Materials

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting together a how to guide for childern in my school, looking for materials that are basic, so the child can understand, along with a pictorial of all the basics forms(TaeGueks, Chongi, palwgi). Maybe some of you have this already in place, if you do not mind sharring I would appreciate this. By the way we are talking 5 yrs. to 10 yrs old. Thank You ahead of time,if you like you can P.M. me with the info.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Terry,
What my instructor did after alot of us black belts got books and had to revise them to his way of teaching, he started to put out 8 x 14 sheets of forms, one each sheet with white belt and pictures of him doing it...through Red Belt. He then got a plastic rack to put them in. I think his pictures are too small though to actually see much. If you have a digital camera you can do that too. Or better yet, an artist in your family could draw the outlines and shrink them down for the sheet. That would be more clear to see. And by making the original size at 200% then shrinking it to half size, it will look pretty good. Its the parents that will use the sheet, to help their child remember the form. The details can't be on it, they still have to be taught and remembered though. Its really better for the adults who have no short term memory arrgh or even long term.. Long process to put together, but very helpful. TW

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to make it very clear that I do NOT support teaching authentic MA to young children or using it as a venue for cheap day care or baby-sitting. Having said that, if a person wants to use MA in this way I would like to see a little more emphasis on the values that form the foundation for the arts. As I write this I am thinking of a couple of the following examples.

1,) Behaviorally define (or have the child behaviorally define) each of the O-Gae with perhaps five behaviors they might use in their daily life to show they are honoring these tenets. Award a star or sticker for each example of an instance where they have performed one of these behaviors when they are away from the class.

2. Using artwork as a medium for teaching the O-Gae. Have an art gallery where students can post drawings, photos, etc. showing the O-Gae in their daily life. Have occasional classes dedicated to artwork on the O-Gae including drawing, role-play and discussion.

3.) Bring examples into class both before class AND after class of examples of people who are expressing the O-Gae in their life. Keep an eye on local papers for stories of good citizenship, helpfulness and community action that might include local personalities the students might know.

4.) Survey the parents and care-givers to keep a finger on the pulse of possible issues THEY would like to focus on with the population you are working with.

5.) Remember to have a "best improvement" recognition for people who have made extra-strong efforts.

FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
A written training guide may be a little more effective for kids that age I think. Illustrations are great, but something that goes into detail may not keep the attention of a 10 year old, let alone a 5 year old very long. The written guide may be somewhat of an information package to be shared with the parents so they can work with their children a little bit more. Not sure if my point is coming across since it's very early in the day for me :rolleyes:

If you do send out something as a "how to" referance guide, are you going to give out the whole package at once, or send it out in sections depending on the kids level?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Langdow said:
A written training guide may be a little more effective for kids that age I think. Illustrations are great, but something that goes into detail may not keep the attention of a 10 year old, let alone a 5 year old very long. The written guide may be somewhat of an information package to be shared with the parents so they can work with their children a little bit more. Not sure if my point is coming across since it's very early in the day for me :rolleyes:

If you do send out something as a "how to" referance guide, are you going to give out the whole package at once, or send it out in sections depending on the kids level?
Send it out in section as they progess through the ranks

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is what my former instructor did. He had pamphlets of requirements for each belt progression. No form directions but self defense explained, kicks required to show, one steps, sparring combinations, breaking techniques. I guess he has changed it from then. I only had to do one steps for the first belt. If you had it all in one booklet, the parents would get more involved while helping their kids -- also might join --like I did. TW

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Yes, that is what my former instructor did. He had pamphlets of requirements for each belt progression. No form directions but self defense explained, kicks required to show, one steps, sparring combinations, breaking techniques. I guess he has changed it from then. I only had to do one steps for the first belt. If you had it all in one booklet, the parents would get more involved while helping their kids -- also might join --like I did. TW
Good point TigerWoman, The parent want envolvement like other sports there child is in. I for one believe envolvement is to join they are still thinking about it..GOD BLESS AMERICA

Latest Discussions