One thing I didn't realise about MA...

P

pakua

One of the many things I didn't realise about MA is just how many types there are!

Of course I knew there was Karate- I trained in Goju Ryu 35 years ago, and colleagues are in JKA/shotokan - and I knew about Judo. There's a TKD school near my home so I'd seen their sign. I know about Kobujutsu because my kids do it, and I've seen the turtles and a few Jackie Chan movies. Oh, and I now know that TCC is an MA, as long as you're not in a hurry...

But the sheer diversity of stuff in this site is awesome. :asian:

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Amazing isn't it? And along the way they all fit into the circle somewhere.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
pakua said:
One of the many things I didn't realise about MA is just how many types there are!

Of course I knew there was Karate- I trained in Goju Ryu 35 years ago, and colleagues are in JKA/shotokan - and I knew about Judo. There's a TKD school near my home so I'd seen their sign. I know about Kobujutsu because my kids do it, and I've seen the turtles and a few Jackie Chan movies. Oh, and I now know that TCC is an MA, as long as you're not in a hurry...

I wholeheartedly agree man! The number of arts, and the various blends thereof is mindblowing! It's also very exciting to me. I'm 100% satisfied with my own (American Kenpo, from the AKKI) but I'm a big martial arts enthusiast who enjoys learning about many different arts... so I intend on going on learning for a long long time, as there's so many interesting arts out there to learn of. That's one of the big reasons I like MT so much!

Another thing to think of, even within ONE martial art.... there's various versions of that art or other branches that have some kind of distinction of their own or practice/express the art in their own distinctive way. Take Hapkido for instance. From what I understand, there are many different 'flavors' of Hapkido.
Very interesting!!!
ENJOY!
Your Brother
John

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What i am saying is that MA is adaptive, and people can find there niech

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had the same sort of myopia before I went to this site. I thought kung fu was just simply kung fu, karate was simply karate, and that WTF Tae Kwon Do was the best type. How far I've come! Its really quite refreshing to know that there's so much more out there.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pakua said:

LOL. I sat down once and wrote a list of just the MA systems that I was familiar with - i.e.: things I'd either trained in, been exposed to, talked to or sparred with practitioners of, or read about. There were over 100 on the list and I know that still just barely scratched the surface of what's out there.

There are over 300 systems of Silat officially recorded in Indonesia. And that doesn't include a lot of systems practiced in small villages that fell through the cracks. That also doesn't include Silat systems in Malaysia or the southern Philippines. And that's just Silat.

If I had to make a guess, I'd estimate that there are 1,500 - 3,000 systems of martial arts in the world - and that's probably still a low estimate. It's mind boggling, eh?

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It is a game where everyone is sitting down next to each other, the first person say to the next person, the meaning of karate? and pass it on...by the time it reaches the last person...the meanings has change?
In life what was pass on,does change with each person,sometimes get mix with kung-fu,etc. , and the meaning gets change again,and again, never ending.
At one time there was only Karate,Kung-fu,tae-kwon-do,and judo. As it filter down to the ever growing world,like a tree,branches off, gets divided,mix,and mix-up....names changes like the winds and currents of the oceans...so do stlyes,forms,and fixtures. No one is the same,we are all different, and yet the same difference? HUH? OK?
Just this, with one head,a body,arms and legs, we all fight the same way (the body movements) .....,just the stlyes change? and anyone can create there own stuffs..and they do...ever hear of the Hawaiian stlye LUA?....a Hawaiian martial art form! just my thoughts?... Aloha from Hawaii

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I have to agree with you, quite a few out there.

The one that I am doing right now is very impressive. FMA, many islands and many systems and styles.

I like what Master R.U. Estalilla of Kabaroan Eskrima says about it being like chicken. Its all chicken just served, or prepared differently...

I thought that covered it pretty well.

Regards, Gary

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi, I have to agree with you, quite a few out there.

The one that I am doing right now is very impressive. FMA, many islands and many systems and styles.

I like what Master R.U. Estalilla of Kabaroan Eskrima says about it being like chicken. Its all chicken just served, or prepared differently...

I thought that covered it pretty well.

Regards, Gary
I like that about the chickens...I guess it is the same for "Turkey's....Happy Thankgiving!

OP
C

Chrono

Now the hard part is finding the one that you will enjoy most.

OP
P

pakua

Chrono said:
Now the hard part is finding the one that you will enjoy most.
Well I've settled into TCC now and I'm quite happy with s-l-o-w!

Latest Discussions