Out in the open. Correct way to throw side kick. Sharp difference of oppinion.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
We place the toes pointing 135 degrees away from the opponent and our shoulders on a line towards the guy. Turning the hips even more and pointing the lower leg directly at the target it almost becomes a back kick. Moving the heel as you kick is murder on the knee if you try it on rough ground wearing shoes, not reccomended if you want to be practicing in old age.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think this is an issue of "right" or "wrong." You have to adapt your art to your body.

Last edited:

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use both methods, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

The kick that generates the most "penetration" (I.E., the kind that will "dent" a heavy bag, but not move it, or will break a board) uses the twisting of the hips at the last second to generate tremendous speed at the moment of impact.

Pros: Breaks boards, and by extention, floating ribs. :)ultracool) It also transfers a higher amount of Kinetic Energy.

Cons: The chamber and kick itself is more complicated, and can take a fraction of a second longer. Also, the distance has to be judged perfectly to get the maximum potential out of this kind of kick. And, as someone mentioned, twisting the foot after you've placed in on the ground can be tricky in some "real life" applications. (Like when wearing footwear with "sticky" soles.)

The kick that will cause the heavy bag to swing violently, and will throw the guy holding the board across the room, is where you don't pivot the foot, allowing your body weight to lean forward, into the target.

Pros: Is more likely to stop a charging opponent, which makes for a nice defensive kick. It is simpler to execute, which gives you a fraction of a second. This kick transfers more of your Body weight, which means you'll get more of a transfer of Momentum. This kick is more likely to move your opponent, but not to hurt them as much. (I.E. you'll launch them out of the ring, but they won't feel as much pain.)

OP
B

Babook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyone saw that Bruce Lee Video on youtube (the lost one) where he is talking about a kick having to have both snap and thrust. I think snap was for speed and thrust for power.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In TKD, it's pretty much generally accepted that your standing leg pivots so that your heel faces the target and forms a single line with your hips, shoulders and the direction of the kicking leg. That configuration not only gives you the tremendous power of TKD's 'open hip' kicking method, but in addition minimizes wear and tear on the connective tissue in your knee. There seems to be a remarkable amount of unanimity on this point (given how much else people find to argue heatedly about in TKD). That's the way I do it myself. As for the 'right' way... well, as I say, I think this method combines maximum force generation with minimum stress on joints, and I'll leave it at that. :wink1:
And I will second this statement, particularly the last sentence, which I have bolded.

Early on in TKD, I developed the 'bad' habit of keeping my planted foot perpendicular to the target. My kicks were high and quite powerful. I carried this habbit with me into TKD when I took it back up at the age of 39. Within a year, particularly on turning kicks, it was bothering my hip. I retrained myself to deliver my round kicks and side kicks with my planted foot inline with my body and my heal pointed at the target and all pain magically went away. Took me a while to regain my power an height, but it was well worth it.

Just my own experience.

Daniel

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's interesting, CT. Thanks for sharing that 'snapshot' of how age and experience can bring to light what youthful vigour can hide from us.

Because my empty hand background is very different (Lau Gar), the techniques described sound very wrong to me {:D} but it seems within the style under discussion a definite concensus exists as to the 'right' way :tup:.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's interesting, CT. Thanks for sharing that 'snapshot' of how age and experience can bring to light what youthful vigour can hide from us.

Because my empty hand background is very different (Lau Gar), the techniques described sound very wrong to me {:D} but it seems within the style under discussion a definite concensus exists as to the 'right' way :tup:.
A lot of it depends on how you chamber the kick. If you're going with a more karate styled side kick, you don't really need to pivot on the supporting foot. When you start chambering a side kick the way it's done in most Korean styles, then the pivot becomes necessary. (Also ends up being helpful if you need to cover distance with a sliding side kick. If your supporting foot's not in line, you really feel it in the knee and hip.)

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We have always been taught to "pivot" our rear foot, so toes away.