Opinions of ranking within a class

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there any clubs out there that rank their students within a class, and how do you find that effects them?

Our Instructor has just this term stared a new system of marking, on our grading result sheet there was a number down the bottom that said where we were in the class, ie: 7th out of 12.

Do you find that promotes healthy competition among the class mates or cause tension?

The reason I ask is that last term I spent a lot of time helping a couple of people that have trouble retaining information, especially technical things. And they both ended up doing better then me in their marks. Now I am thinking, should I be selfish and keep information to myself??

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
That sounds utterly pointless. The only ranking system that belongs in Tae Kwon Do is belt ranks, and arguably, those aren't even really vital. The only thing I can see coming from ranking students by number is unnecessary tension by forcing you al to compete with one another.

No Sarah, you certainly shouldn't be selfish when it comes to helping your classmates, but I think you'd be justified in asking your instructor what it is that he hopes to accomplish by doing this.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, that is kinda what I was thinking also.

I think our Instructor is just trying something different to see how it goes. The marks are private, but of course since we are all friends we shear them!

Its interesting because with the seniors the standings seem to be really accurate, but with the yellow belt class there are people up the top that its like 'what were they thinking'.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The arts that I train in that have less ranking I enjoy more. There is less competition and more learning things, at least it feels that way to me. I like it. The belt system is fine, too - each person earns a certain rank through their own efforts and progress. This system you mention, Sarah, sounds really counterproductive - once someone makes it a ranking between people, one person versus the other, it leads to competition in a negative way, I think.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Thanks, that is kinda what I was thinking also.

I think our Instructor is just trying something different to see how it goes. The marks are private, but of course since we are all friends we shear them!

Its interesting because with the seniors the standings seem to be really accurate, but with the yellow belt class there are people up the top that its like 'what were they thinking'.

IMHO, that's a completely backwards approach to martial arts training. Whatever happened to the concept in training of "check your ego at the door". This system will do nothing but cause pettiness and resentment and unnecessary comparisons aginst each other which can only end in bitterness and resentment. Martial arts is about personal betterment, i.e., are you better today than you were yesterday? NOT, are you better than so-and-so who's been training 3 months less than you? I think worrying about how you compare with someone else in your school will absolutely impede your progress.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah, Here at my Dojaang we will not compare any of our students with another, MA is a individual training, as you can tell if you pass that is what matter not weather you came in 7th or 1st on that test. In today society everybody puts so much on competition and not enough focus on ones own ability's. Every single person in the world has there own individuality you should be able to define yours without being judge by everybody elses. MA is a way of enlightment for some and the instructors of today have got to check there ego's at the door and remember what they wanted from MA in the beginning. I for one think every single MA should look in the mirror once in a while to remember there root of there Art, not just I'm the "Master" do as I say.... Just my own personal opion..... GOD BLESS AMERICA

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Other than using the WTF belt ranking system, we do not use the type of system Sarah described. If two blue belts want to know how they rank with each other, let them free fight and see who has better technique that day.
Ranking someone 7 out of 12 seems to me to have the potential of building jealousy and resentment.

S

sifu nick

I agree that not much good could come from ranking within the class outside of traditional belt ranks.

Latest Discussions