Opinions ...

A

Ahriman

Hey Guys,

I'm 22 with a first degree black belt in TKD and 9 yrs of it under my belt. I've also taken other kinds of martial arts as well to a small degree; judo, kickboxing, aikido(yellow belt).

My question is this : I'm a martial arts fanatic and am always willing to learn more (no matter what it is). Is it more detrimental to be studying more than one types of martial arts? Why or why not?

The purpose of this is that I am considering taking a Wing Chung class, as well as a JKD class.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The cross-training or being a MA "fanatic" is not the issue. The issue is direction and purpose. Simply taking every MA that comes at you because its there is not unlike trying to watch an assortment of TV-s at the same time. IMVVHO if your training lacks focus, direction, and purpose you wind up knowing a lot of shallow things but nothing of consequence in depth. I would start to narrow my efforts a bit.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a nearly 2nd dan in TKD, but I have alot to learn yet even though physically some of it is too difficult for me at this point. That is why it is not considered near to "mastered" until 4th dan. Actually a first degree/dan is considered knowing the basics, starting to instruct under direction --definitely not the end of the road.

I have heard that Wing Chun is a good compliment to TKD for upper body strikes/blocks etc. But since it is also Chinese in origin it might conflict with your TKD/Korean training too. Since you are young, I would concentrate on TKD for now-to 4th dan-- and further down the road investigate other disciplines. Don't sample, though, a year here and year there or you will just get the basic basics of each discipline and not the meat. Then you will be a master of none and have wasted alot of time. My opinion. TW

OP
T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

I agree with Glad2Bhere but it's possible you haven't found the art that suits you best yet.

To me it's kind of like dating. Date all the girls you think you may be interested in. That way you will know what's out there. Once you have picked your true love focus on her.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I'm a 23 year old first dan in TKD, and I've done a little bit of cross-training myself, so I think we may have a little bit in common. First off, training in more than one martial art shouldn't be detrimental, as long as you can keep both of them separate in your training. An example of not keeping them separate would be something like reverting to full-contact sparring when you're supposed to be sparring light contact. (Might piss a few people off. :D ) Until you've been doing it for a while and have a good handle on the new way of doing things, you probably shouldn't try to combine the two arts in sparring. (But you probably know that since you've cross-trained before.) Keeping your TKD forms separate from Wing Chun forms might be a hassle as well.

I don't recommend starting two new arts at once,- that'll make anyone get sloppy.

As far as your choice of second art goes, like glad2bhere and TigerWoman have said, it depends what you're looking for. I think the major difference is that Wing Chun will be more technique-oriented in the beginning, like TKD, while JKD has more of a "train the same way you fight" mentality.

Can you guess which martial art, among Krav Maga, Kali, and Fencing had the most immediate and most visible effect on my TKD skills? Fencing. Even though my training was sporadic and short, it improved my sense of distance and timing dramatically. (Probably helped with Kali too.)

OP
A

Ahriman

hmmm, as far as what I am looking for ... thats a good question. I consider myslef to be lacking in everything, I am always trying to better myself. I do agree with you guys though, maybe I should concentrate more into TKD ... but I may one class on the side to help me out.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to get too philosophical, but what do you want to be fundamentally different about yourself for having done TKD?

This is the way I help my own students who are having trouble deciding about whether they are involved in the right MA for themselves. You came to TKD because you thought it would help you make something different about yourself. Maybe you wanted to be more confident in a social setting. Maybe you wanted to lower the level of chaos in your own head. Maybe you wanted to prove to yourself that you could take on a challenge and see it through to the end. Maybe you just wanted to get involved with something that would cause you to improve your level of "stick-to-it-tive-ness". Once you have identified the purpose for being involved in MA then it becomes a relative matter of reducing involvement with those things that don't move you towards your purpose and increasing your involvement in those things that do. If you keep an open-mind and make no judgement this will probably help quite a bit. Don't be surprised if your purpose turns out to move you away from one art and towards another. This is a big part of getting involved in the KMA in the first place. In this way you might find that you want to put MORE time into, say, wrestling or BJJ, and LESS time into TKD. Follow your heart and not your head. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually studying a martial art is about the journey. The purpose or purposes change quite a bit as you go down the road and find out about yourself and the art you are studying. I have learned alot about myself since that day I accomplished 1st dan in Taekwondo. Purposes change: exercise, social, avid learner, self discovery, personal challenge, skill, teaching, tournaments, or a combination of these. What I don't know in Taekwondo now as nearly 2nd dan would fill a book or more. I only wish I had the time to get to Master (and the physical ability) It is easy to lose the way and go in different directions and not go in deep with anything. You have to use your heart and head and not lead with either. For instance: I am passionate for TKD but my head tells me I am foolish to wreck my body at age 55. I have to settle for my limitations but you are young and have a lifetime. Whatever you choose to do on the side, investigate it before so that it doesn't conflict with TKD but rather complement it. And beware of advice of those who obviously don't like TKD and serve to dissuade you from your path. Even if you choose to not go on with TKD, for whatever you choose, stick to it until you gain mastery and not become a novice at many disciplines. TW

OP
A

Ahriman

... man ... never thought that this subject would get so philosophical ... my poor little head. At this rate I'll either jump off a bridge ... or jus flush myself down the tubes :flushed:

I see MA as quite a bit. TKD has done quite a bit for me and I plan on sticking with it for as long as possible. I'm just at the stage where I want to push myself to test my limitations.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ahriman said:
I see MA as quite a bit. TKD has done quite a bit for me and I plan on sticking with it for as long as possible. I'm just at the stage where I want to push myself to test my limitations.

Maybe the key thing for you then could be finding a teacher or teachers who can help push you. If you've already got such a teacher, maybe you could ask him how he thinks you can push yourself.

OP
A

Ahriman

To be honest, I don't think my instructor would beable to help me there. He would just ask me "In what way do I want to push myself?". I could push myself physically, mentally, even spiritually; and in all honesty, I want to push myself in all of it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahriman said:
To be honest, I don't think my instructor would beable to help me there. He would just ask me "In what way do I want to push myself?". I could push myself physically, mentally, even spiritually; and in all honesty, I want to push myself in all of it.
Then you have already answered your own question do it all and push yourself to the maxx, and let yourself be one with the masses... GOD BLESS AMERICA

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
After reaching 1st deg., I noticed from my instructor that the guidance wasn't really there any more. He would show me forms when I asked for more etc. But I also noticed it for most of the others as well. By this time,
I think, you still need guidance but you also know what you need to work on. You have to prioritize what goes first when. My weaknesses were upper body for knife hand, and jump back/jump spin heel. I also worked on splits, dropped board spin heel, and form for competition. You have to think about what you want to go further because you can only work on so much at one time. I staggered it so it would be physical jumping, easier technical, physical, technical on alternating days. If you want to get into sparring competition, you need to do more sparring with a trainer. Course, after the first six months or so into training for 2nd dan, I was pretty much on my own. That happens too when there is no structured black belt class and alot of lower belts to train. Hope that helps. TW

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ahriman said:

It sounds like you're ready to experiment with another art then. Good luck and have fun.

OP
X

XxTKDPenguinxX

I have trained in Issinryu Karate and in TKD. I have found crossing them to be difficult and have lost the karate part of it all now. There were too many differences in techniques...even on a single punch.
Issinryu's punches wre to snap. The thumb was placed atop of the fist. The idea of this snapping puch is to transfer the energy of your fist to the target. A speed break, would best suit it.
TKD, our fist is that of a boxer in the way the thumb is placed. The two knuckles we connect with start out facing the ground.. as the fist draws closer to target, we twist it over and punch THROUGH the target with force. No transfer of power, not flashy speed break. Just raw, battering ram, technology.
This, as well as the sparring differences, the kicking requirements and techniques. Too much to try and seperate them all.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
XxTKDPenguinxX said:
Issinryu's punches wre to snap. The thumb was placed atop of the fist. The idea of this snapping puch is to transfer the energy of your fist to the target. A speed break, would best suit it.
TKD, our fist is that of a boxer in the way the thumb is placed. The two knuckles we connect with start out facing the ground.. as the fist draws closer to target, we twist it over and punch THROUGH the target with force. No transfer of power, not flashy speed break. Just raw, battering ram, technology.

I don't want to steer this thread off topic, but I don't think I understand what you mean here by "no transfer of power." Every kick, punch or similar strike involves a transfer of energy from your body to the target. Doesn't it?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train (at my much more novice level) in multiple arts. I think it has only helped me in my own "personal journey", and in understanding the arts. I feel fortunate to train at a studio where cross-training is encouraged and available to everyone. I think it's a great idea.

OP
A

Ahriman

Well, I've decided to hold off for a bit. I have my test for 2nd degree in October ... and to be honest, I'm scared poop-less. I don't know if I will be ready since I had to take about a really long break from martial arts for college. I'm hoping to be ready for it ... but tests are scary. I hope to be ready for it.

And I have to agree, in any technique, there is always a transfer of power of some sort. How would someone beable to break (or cause any sort of damage) without transfering that energy?

OP
X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Zepp said:
I don't want to steer this thread off topic, but I don't think I understand what you mean here by "no transfer of power." Every kick, punch or similar strike involves a transfer of energy from your body to the target. Doesn't it?
Let me see if I can explain it a little better.

Let's say that I am trying a board break with a simple punch. Using TKD, I would punch completely through the board like a battering ram.

With the transfering of power, my technique would be more like a speed break. I would snap my punch out and back striking the surface and allowing that energy to penitrate the board for me.

This latter idea was developed for several reasons. First of all, the quickness of the punch was to keep the enemy from grabbing your wrist. The snapping would not allow you to fully extend your arm, thus less chance of a joint injury. Lastly, the "transfer of power" was/is suppose to keep your knuckles from hurting as bad.

Latest Discussions