Ouchi, Ouchi, The Isshin Ryu Hook Punch

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I made a quick video for my nephew who is trying to learn some basic Isshin Ryu techniques. This is one of our upper body exercises, known as "Ouchi, Ouchi," which consists of a deflection-type block followed by two hook punches to the body.

Of course this is just the basic exercise. In practice, the hook punches could land wherever the situation demands. Simple technique, simply done. You can make it into anything, but this is the basic exercise.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Easter back at ya....

The drill reminds me of the body-hook combo I learned from the Golden Gloves trainer at my thai-boxing gym, nomenclature changes, but drill described with very similar body mechanics. He had me working that on a heavy bag every day for at least 4 rounds per class for a month. It grooved it so much that.. now if my R-hand fires in a body blow punch my hips and legs are already moving witht he other side of the combo.

To which my thai teacher added a low kick, but he was just plain mean.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I made a quick video for my nephew who is trying to learn some basic Isshin Ryu techniques. This is one of our upper body exercises, known as "Ouchi, Ouchi," which consists of a deflection-type block followed by two hook punches to the body.

Of course this is just the basic exercise. In practice, the hook punches could land wherever the situation demands. Simple technique, simply done. You can make it into anything, but this is the basic exercise.

thanks for sharing.

Latest Discussions