palm blocking

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If linear motion should be met with circular motion, and circular motion should be met with linear motion, why are we taught to palm block jabs and crosses?

Ian.

K

Kenpo Wolf

It is from my experience that with a palm block, you can easily convert the block into a grab or swordhand. It all comes down to economy of motion. I could be wrong on this but thats my opinion.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If linear motion should be met with circular motion, and circular motion should be met with linear motion, why are we taught to palm block jabs and crosses?

I think that you are looking at this like it is a rule rather than an idea. Use the best technique fot the situation. Since a jab can be very fast I'm sure the reason is Economy of motion to start and finish it like a parry, there you've just cleared the strike. Thanks to Seig for the insight.

Rob

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber

I wouldn't. You are talking about some useful beginning information but as you advance..... you learn to slip many of these maneuvers and not use the "block" word at all. At this point you learn to use "with" a strike/counter vs...... block then strike/counter.

:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber

Ian.

"We" aren't!

(Although lop sao has its place)

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We use a palm block for a jab and or cross. Main reason so we can grab the attack limb so we can apply are jujutsu techniques. If their hand is closed that is one more movement that has to be done before grappling (stand up version).
Bob:asian:

F

fissure

This last post remindes me of my answer to a back fist post in another forum. I love open hand blocking(and certain open hand strikes) for the very same reason as Kempojujutsu, the economy of movement when it comes to the follow up grabbing motion!:EG:

B

Big Guy

There is no such thing as a palm block. You would consider that a pairie. A block is the intent to stop a weapon in motion with the intent of doing no harm. A strike is considered to stop a weapon in motion or not with the intent to do harm. Jeff

F

fissure

Would you not say that most coventional MA blocks actually pairie the strike to some degree.Even the basic down block directs the kicking leg away from it's target more than stopping it's motion?
Maybe I'm missing your intent.:EG:

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Big Guy

There is no such thing as a palm block. You would consider that a pairie. A block is the intent to stop a weapon in motion with the intent of doing no harm. A strike is considered to stop a weapon in motion or not with the intent to do harm. Jeff
I believe it is call or spelled "parry" In what we do there is no blocks they may stop the weapon from hitting you and end up hurting the attacker. It all comes down to terminolgy, you can call it what ever you want. I have done palm blocks /parry that have left the attacker rubbing his arm after hitting some nerve points.
Bob :asian:

B

Big Guy

The upward block is the only block that has an angle of deflection. The inward, outward and downward all have an angle of incident. A pairie has a riding force, it redirects with no intent of hurting. I myself believe that all blocks should do damage so thereforeI actually consider all my blocks strikes. Jeff

F

fissure

Parry- you're right:asian:
I knew I should have'nt gone with Big guy's spelling. I think wild horses run around on the word we were using.

F

fissure

I myself believe that all blocks should do damage so thereforeI actually consider all my blocks strikes
Now I understand the last sentence of your first post.Many people don't put the same snap(impact) into their blocks as they do their strikes.

R

Rainman

Block set I. Heel palm pushdowns. There is the palm block and they are all over the system. They are particularly usefull in range 3 moving to 4 during "street freestyle" training. Can't tell me they don't exist I use them daily with either the heel of the palm or the whole thing depending on target etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where the line ends the circle begins. Inside the arm or outside the arm? Above the elbow or below the elbow? Usage is in the eye of the beholder... just another tool for you to consider and use if you need it.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

The upward block is the only block that has an angle of deflection. The inward, outward and downward all have an angle of incident. A pairie has a riding force, it redirects with no intent of hurting. I myself believe that all blocks should do damage so thereforeI actually consider all my blocks strikes. Jeff

If you are speaking of American Kenpo, you are mistaken in your use of the terms "incidence" and "deflection."

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

We use a palm block for a jab and or cross. Main reason so we can grab the attack limb so we can apply are jujutsu techniques. If their hand is closed that is one more movement that has to be done before grappling (stand up version).
Bob:asian:

I've never known anyone who could "grab" a properly executed jab.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would think that at the speed a jab is exected that you would be lucky to slip or parry, but to block and cause damage to the limb.....man you'd have to be on your game to do that. I'd rather duck the head and let them hit you on the top of the head (provided that the face is the target for the jab).

Rob

Latest Discussions