Reaction score
This book speaks more about Bruce Lee as a fighter - Amazon.com

9781770417427.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those of us who see this are only going to read "I know a guy who knows a guy," but I think you already know that.

But, to be fair, what they're saying of Bruce Lee isn't superlative. There are many people we know personally that we can say that about.
Buka knows all the guys. When he says “some of the best martial fighters I know”, that’s a rarified strata of competitive fighters of that time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're too close to him to read it that way.

This is more "I know a guy who knows a guy."

Imagine me saying "Yes, Michael Jackson was attracted to adult women. I have a friend who was at the Neverland Ranch that had to listen to Michael and his lady friend over in the next room banging the headboard against the wall."

Is that really going to convince you? If you believe that he was attracted to adult women, odds are that you would've believed that long before I gave a second-hand anecdote.
That’s not really analogous. If Rickson Gracie told me someone has good ground skills, I’m interested. If I get that from a trustworthy secondhand source (one of his brothers, maybe), I’m good with that.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those of us who see this are only going to read "I know a guy who knows a guy," but I think you already know that.

But, to be fair, what they're saying of Bruce Lee isn't superlative. There are many people we know personally that we can say that about.
Except Buka isn’t some random guy, his experiences ARE superlative.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Is the author any kind of particular authority on the subject? He may be, I don’t know. His bio makes him seem like a dabbler.
Yes. Little wrote several books on Bruce Lee.

Excerpt from "Scholarship on Bruce Lee's estate:"

John Little is considered to be one of the world's foremost authorities on Bruce Lee, his training methods and philosophies[citation needed]. Selected by the Bruce Lee estate[citation needed], Little is the only person who has ever been authorized to review the entirety of Lee's personal notes, sketches and reading annotations and to edit books on the subject of Lee's martial art and its far-reaching philosophical underpinnings.

Have you read the book?
Not yet, but I have it. I've read about his various fights over the years (e.g., at YMCA, against an extra on the set of ETD).

Premiered Sep 4, 2023

Alright peeps, on this 136th episode of the Kung Fu Genius Podcast, the KFG (aka Alex Richter) will be talking to John Little! Lots of gems, lots of Joe Lewis all up in Bruce Lee's face, lot's of "Bruce Lee gave up on Wing Chun, right?... right?" Let’s get to it!

Latest Discussions