Outstanding TKD article

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taekwondo is a Korean sport which traces it roots all the way back to 50 B.C. In 668 A.D., a version of the sport was developed by the Hwa Rang Do, an elite group of noble young men devoted to cultivating mind and body. This is the philosophical background of taekwondo.

Zeller said that about 25 years ago, Koreans decided to introduce the world to taekwondo.

"They literally sent out missionaries to the rest of the world," Zeller said. "They wanted to make taekwondo an Olympic sport."

Sheesh!

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Sheesh!

Maybe they [the TKD Koreans] do seem a bit over the top with their zeal. You've gotta admire these Koreans for their tenacity. They did achieve their goal of making TKD an Olympic sport (now counted along with Judo). [I hear that Sumo wrestling is another martial art seeking the Olympic sport status too?]

Nevertheless, for that gal (Brenda Beardall) to go globe trotting before being a black belt in competition and getting her black belt in 1 year shows a lot of dedication and persistence. Mary Louise Zeller, of course, is the main taskmaster behind her success.

I've seen them both in action (they live in the next town) and they're truly awesome.

The only thing is, TKD is basically their entire daily life... there is little room for anything else.

- Ceicei

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree on both counts--great success for the Korean govt. getting TKD accepted, and for this woman becoming such a successful athlete.

It was the description of TKD's history that got to me!

L

LadyDragon

Well, I think we should all keep an eye out for this name in next years olympics. May be we will see a gold medal come home with her next year.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zepp
That's the version that Kukkiwon likes to tell. :shrug: What can ya do?

Yes, you're probably right.

It's just sooooooooooooooooo far off!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by LadyDragon
Well, I think we should all keep an eye out for this name in next years olympics. May be we will see a gold medal come home with her next year.

That would be cool! We've had poor luck with Judo but TKD is much more poular here!

H

hapki-bujutsu

this was very cool. some people are gifted in the martial arts they way some are in music i think. I enjoyed this.

Latest Discussions