IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Fine said:
IcemanSK:

Good luck to you and your students at that tournament! Let's hope the judges will be impartial, no matter who performs which version of a form.

Thank you, sir:asian:

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I learnd Oh-Jang that the first two hammer strikes are face level. My new instructors wants them to come all the way down vertical

Something apparently has changed with that (Oh-Jang) form. We never did hammer strikes, but inside middle blocks with backfist strikes to the face. Interesting............

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
I learnd Oh-Jang that the first two hammer strikes are face level. My new instructors wants them to come all the way down vertical

Something apparently has changed with that (Oh-Jang) form. We never did hammer strikes, but inside middle blocks with backfist strikes to the face. Interesting............
This is a reference to Taeguk Oh Jang, not Palgue Oh Jang.
In the beginning of the Pinan Shodan kata, there is a similar movement. As I learned it, that hammerfist stops at neck level. But....the way I learned Taeguk Oh Jang has the hammerfist dropping to waist level. Again, not saying I am right/others wrong, just weighing in with what I was taught.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do palgwe sam chang with the outside blocks when you are stepping backwards. To me it makes sense because your body is rotating that way from the step so the block can use that momentum as well...

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
http://www.vegastaekwondo.com/poomse.html

Shows both Taeguk and Palgue forms, informative site.

After reviewing Oh-Jang (Taeguk), the opening moves are hammer fists, but we were shown a backfist at our dojang. Personally, the back fist makes more sense in a self defense application to me.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
http://www.vegastaekwondo.com/poomse.html

Shows both Taeguk and Palgue forms, informative site.

After reviewing Oh-Jang (Taeguk), the opening moves are hammer fists, but we were shown a backfist at our dojang. Personally, the back fist makes more sense in a self defense application to me.

I agree. I always felt the hammerfist executed in the manner used in Taeguk Oh-Jang was clumsy. Of course, that probably was a reflection of my execution! I was taught that the target of the hammerfist in Oh-Jang is supposedly the neck/collarbone area. OK, fine...but if it were up to me, and I was attacking that area, I would be more inclined to use a knifehand strike and a front stance so that I could better "settle" my weight into the strike.....whatever.......Funny, your use of the backfist instead of the hammerfist would make the opening of the form very similar to the way I learned Palgue Pal-Jang (8)

Here's yet another decent site for videos:

http://www.fisks.com/tkd/default.htm

Latest Discussions