Open invitation by my previous instructor

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How cool is that!

Ok, let me explain. My sister called today. She put my nephew into a "sidekicks" class for wee ones at my old dojang (he earned his first belt today ... yellow if I remember correctly). She called me from there today after his class. My old instructor knew who she was talking to, and stole the phone (She was on her cell phone). Mind you, I haven't trained there in 4 years, other than the one day thing here and there when I visited NJ. He told me to bring my uniform (I still have my TSD uniform) and train when I come down (he never charges me for a few days training). He sounded like he was excited that I was coming down. So yea, I think that is so cool!

Did anyone else experience this from their previous instructor?

I'm so thrilled. I had to share with it with you guys :)

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey, that's awesome! Sounds like you have a solid relationship with your former instructor. Right on!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
How cool is that!

Ok, let me explain. My sister called today. She put my nephew into a "sidekicks" class for wee ones at my old dojang (he earned his first belt today ... yellow if I remember correctly). She called me from there today after his class. My old instructor knew who she was talking to, and stole the phone (She was on her cell phone). Mind you, I haven't trained there in 4 years, other than the one day thing here and there when I visited NJ. He told me to bring my uniform (I still have my TSD uniform) and train when I come down (he never charges me for a few days training). He sounded like he was excited that I was coming down. So yea, I think that is so cool!

That is cool!! The instructor obviously thinks alot of you and is happy that you'll be paying him and the school a visit!

Go and have a great time!! :ultracool

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
How cool is that!

Absolutely. When I left my Goju-Ryu training (over 10 years ago) to start training in Filipino and Indonesian martial arts, my instructor told me I was welcome back any time. I visit him a couple of times a year and he often asks me to join the class - even though I don't have a uniform. The last time I visited, he offered me a private lesson to go over one of the Goju-Ryu katas that he thinks will benefit me.

He doesn't understand my passion for the Filipino & Indonesian MA but he respects the fact that his path wasn't my path and he never harbored any ill feelings toward me about leaving. In fact, he's stated on several occasions that he's very proud of me for following my own path and achieving the success that I have along that path and he's always happy when I visit. It means a lot to him that I still show him that respect.

From my perspective, I never had anything but the utmost respect for him and when he accepted my decision to pursue other interests and left his door open to me without reservation, my respect level for him rose several notches from its already high level.

Mike

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Take advantage of this offer. It can only help with your knowledge. I wish I had that type of relationship with my previous instructor.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would also encourage you to work out with your old instructor again. it cannot hurt and who knows what will become of it in the future.

In the spirit of Bushido!

Rob

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all :) And Mike, that was a cool post. Yes, same here. I didn't leave my last dojang by choice. I had to move, but my old instructor is the same way. When I left, he said I am welcome back anytime. I always repected him to the fullest. I actually still have my TSD uniform. But I don't always have it when I visit, but he still lets me train. And it always "feels" like I never left. It is the weirdest feeling, but cool.

Latest Discussions