origin of breaking

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm just curious... a quick search revealed nothing. Does anyone know much about the origin of breaking? Boards, cement blocks, etc.. How did it get started, and how did it become such an important part of several arts?

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm also curious about this. I've done my own research and came up empty on this. Nice thread. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What follows is just my theory based on the development of other things within the martial arts...

I would guess that breaking inanimate objects became introduced to the martial arts as a suitable replacement for breaking people when the arts collectively began changing from -Jutsu to -do type arts (in japanese terms, any way, but not confined to japanese arts).

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that breaking is actually a very old element of the MAs. I'm just thinking of the nature of techniques like Iron Palm and Pao Chui (Cannon Fist) where breaking would be an effective demonstration of power. I'm not sure how old Iron Palm is, but Pao Chui goes back, at least, to the Tang dynasty (AD 618 - 907).

The oldest reference I think I have read to someone actually destroying something with a hand blow as a demonstration of power is Ming dynasty (AD 1348 - 1644), that's 400-500 years ago. For the life of me I cannot remember what it was in though, I'll have to have a look around (it could take a while).

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My personal opinion, based on no historical fact or evidence, is that breaking developed as a form of self confidence builder. Without actually applying your techniques in a real situation, breaking shows a person how effective their technique can be and builds the confidence that it can be used for something. My only evidence for this is watching a kid do a break....they are so happy about it and you can SEE in their technique and practice how much confidence it gives them.

I also feel that it was used as a teaching method to demonstrate the point that you need to attack through your target to be effective. If you do not aim behind your target, you won't break and it will teach via pain.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Breaking shows these traits.

The student demontrates they can focus on a point and apply what is needed to break the board or brick.

They show their physical ability, power, to actually smash something that can be, more or less, quantively judged as compaired to other students.

They also show they have learned the technique being demonstrated, say a side kick, or roundhouse, or punch, well enough to actually be used.

And yes, it's a confidence builder.

Now the boards and bricks are not fighting back and it's not ment to show if you are a good fighter or can spar well or anything like that.

Now I do know that after WW2, Japanese masters that came here did demonstations to spark up interest. Kata, self-defense, puching and kicking techniquest all were shone. Most of the croweds when 'ho hum'. But when they did some board breaking the crowds when wild. This puzzled the Japanese as (quite rightly) they though the other things demonstarted were much more important. But, you know, us Americans like flashy stuff.

I don't know how far board and brick breaking goes back, but I suspect it had far less importance than us Americans put on it.

Deaf

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All true, but I too am curious when it became a regular part of training! It's been done to some extent everywhere, but I have always assumed that most of the modern-day emphasis on it originated in Okinawa. However, that is nothing more than an assumption, and I would be interested to hear from those knowledgeable about the history of the subject.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have read stories ( I forget where but I can look them up) of Korean subak masters cracking pillars and punching through walls dating back at least 1000 years. Technically that's not breaking, but it shows the power of the technique and shows where it could have originated.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard it said that it goes back to getting through samurai armour. Whether it is true or not I cant say. I've got my doubts but would like to think its true.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Would breaking be analogous to how swordsman used to train cutting bamboo, hay, etc? Maybe breaking developed from that idea, transferred to empty hands. Just a guess on my part.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My personal opinion, based on no historical fact or evidence, is that breaking developed as a form of self confidence builder. Without actually applying your techniques in a real situation, breaking shows a person how effective their technique can be and builds the confidence that it can be used for something. My only evidence for this is watching a kid do a break....they are so happy about it and you can SEE in their technique and practice how much confidence it gives them.

I also feel that it was used as a teaching method to demonstrate the point that you need to attack through your target to be effective. If you do not aim behind your target, you won't break and it will teach via pain.
Not only confidence, but good technique. The board will very quickly teach you if you are striking incorrectly.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Would breaking be analogous to how swordsman used to train cutting bamboo, hay, etc? Maybe breaking developed from that idea, transferred to empty hands. Just a guess on my part.

I thought they used condemed prisoners for that. You know, one body swords, two body swords.... oh yea, that was just for testing the sword out.

Deaf

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just curious... a quick search revealed nothing. Does anyone know much about the origin of breaking? Boards, cement blocks, etc.. How did it get started, and how did it become such an important part of several arts?
Grog the caveman started breaking things and noticed that people were impressed.
Sean

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Now I do know that after WW2, Japanese masters that came here did demonstations to spark up interest. Kata, self-defense, puching and kicking techniquest all were shone. Most of the croweds when 'ho hum'. But when they did some board breaking the crowds when wild. This puzzled the Japanese as (quite rightly) they though the other things demonstarted were much more important. But, you know, us Americans like flashy stuff.

It's been done to some extent everywhere, but I have always assumed that most of the modern-day emphasis on it originated in Okinawa. However, that is nothing more than an assumption, and I would be interested to hear from those knowledgeable about the history of the subject.

We've talked about this in our classes, and our coach has studied the history of Uechi (an Okinawan style) to a great degree. He advised that board breaking was used in Okinawa as a way of generating GI interest during and after WW2. It was never supposed to be a part of training, it was more of an attention getter.

A few (IMHO)interesting thoughts/notes:
Kanei Uechi (second generation sensei in Uechi) created bridging katas that are used as transitions between the original 3 katas. These were supposedly used as training tools and to bridge the attention span of the western practitioners. So, again we go back to that whole attention issue. It was not unusual for practitioners to spend a year learning a single kata, which would be fairly unheard of in today's western practice.

A training tool in Uechi, the makiwara, is a stand made of boards, and was meant to be used to as a curative training tool, according to George Mattson (credited with bringing Uechi to the US). http://uechi-ryu.com/oldstyle.htm

I wonder if the use of a makiwara in training, along with the public demonstration of board breaking to generate interest, got confused somehow?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no source to back it, but I had heard that the boards were used to simulate the bone breaking as well. If your punch could break through the boards it could crack ribs or break a bone.

My instructors used to do board breaking, but it wasn't done with someone holding it. A person would stand off to the side and throw it in front of the striker and they would punch it as it went by. The object was to strike it properly so it would break and not push the board away. It was used as a focus device for training. You can also do this by yourself and suspend the board with a rope and strike it. Again the object was to develop proper focus and a whipping power in your strike to break it.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructors used to do board breaking, but it wasn't done with someone holding it. A person would stand off to the side and throw it in front of the striker and they would punch it as it went by. The object was to strike it properly so it would break and not push the board away.

I've done it when someone has dropped the board. Dont like it very much so I try to avoid it I must admit.

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have no evidence for this, but I was taught that board breaking is symbolic armor piercing. Like most jump kicks were designed to knock horseman off their mounts, most breaks are training for peircing armor.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no evidence for this, but I was taught that board breaking is symbolic armor piercing. Like most jump kicks were designed to knock horseman off their mounts, most breaks are training for peircing armor.
Actually breaks are a big confidence booster for battles and what not. Remember that Bionic woman episode with the "Four Boards". I think it was always more about goal setting than real bare fist versus wooden armor.
Sean

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not only confidence, but good technique. The board will very quickly teach you if you are striking incorrectly.

The board will teach you if you are striking BOARDS correctly but says very little for the ability to hit PEOPLE.

A heavy bag is much better.

Latest Discussions