On age in the M.A.

W

white eagle

I was wondering what do you think of getting older in the Martial Arts?
Me I'm 46 and I spar and train with 20-30 something students and find- for me pesonally that I have not shown any signs of slowing or fading away
I was wondering if the older MA's feel the same way or is the opposite happening?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I age I see more and more in the techniques I was taught. I may have slowed a little and my bones may not be as strong a they where once where but my knowldge still grows.
As I fast approch 60 I wounder how long I will continue to teach and find myslef answering as long as possible and as long as I can depart knowledge.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I'm 45 and I have found that over the years I have lost a step or two to the younger guy's, but have more wisdom to be able to out smart them in sparring...And like everbody else(probally) it takes longer to feel 100% maybe a week or two after a tournament... God Bless America

OP
S

Spud

I always respect the older martial artist when sparring. When I was in my early 20’s fast, limber, with good conditioning they would read me like a cheap novel and wait to stick me hard once I made a (frequent) youthful mistake.

At 38, I haven’t made the transition to a patient, thinking fighter and still try to get by on physical ability – so the kids are wailing on me and the old farts still wait for me screw up.

Then again, I may just be a lousy fighter… :shrug:

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not old, but I do want to say that I got into the ring with a guy that was about 30 years my senior, and a couple belts below me and I got my a** handed to me on a silver platter.

Just thought I would share.

-Josh-

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heavy sigh! I'm 54. I'm not the same as when I joined TKD at 47. While I am physically stronger than when I joined, my knees are not. Of course, I have myself to blame. I have been an avid runner, training for half-marathons and l0K's most of my life. Then there was also eight years of high impact aerobics and tennis. And TKD the last 8 years is pretty much finishing off my knees with all the jumping. Not that I can't do it but I pay a penalty. I also notice I'm not recovering so quickly now after a hard workout. Plus I get shoulder aches, ankle, foot arch problems and others I don't want to mention. So growing older does not mean your're getting better- body wise. But I still hope to keep in shape to teach. And if I stop the jumping and just work on the floor, I will probably have more longevity. Yeah, its hard to keep up with those twenty-somethings! Why is it when you are young, you are not wise and when you finally get wise (enough) you are not young enough to enjoy your wisdom? I should have started TKD at 20.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm 44 and I have lost some reaction time and flexibility (attribute that to laziness), but I am stronger and smarter than I ever was.

I forget the source, and I'm not very good at paraphrasing, but the observation goes something like this:

Three kinds of battles:

young guy vs. young guy - all action and athleticism
old guy vs. old guy - there's probably alot going on, but its invisible to the naked eye
young guy vs. old guy - now that's an interesting battle.

Thoughts ...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Young guy vs Old Guy

OR

Youth, Abundant Energy & Inexperience
vs
Old Guy, Conserved Energy & Treachery

Hey, I just notice, maybe its appropriate I got purple belt on this.
Now, if I could just get my 2nd Dan belt....can't on treachery though :uhyeah:

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am 38...still work as a bouncer in 2 different countries as well as teach.

I have been in the martial arts for 30 years and I am faster and stronger than I was at 20!
At 20,I weighed 208...now I have about 40lbs MORE muscle and still just as limber
icon12.gif

I am up at 4am and training in my garage by 4:30 for an hour on weights,
work 8 hours(blue collar) and still come in for up to 2 hrs MORE training!
I have NEVER seen a 20yr old keep up with that!

"old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exhuberance!"

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bammx2 you are remarkable, I'm 45 and after 40 years my knee's are just about gone, still train, tournaments, teach and have my own school but I have gotton a step slower over the years, have more knowledge than a 20 year old that help me keep up, but I sure do not have the speed I once had... I hope you are able to say that way... God Bless America

OP
W

white eagle

Yeah I have noticed that I that to be more alert to my opponent

an awakening of sorts

wisdom maybe

Its cool though

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I feel better than I did in my 20's due to diet, and strenghtening my body "correctly". Also I have a better eye than the younger guys.

On the other hand maybe I am kidding myself cuz the young guys seem to recover real fast

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm 35 and feel better and perform better than I did at 20 or 25. I also eat better and exercise, so the conditioning helps. But still, I'm quite capable of performing techniques like jumping and making power better than I did 10 years ago. I'm finding out that I'm sort of the go-to guy for a lot of things. if someone wants to know about free fighting, kicking, forms etc. I'm the guy people recommend.
More importantly, I have not and will not let age slow me down. Barring anything unplanned happening, I have every intention of performing as well in my 40's as I do now (Knock on wood!).

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I'm 35 and feel better and perform better than I did at 20 or 25. I also eat better and exercise, so the conditioning helps. But still, I'm quite capable of performing techniques like jumping and making power better than I did 10 years ago. I'm finding out that I'm sort of the go-to guy for a lot of things. if someone wants to know about free fighting, kicking, forms etc. I'm the guy people recommend.
More importantly, I have not and will not let age slow me down. Barring anything unplanned happening, I have every intention of performing as well in my 40's as I do now (Knock on wood!).
MichaganTKD i hope you are able to keep preforming at the same level into your eighties, me, myself was not able to I did get slower but I'm like you I will be working out till the day I die.... God Bless America

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:

My instructor is in his early forties, hasn't slowed him down a bit. Although I do notice now that he mentions stiffness and being sore a little more often. But keeping fit and active is the best "revenge" to getting "older". Hey I get to spar some thirtysomethings this weekend for their BB test. And when, I wake up stiff, I just do some stretches and I'm good-- except for the aftermath of a hard workout. That might take a couple days until I don't feel like the Tinman in OZ anymore. :uhyeah:

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The day Tae Kwon Do is no longer fun for me (and hopefully that day never comes) is the day I hang it up. There is nothing worse than someone who teaches or practices something and derives no fun from it. I know Instructors in our organization who, it's pretty obvious, look at Tae Kwon Do as just something they do. One of the reasons our Grandmaster has practiced TKD for almost 50 years is because he loves it to the depths of his soul. I feel the same way. I couldn't imagine, even 20+ years later, not practicing Tae Kwon Do. It gives me something I've never gotten anywhere else. That kind of inspiration keeps me motivated to practice. I'll probably be doing a double knife hand block when they stick me in my coffin. In fact, I'm thinking of writing my will to make that happen:)

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
early 40's?! I had an instructor well into his 50's and still whoopin butt!
I don't expect to go on forever.........but there is no age limit to teaching as long as your mind is still there.
I have a permanent back injury that prevents me from doing certian things like most jumping kicks(aside from the fact I don't like them)but I can still teach people how to do them and have quite a good success rate.
We all will slow down eventually in the physical state,but those who cannot honor knowledge.............I have no use for.
wisdom rules!
icon10.gif

OP
T

TKD USA

I have nothing against old instructors but when my instructor who is 24 sparred someone who was older and a higher Dan he was really holding his own if you know what I mean, and in my opinion I raelly don't think the age matters I think it's the experience.

Latest Discussions