Open carry misfortune

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
We've discussed open carry in the past and I've made no secret of the fact that I think it's stupid...

Regardless of your personal feelings on the issue, I think it's safe to say that this guy definitely should have kept his piece hidden.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/reports/reports2006/073106robNewtonPatton.htm
Man robbed in the Centreville area

About 4:10 a.m. Sunday, July 30, officers were called to the area of Newton Patent Drive and Newton Tavern Drive. A 21-year-old Centreville-area man was robbed while walking on Newton Patent Drive. Two suspects approached the victim from behind, and placed a metal object up to the victim’s head. The suspects took the victim’s hand gun which he was openly carrying. The suspect’s then fled the area. The victim was not injured.
The suspects were described as black males wearing dark clothing.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is like walking around with 100 dollar bills hanging out of your pocket.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I cannot for the life of me understand why it's so hard to grasp the fact that Open Carry is an ABSOLUTE "not do".

It isn't a matter of "right" or "opinion" It is a matter of "stone cold stupid", end of story and you are BUYING what happens to you.

A)It isn't smart, or a deterrent--You're gonna have unnecessary friction in public and with cops because you're violating the sacred commandment of "Thou Shalt Not Frighten The Taxpayers".

B)It won't matter to THIS generation of thugs if they see a weapon--If someone means to have you , they'll find a way and there's your only advantage ( or more appropriately, EQUALIZER, not advantage) gone, now they know to shoot first/ ambush/assassinate before proceeding to the crime.

There is NO ROOM for debate on this one. Carry open and you are BUYING what happens to you. BUYING it. End of story.

grumble mutter cuss curse swear. :rpo:

Last edited:

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, I'm not going to advertise that I have a gun on me and that's exactly what open carry is doing, hey look what I have, come take it.

Just plain ignorant, they can rob me and if they don't know I have it, then the surprise is on them when they turn to leave and I pull out my surprise on them it it's worth it, each situation is different of course.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great points and discussion so far.

Here in KS we actually had a guy show the AG and the rest of the powers that be, that open carry was a super bad idea. He slapped on his SASS 6-gun rig and walked through a heighborhood in a small town. Within minutes, the police had him surrounded and took him into custody, even though what he did was legal. This was one of the things that helped us get CCH here. They used it to make the point of how it makes the Libs less nervous, when they have no idea of what we are carrying or when we are carrying.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matt, I agree. We have this big thing now in Texas where they want it. Now I do hate the fact they can suspend my license if I 'flash' or 'fail to conceal' my handgun.

This is like walking around with 100 dollar bills hanging out of your pocket.

No not a 100 buck bill. With the cost of good handguns it's more like a $400 bill or more!

And if I was a bad guy and needed a piece, I'd just cold cock some geezer who packed openly and take it.

Deaf

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Matt, I agree. We have this big thing now in Texas where they want it. Now I do hate the fact they can suspend my license if I 'flash' or 'fail to conceal' my handgun.

No not a 100 buck bill. With the cost of good handguns it's more like a $400 bill or more!

And if I was a bad guy and needed a piece, I'd just cold cock some geezer who packed openly and take it.

Deaf

The same would apply to each and every law enforcement official walking around openly carrying a firearm.

I'm happy for everyone's concern, but let me make that decision for myself.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
The same would apply to each and every law enforcement official walking around openly carrying a firearm.

Oh well to each their own on this issue, but just to point something out, there is a difference between you, me and an LEO, most people won't just up and try and take an LEOs weapon from them, maybe it's the uniform thing.

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
while it may not be a common occurrence, it does happen.

Two rookie cops yesterday chased down a Queens punk who, after stalking their Police Academy classmate, bashed his skull with a baseball bat and stole his gun...
The thug, Danny Fernandez, 21, looked for a cop for more than three hours before he pounced on Officer Joseph Cho...
Fernandez allegedly told police later that he wanted to use the officer's gun in a series of robberies to pay off $16,000 in debt
http://www.nypost.com/seven/0206200...chram__larry_celona_and_dan_mangan.htm?page=0

I guess my question is: what is the perceived benefit of open carry? I'm not seeing one...

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh well to each their own on this issue, but just to point something out, there is a difference between you, me and an LEO, most people won't just up and try and take an LEOs weapon from them, maybe it's the uniform thing.

I was thinking more of LEO that do not wear a uniform. While, this can happen to anyone, I still think it is relatively rare.

Then there is that pesky 2nd Amendment that keeps getting in the way, the way it was written, not liberal interpretation of it.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
True, generally......though 10% of officers murdered in the line of do are murdered with their own weapon.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

You can do it if you like, I don't have a problem with it.....but it's kind of like playing poker while showing your hand......much of the advantage of a gun is the element of surprise.

As for Law Enforcement Officers......it takes away their element of surprise too, and in the event of shooting that gun and uniform marks us as the first target.

There is much to be said for keeping your cards close to your vest. ;)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking more of LEO that do not wear a uniform. While, this can happen to anyone, I still think it is relatively rare.

Then there is that pesky 2nd Amendment that keeps getting in the way, the way it was written, not liberal interpretation of it.
Oh I fully support your right to carry, openly or otherwise.......but just because you CAN, doesn't mean you always should!

It's always good practice to keep your piece hidden. ;)

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu

This isn't a matter of "right" to do something. Certainly I believe the "right" should be there as in if I flash my gun by accident I don't get crucified by local laws, , or if I'm on my own property I shouldn't have to conceal( though I would anyway).

wWe have the "right" to do any number of inadvisable things. Under the first amendment I have the right to enter a gathering of Neo-Nutzis and expound upon my views that racism is wrong.

What I DON'T have is the right to expect to be held immune from the blatantly obvious consequences of so doing.

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are consequenses for anything and everything we do. So, what are we to do, pull our heads into our shell and hope danger passes us by? At some time we need to stand up on our two hind legs and be men, responsible men. I never said it was responsible to openly carry in all situations. However, there are many situations where it is perfectly responsible to carry in the open. The individual has to make that determination, that is why the 2nd Amendment is an individual right, not a collective right/state's right.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Well cops alot of times have snatch resistant holsters, bullet proof vest, two-ways, and partners.

But yea, if I really wanted a gun, some of the smaller cops would be on the menu.

Deaf

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well cops alot of times have snatch resistant holsters, bullet proof vest, two-ways, and partners.

But yea, if I really wanted a gun, some of the smaller cops would be on the menu.

Deaf

If that was your intent, why set your sights so low? (pun intended.)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are consequenses for anything and everything we do. So, what are we to do, pull our heads into our shell and hope danger passes us by? At some time we need to stand up on our two hind legs and be men, responsible men. I never said it was responsible to openly carry in all situations. However, there are many situations where it is perfectly responsible to carry in the open. The individual has to make that determination, that is why the 2nd Amendment is an individual right, not a collective right/state's right.
I don't disagree in any general sense, i'm just discussing the practical side of open carry versus concealed carry.

Latest Discussions