Pa Kua in Los Angeles

herdofcaribou

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi I am interested in studying Pa Kua in Los Angeles. I figured this would be a great place to help with my search.

I did some research on my own and found Dr. Carl Totton in North Hollywood at the Taoist institute. He seems very well respected and dedicated. Does anyone have any first hand experience with his school?

Also, if anyone is familiar with the geography of Los Angeles, I live in Los Feliz and work in South Central/Expo Park area. So getting to North Hollywood after work , especially in rush hour traffic may require a martial art of its own haha. Does anyone know any other teachers closer to say downtown or the east side?

I am very much a beginner to all this so any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

nikhil

Golden Harvest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Herdofcaribou,

You, being in a major city with a large Chinese population, are in paradise and should have little trouble finding a Bagua school. The question is really which school to choose. My humble recommendation is to check out Tim Cartmell at Garden Grove, which is just south of Anneheim,. He has studied Bagua in Taiwain and China and is able to speak, read, and writes Chinese fluently. He is an author with numerous books on Chinese martial arts. Although I never met Mr. Cartmell, I very very impress with his accomplishments and would very much like to attend his seimnar some day. If you do decide to check him out, please report back to us and give us your impression. We are interested.

By the way, here is Cartmell's website:

http://www.shenwu.com/index.html

As a fellow Bagua instruction seeker, good luck on your quest. For the time being, I will have to resort to videos. It seems that quality live and video Bagua instructions are not easy to find. :(

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mike Patterson`s website www.Hsing-i.com has a teachers directory. He lists teachers by state. There are tons of Bagua teachers listed for California, I`m just not familiar enough with the area to know who`s in L.A. and who isn`t.