies. anyways im writing a lot here but if you would like to know more, just reply to the post and i would be willing to help as much as i can.​

First I like to say welcome and happy posting, maybe go to the meet and greet section and introduce yourself

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How many of you have a parent orientation for all new student and what do you really go over in that time frame? I mean with the younger ones I guess I can see the benefits but do you do it with teenagers and the adults?
Terry

With younger ones I can see the point and possibly with teenagers as well. However with adults I think you can cover that in the initial phone call or meet at the Training Hall.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
At my Tennessee school (not my school, but the one I teach at), in the children's class we routinely have the parents join in with class and help as bag holders or roleplayers (all voluntary, of course) so the parents can intereact with their children and the kids still get time with their parents.

This is a great idea! I teach 3 ages: 6-11; 11-14; 14-18 (and a fourth advanced, mixed age class). I'm going to initiate this with the youngest group. Thanks. :ultracool

Latest Discussions