Olympic Triumphs and Tragedies

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, the olympics are almost over, so far what do you think were the best moments in the Olympics and what do you think were the most heartbreaking?

For me, seeing the crowd go nuts when the Russian gymnast, Alexi Nemov did not receive a good score from the judges after a near flawless routine put a big smile on my face. In a sport where the medal is dictated by other people on the sidelines, I thought that it was in the true nature of good sportsmanship that the crowd filled with people from different nations, rallied behind him and forced the judges to re-evaluate his score.

One of the most heartbreaking moments for me was when Matt Emmunds of the USA lost the gold medal by shooting at the wrong target, forcing him to score a zero on the last shot of the finals in Men's 50 m Three position rifle. I was stunned that it even happened and my heart goes out to him. I have had the pleasure of meeting Matt at the Canadian National Smallbore Championships in Calgary last year. He is a fine athlete and has amazing talent.

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One of the best moments I saw was when Leonidas Sampanis, a greek weightlifter, received his bronze medal and the crowd applauded and cheered on one of their own for 5 mins, bringing the medal ceremony to a complete stop. One of the saddest was when it was stripped from him for testing positive on a drug test.
Sean

A

Akula

High Point: Swimming - Men's 4 x 200 Free Relay, on the last leg, the Klete Keller from the US holding off Ian Thorpe of Australia for the gold medal. I liked this more to the point of it being great race, not necessarily for who won.

Low Point: Swimming - Men's 100 Breast race where the Japanese swimmer Kitajima used an illegal kick on his start and turn and won because of this advantage. I know this is open for debate, but from my experience, this was definitely an illegal move, but the judge didn't call it. You can't appeal or protest a non-call.

High Point: Fencing - US fencer Mariel Zagunis winning the women's sabre event. Interesting story of someone who didn't make the original cut for this event, but qualified through another country backing out.

Low Point: Marathon - The Brazilian runner Vanderlei Lima being attacked by a bystander during the race, he continued to run and won the bronze.

There's many more, but I'll keep this post short. I'll add more if it keeps going.

A

Akula

Oh yeah,

Low Point in the Olypmics in general. Seems there was a lot more issues with positive drug tests this time around.

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Akula said:
Oh yeah,

Low Point in the Olypmics in general. Seems there was a lot more issues with positive drug tests this time around.
Its really quite simple if you want to compete DONT take drugs.
I have no sympathy for them.

David

L

Luno

i aggree in a tournment ment to bring people from all over for a short time for honnorable compition for those brave warriors willing to risk everything for themselves as well as their country to cheat makes no sense because if it gets discovered aren't you then banned from the sport you spent your life in. winning is great and i aggree in battle one should use any advantage possible but there are clearly defined rules and with all the training those warriors go through there has to be a way for all of them to win they just have to find it

Latest Discussions