One of the Hawaiian Islands is for sale!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possession is possession. If you are in possession of stolen property you will be arrested.

Only if the authorities catch you.

Ownership is a legal definition.

Agreed.

Legal definitions are illusory.

A concept defined by a system that provides a mechanism to enforce your claim to property....as the law allows.

Should you and the authorities be in a position to enforce that claim-more to the point, should the law recognize that claim, regardless of what is right, legal or intended. Case in point: probate matters where real property is transferred to non-relatives, or people other than those the principle intended. Totally "legal ownership," transferred to those who celarly shouldn't have any claim at all, due to a "concept defined by a system that provides a mechanism to enforce your claim to property, as the law allows."

Again, "the law," is an illusion. Therefore, "ownership" is an illusion.....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As humans what sets us apart from animals is our ability to use symbols/words and symbolic thought upon which things like society, civilization, law.....hell any concept...is founded. As such everything is "illusion".

The whole coffeehouse hipster philosopher meme of "all is illusion" sure sounds deep, but in the end produces nothing but exhaled hot air.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
As humans what sets us apart from animals is our ability to use symbols/words and symbolic thought upon which things like society, civilization, law.....hell any concept...is founded. As such everything is "illusion".

The whole coffeehouse hipster philosopher meme of "all is illusion" sure sounds deep, but in the end produces nothing but exhaled hot air.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I haven't said "all is illusion."

I don't go to coffeehouses much.

Maintaining that the individual is separate from the universe is the illusion that leads to all others.

What I call "the big lie," for example: us and them.

'Ownership?" "The law?" "Self-ownership" (without any grasp or definition of the nature of the "self?)

Pretty lies, nothing more. The law is a toothless chihuahua that thinks it's a rottweiller...:lfao:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only way an individual can be separate from the universe is if it is separate from its parts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread kind of makes me want to drink tea and chant "om". I think I'd rather have coffee and a doughnut. Either way, I'd rather be on Lanai. :)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let me is if I can strike the root of what you are saying instead of swinging around in the branches like a monkey.

Your argument is if the Self is not dependent on it's parts, that it's parts are irrelevant to it's existence. Therefore, the basis for "owning" anything is undermined because the existence of the self is not dependent on its parts.

I'd like to get into this issue if we're going to continue this conversation. The basis for "ownership" starts with the body. If we don't own our bodies, we don't own anything. Taken a step further, if the self is independent of it's parts, there is no basis for stewardship. There is no motivation to take care of it or protect it because the core of the Self has nothing to do with it's parts at all.

So, let someone kill you. Let someone take your stuff. Smoke, drink and party. **** it. Why not transcend this Earth Suit as soon as possible and get into something new?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
And here are the great man's plans:

For the first time, Mr. Ellison has publicly detailed his ambitious and costly plans for the 141-square-mile island. They include building an ultraluxury hotel on the pristine, white-sand beach facing Molokai and Maui and returning commercial agriculture to the clear-cut acres. He also plans to endow a sustainability laboratory that will help make the island "the first economically viable 100%-green community." And one of his biggest tasks: winning over the island's small, but wary, local population, one whose economic future is heavily dependent on his decisions.

Latest Discussions