Palgwe Forms

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering what your guys' favorite Palgwe form is and why?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was just wondering what your guys' favorite Palgwe form is and why?
This is a very specific question to ask in general chat. Even most people who do Taekwondo probably do the Taegeuks, Songham, or patterns instead of Palgwe. And even those who do "Palgwe" don't always do the official ones.

BobY777

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Palgwe 4. It has so neat movement , Not found in any other form .
It just feels super good to do

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is a very specific question to ask in general chat. Even most people who do Taekwondo probably do the Taegeuks, Songham, or patterns instead of Palgwe. And even those who do "Palgwe" don't always do the official ones.
That doesn't matter where I ask this. If you have an answer you do, if you don't you don't have to answer.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That doesn't matter where I ask this. If you have an answer you do, if you don't you don't have to answer.
I'm saying, this is a Taekwondo question, and there's a Taekwondo forum on this site. I also know you're aware of it, because you've posted there.

I was giving you advice, not telling you what to do. Although, since you brought it up, I looked it up in the Rules and Policies | Terms of Service page and it clearly says to post in the correct forum. So yes, it does matter.

Section 1.1: Please post to the correct forum, for a reason and on topic. Do not cross post to multiple forums.
Section 4.1: Post in the correct and appropriate forums.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm saying, this is a Taekwondo question, and there's a Taekwondo forum on this site. I also know you're aware of it, because you've posted there.

I was giving you advice, not telling you what to do. Although, since you brought it up, I looked it up in the Rules and Policies | Terms of Service page and it clearly says to post in the correct forum. So yes, it does matter.

Section 1.1: Please post to the correct forum, for a reason and on topic. Do not cross post to multiple forums.
I didn't know this was specifically a Taekwondo question, I figured multiple arts use the Palgwe forms. I will take that into consideration next time.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know this was specifically a Taekwondo question, I figured multiple arts use the Palgwe forms. I will take that into consideration next time.
Why would you think non-TKD systems would use TKD forms?

Beginners often think pf the form they're currently learning as their favorite. Because new is cool.
I train and teach the Palgwae, Taegeuk, Chang Hon, and KKW Yudanja forms. I have no favorite.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I always have question on form that contain "side kick, elbow strike" combo. IMO, after a side kick, your opponent will be too far away from your elbow strike.
Forms are not choreographed fights.
If someone is in range for a side kick, they may or may not be in range for an elbow strike depending on multiple variables. Too, that particular elbow strike (striking your own elbow) is often viewed as grabbing the opponent with one hand and pulling them into the elbow strike. So that combination would be a side kick with the hand extended towards the target. Stepping down and towards the target (as opposed to rechambering), grabbing the opponent by the hair, shirt, whatever, and pulling them into your elbow strike.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was the point of my first post in the thread. Palgwe is a Korean word, which specifically refers to a set of forms created by Kukkiwon before the Taegeuk forms. ITF TKD doesn't use them. Most KKW schools do the Taegeuks. There is a very select set of TKD schools that use the forms, and none outside of that.

Hence my point that this was a TKD topic.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If someone is in range for a side kick, they may or may not be in range for an elbow strike depending on multiple variables. Too, that particular elbow strike (striking your own elbow) is often viewed as grabbing the opponent with one hand and pulling them into the elbow strike. So that combination would be a side kick with the hand extended towards the target. Stepping down and towards the target (as opposed to rechambering), grabbing the opponent by the hair, shirt, whatever, and pulling them into your elbow strike.
Agree. Similarly in Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk 2, Weili (two-time UFC Women's Strawweight Champion) performs side kick, step back + spinning backfist against opponent's forward pressure/movement.

1uoSgMK.gif

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What's your opinion about 1.50 of this video?

This analysis seems correct. The side kick is with the (shorter range) front leg, so the opponent need not be far away for this technique, plus, there is a deep step forward, putting the elbow further in range. Talking of "variables," it's possible the side kick to the ribs causes the opponent to bend over forwards into the elbow, or at least enough to allow the hand technique to act as an arm grab and pull him into the elbow. All in all, there is a realistic scenario that makes this a valid combo.

Incorporating the Okinawan emphasis on grabbing-pulling gives sense to numerous otherwise confusing kata movements. Indeed, the palgwae forms have a strong link to the Okinawan pinan katas.

Last edited:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hi Skribs,
While in general those rules quoted should be followed or one might get the attention of the staff or have a thread moved.
Yet, One could also be reaching out to the General Martial Arts for those who used to Train TKD , and have moved on for their own reasons, and no longer monitor that sub forum, while still monitoring the general forum.
Also while quoting the rules, it is always best to not accuse people, and to share it in a friendly manner.
Sharing is caring.
And Assuming one does it out of ignorance, allows us to continue with a friendly site.
When we assume one does it out of malice, one could wonder then about your reasoning of reviewing the rules and quoting them.
I assume no malice in the original post nor in the your post.
Just my perspective on this subject in general

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you start a thread in

- TKD sub forum, you may only invite TKD guys to participate the discussion.
- General MA talk forum, you may also invite non-TKD guys to participate the discussion.

Assume A starts his thread in a sub TKD forum.

A: In TKD, what's your opinion about ...
B: My opinion is ...
A: You are not even a TKD guy. Nobody cares about your opinion. Why are you still hanging around here?
B: ... :shamefullyembarrased:

Last edited:

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
That was the point of my first post in the thread. Palgwe is a Korean word, which specifically refers to a set of forms created by Kukkiwon before the Taegeuk forms. ITF TKD doesn't use them. Most KKW schools do the Taegeuks. There is a very select set of TKD schools that use the forms, and none outside of that.

Hence my point that this was a TKD topic.
The Palgwe forms were created from around 1967 to 1971, pre Kukkiwon. They are the precursor to the Taeguek forms.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Why would you think non-TKD systems would use TKD forms?

Beginners often think pf the form they're currently learning as their favorite. Because new is cool.
I train and teach the Palgwae, Taegeuk, Chang Hon, and KKW Yudanja forms. I have no favorite.
Because I didn't know specific forms were only specifically for Taekwondo. I thought all these arts used the same forms.

BobY777

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I always have question on form that contain "side kick, elbow strike" combo. IMO, after a side kick, your opponent will be too far away from your elbow strike.

What's your opinion about 1.50 of this video?

Here's one possible explanation. This is for taegeuk 5 oh yang, which also includes that move combination

Latest Discussions