Online Sai Kata?

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Hello,

I am trying to gain an understanding of my favorite weapon, the sai. I purchased a book, probably very well known, "Sai: Karate Weapon of self-defense", by Fumio Demura. I am also looking to find any additional sai katas online, as I want to be able to move with the weapons. Anybody have any links, or maybe comments from personal experience?

Thanks

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Site seems to be password protected now.

Cthulhu

M

MisterMike

I just played a Sai kata video. No connection problems. Loved the clasical music in the background too :)

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is it just me or was the video (filming) quality poor?
Half the time I couldn't really see what the guy was doing becuase it was so grainy.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since the videos only work part of the time. How do you copy them to your harddrive so you can watch them anytime?

-------

Nevermind, I was brainfarting and was trying to save it through WMP instead of just rightclicking it and using the "save target as" funtion.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I was finally able to access the video files. Unfortunately, the quality is so poor, it's almost painful to watch. No matter what size I viewed the files at, the resolution and level of artifacting was horrendous.

Cthulhu

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a pair of Sai's and a couple of books. We have no one with experience here. Thanks for the info.....aloha

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, I just bought a pair of Sai's and a couple of books. We have no one with experience here. Thanks for the info.....aloha
The sai is not an easy weapon to master even with a teacher so I am wondering how you will be able to do it with just a book.

M

MisterMike

Well, hopefully one's expectations are not to master anything from a book. Learn and experiment with, OK. If mastering ANYTHING were easy there'd be a whole lot of "masters" running around...oh...wait....nevermind.

noxia

White Belt
Reaction score
well, hopefully one's expectations are not to master anything from a book. Learn and experiment with, ok. If mastering anything were easy there'd be a whole lot of "masters" running around...oh...wait....nevermind.

lol

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I did a post about the sai not that long ago. Your best bet is to go to your nearest Japanese martial art dojo( for me it was a shotokan karate school ) and ask the instuctor if he has done anything with weapons. If your lucky like I was the instuctor will help you. Its so much easier when you have some one to show you the little things

tayl0124

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Some of those videos look kind of sloppy to me. Tokomine no kun with the hands so close to the center of the bo?? For higher quality videos, search through Sensei Radunz's YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/SenseiRadunz#p/u He is not my sensei, but studied under the same sensei as my sensei did. He is a bit quick at times thought so it may be hard to see what he is doing. These are all Isshin-ryu kata and techniques. But as others have said, I will also stress. Find a teacher to teach you. There is so much that a book or video can't teach you. I don't know exactly where you are from in Wisconsin but I know a guy who teaches kubudo in Mankato MN that is amazing. My sensei is actually taking instruction from him in Kubudo, as he style was taken from the teachings of Taira Shinken Who taught Tatsuo much of what he used in his system.

Koryu82

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone.. First and foremost I am glad I found a discussion group that could possibly help me in finding some training in a Koryu martial art. I currently reside in Virginia. I have bounced around from Dojo to Dojo in search of something not really knowing what I am in search of. I have done a good deal of research on Taijutsu and found I am torn between the Jinenkan and the Genbukan organization's. Any feed back on these two? Also does any one know whom, if any one that is training these arts in Virginia specifically Richmond and surrounding areas( I am looking for true Kobudo, nothing watered down). Any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Christan Smith

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone.. First and foremost I am glad I found a discussion group that could possibly help me in finding some training in a Koryu martial art. I currently reside in Virginia. I have bounced around from Dojo to Dojo in search of something not really knowing what I am in search of. I have done a good deal of research on Taijutsu and found I am torn between the Jinenkan and the Genbukan organization's. Any feed back on these two? Also does any one know whom, if any one that is training these arts in Virginia specifically Richmond and surrounding areas( I am looking for true Kobudo, nothing watered down). Any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Christan Smith

Hey Christian? Word of advice. Randomly bouncing from thread to thread that is (at best) pseudo-related to your question isn't the best way to get answers here. Find the appropriate forum (judging from your question, I'd say the ninjutsu section) and post a new question there. Much easier that way :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not exactly a serious suggestion here ... but I am utterly unapologetic ... here is the only sai training video any man ever needs:

[yt]RBbD5SCND3M[/yt]

I can't comment on the accuracy of the techniques ... :lol:

Latest Discussions