Open Critic

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm asking the students in my Dojaang to help me help other during the Holiday seasons. I have been criticized by my peers upon doing this. All I'm asking is if the parent can afford to give some food clothes or a new Toy to some family that is in need this season to please do so. It is not manitory or anything just a gesture of good will. Certain people find it applaying for me to ask. Looking forward to your comments on this one..... Thanks

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't find this idea appaling at all- in fact I think it is a good one. Not sure why people would find it at all a problem if it is not manditory and is only an "as you wish" type of donation.

I know of a few local instructors here who do the same thing and have very good turn outs.

Good luck!

:asian: :karate:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I think its a great idea!! You're not asking people to go out and spend a fortune on a gift...just something simple. I'm sure that pretty much everyone could go into their closet and find something that they haven't worn for a long time, and even donate that.

Mike

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see a problem with it as long as it's on a voluntary basis. It's too bad that some people think that donating to those less fortunate is "appalling."

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have trees all over town during the holiday season with stars of someone-girl, age 7 etc. You take a star and return a gift with it. They suggest kids in elementary school on up to take a star. But it is not mandatory as some families can barely get there own gifts.

From being from a family who was a recipient of such gifts, we probably wouldn't have had anything under the tree some years.

But I would either give money or something new. Worn stuff, I give away to Salvation Army or to someone I know who wouldn't be offended.

I find it appalling in the season of love and giving, that people find offense to the suggestion. I applaud you as a leader and role model to your students to make giving possible and a thoughtful thing to do for your community. TW

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, thats kinda weird that people are getting upset?

At my Dog Obedience Club we have a end of year function, we have a tree and everyone brings something, dog/cat food a toy or whatever, and put's it under the tree. Then it is giving to the SPCA, its not much but you feel like you are doing something.

Good on you for thinking of others, and dont give it a second thought!

terryl965 said:
I'm asking the students in my Dojaang to help me help other during the Holiday seasons. I have been criticized by my peers upon doing this. All I'm asking is if the parent can afford to give some food clothes or a new Toy to some family that is in need this season to please do so. It is not manitory or anything just a gesture of good will. Certain people find it applaying for me to ask. Looking forward to your comments on this one..... Thanks

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here, here!

:asian: Good for you to lead your community towards serving and giving back to others! This displays the quality of your moral character - don't stop, please. If it is voluntary, your patrons have no right to complain and if they do, their bad conscious is not your problem.

If your competitors complain, too bad for them.

Respectfully,

Georgia

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with it myself and applaud the effort.

In my currently school, every year they pick a charity (like a battered women's shelter) and at each belt level students have to do something in order to promote. One month it was gather toiletry supplies, once food...etc...
I like it. Everyone helps what they can. Every month 10 to 30 people promote so even if everyone only bring 1 or 2 things, a lot if raised over the year.
So keep doing what you are doing and ignore the nay-sayers!
:)

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I, too, think that that is an excellent idea.

I can only imagine that people would get offended if they thought you were requiring donations, which sounds like it's definetly not the case.

People are weird. You are setting an excellent example. Most organizations - i.e. my church, the department I work at, etc. - try to give donations to the needy during the winter holiday season. I think it's a wonderful idea.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
There's absolutely nothing wrong with running a charity drive. The school I trained at when I was a little kid taking Hapkido lessons used to run a Holiday toy drive, if I remember correctly.

Who is it that's getting upset over this? And what the hell is wrong with them?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think its a great idea.
If you are not demanding them to give but it is on a voluntary bases it is ok.
If they do not want to or are unable to thats ok also
You might also tell them they can come to you with names of those less fortunate.
The star on the tree is a great idea also but I like haveing the name of the person not revealed. Just a note saying "8 year old girl/boy." that way if someone knows the family no one get any funny feelings about giveing or what to give

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965

Who are your peers who gave you a problem about this? Other instructor's, other martial artist's, parent's? Just wondering. I agree with the other posters I think it's a great idea.

with respect
Mark

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You actually get criticized for giving to the less fortunate? I don't get it. Don't all of us want to raise our children to be humble and love thy fellow man? That giving is better then receiving? That helping others is a good thing? How rude can people get? I am a bit appalled.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just wanted to add that in the kids class I assist with, we give character awards for demonstrations of and improvements in behavior and character. One of these things is community service - the children are rewarded with these and they stay on record.

It's a simple stripe of black electrical tape on the belt worn on the student's right side, but boy are they proud of that stripe.

Now, these must be actions taken upon by the children willingly and without remorse.

I hope your critics turn their minds around.

:asian:

S

sifu Adams

I agree keep giveing. I though that was part of the martial arts is to respect and help others. the ones criticizing are not your peers if they were they would be helping

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
If you are promoting a philosophy of moral responsibility and respect of others, I don't see how this is so insulting to people. It is a chance for your students, kids and adults, to actively live the philosophy and exercise some civic minded behavior... keep it up.

The only thing that might make it a problem for me is if it was mandatory - but even what is the harm? If you 'expect' them to kick and punch and be respectful during physical training and people don't freak out when you are 'expecting them' to rehearse a violent gesture, why should they freak when you are 'expecting them' to rehearse a giving gesture, a selfless act of charity.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
terryl965

Who are your peers who gave you a problem about this? Other instructor's, other martial artist's, parent's? Just wondering. I agree with the other posters I think it's a great idea.

with respect
Mark
Boar Man a couple of other Dojaang said it was not right to ask people to do this, we are here to train not to make that decission for them and my reply is I do not make anybody do it it is voluntary. They seem to think that it will hurt people that can't and bring sorry to there family.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What they say is wrong - you know it is, Terry. I question (in my mind) those who can pay for lessons but cannot give. And I question even more those who would reject a needy person.

It sounds to me that you are training your students to do to be better people and be responsible for what they learn by opening their hearts.

The other guys are there to train their students to be fighters pure and simple.

"They are there to train" - train what? Does one not train his/her whole being? or are you only responsible to train their bodies, not their minds and hearts?

One can of green beans costs 40 cents at the discount grocery outlet where I live. I can scrape that up and, chances are, so can others. I can buy a pair of socks at the dollar store for - well, a buck. This is a hardship and brings sorrow? Goodness. I suppose it does if one budgets to the penny and just can't give.

Have you entertained the possibility of having people bring in their gift and the receipt for it and offering a one-time discount on their training fees in the amount they donate? For instance - if you charge $40 per month per student and one brings in $2 worth of food and the receipt, they get a credit for the next month for $2 off their lessons for the following month? This would work once per year, perhaps - you don't wanna grow broke. You could put a cap on the discount amount, say, $5.00 or something.

Keep on keepin' on.

:asian:SS

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Boar Man a couple of other Dojaang said it was not right to ask people to do this, we are here to train not to make that decission for them and my reply is I do not make anybody do it it is voluntary. They seem to think that it will hurt people that can't and bring sorry to there family.
You are bringing the lessons from the mat, off of the mat with these types of things. If they don't agree, who cares. It isn't their school. And, quite honestly, I think that if you know your students, you can gush over the one can of baked beans that proportionate to the household is a huge gesture just as much as the fur coat that is donated to reduce the 'feel bad' issue. The point is the gesture NOT the donation item.

They are being sadly short sighted about what this 'metaphor for philosophy' can accomplish IMO.

G

Gary Crawford

That's a great idea,nobody should be offended.It just occured to me that you ought to put a clasified ad in the newspaper.There are lots of folks looking for a worthwhile charity to give to.Since it is a charitable effort,many advertisers(radio,television news programs,newspapers)will do it for free.

Latest Discussions