Old vids of me sparring Shotokan vs freestyle

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i think its not surprising that (nearly) everyone can, if he want, spar in full contact. i had no doubt of it.
but the funny thing is, there really are (shotokan) people out there, who focus their training that much on point fighting for tournaments that they even train on pads and b.o.b.s to just touch them so they don't even know how it feels or how the distance should be to hit hard. no joke. i saw it that often that i think first of that when i hear shotokan... :(

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think its not surprising that (nearly) everyone can, if he want, spar in full contact. i had no doubt of it.
but the funny thing is, there really are (shotokan) people out there, who focus their training that much on point fighting for tournaments that they even train on pads and b.o.b.s to just touch them so they don't even know how it feels or how the distance should be to hit hard. no joke. i saw it that often that i think first of that when i hear shotokan... :(

There really are all sorts of people out there. If they want to be successful in points competitions they will train hard at that, no surprise there and good luck to them. It's still not Shotokan, it's still points sparring competitive rules.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wanted to update. Haven't been here in a while but here's two more vids. These a couple of months back and was my 1st time doing sparring at a small tourney to get the rust out.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wanted to update. Haven't been here in a while but here's two more vids. These a couple of months back and was my 1st time doing sparring at a small tourney to get the rust out.

Nice work looks good

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Which guy are you in these videos?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
in the 1st vid im the one on the left and in the second vid im in the 1st fight im on the right.
Just making sure before I said what I was thinking. lol. I can tell the difference in the training of the two schools. If I had to guess I would say that your school, more specifically you, don't take point sparring approach to training.

You didn't waste energy, you had solid footing, and your fighting strategy screams self-defense because you seem to be positioning yourself to have an advantage after your opponent strikes. When I look at point sparring, the fighters always seem to hit just to be hitting which results in them being in a bad position after the hit. There were a couple of places in that video where you got hit, but was in an excellent position to deliver a stronger punch.

The guy in the second video was all over the place with his leaping backfits. The next time someone does that just launch a side kick into their ribs. The second guy made you look good though, which is all that matters lol.

Great job all around. Looks like there wasn't much rust to knock off.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just making sure before I said what I was thinking. lol. I can tell the difference in the training of the two schools. If I had to guess I would say that your school, more specifically you, don't take point sparring approach to training.

You didn't waste energy, you had solid footing, and your fighting strategy screams self-defense because you seem to be positioning yourself to have an advantage after your opponent strikes. When I look at point sparring, the fighters always seem to hit just to be hitting which results in them being in a bad position after the hit. There were a couple of places in that video where you got hit, but was in an excellent position to deliver a stronger punch.

The guy in the second video was all over the place with his leaping backfits. The next time someone does that just launch a side kick into their ribs. The second guy made you look good though, which is all that matters lol.

Great job all around. Looks like there wasn't much rust to knock off.

Oss! Yes sir! I don't really take point sparring too serious as other karatekas do (mainly those "sport" karatekas) but I do like to compete because of their random attacks. In essence I like to develop strategies during the fight to see what works etc. Oh and in my honest opinion... I care not that I lose a sparring match... because that's exactly what it is... sparring!

and thank you sir!

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oss! Yes sir! I don't really take point sparring too serious as other karatekas do (mainly those "sport" karatekas) but I do like to compete because of their random attacks. In essence I like to develop strategies during the fight to see what works etc. Oh and in my honest opinion... I care not that I lose a sparring match... because that's exactly what it is... sparring!

and thank you sir!
Pretty much my view on things. Points matches are fun but obviously you'd never really defend yourself in the same way like some leaping in with back fists etc but it's good to develop strategies. Same here I never care if I win or lose sparring there's no such thing anyway as winning a sparring match and in the ring in competition obviously I want to win but if not its not the end of the world life goes on the world keeps turning.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like that you didn't trade good technique for bad technique just for the sake of scoring a point. You may lose in point sparring but you honor the fighting system you study by being a good representation of it.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like that you didn't trade good technique for bad technique just for the sake of scoring a point. You may lose in point sparring but you honor the fighting system you study by being a good representation of it.

Yes will never do that.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I fought my 1st "blitz" dude in a small tournament yesterday.... oh mang that was annoying as hell... dude was fast yea I give him that... his technique was absolutely terrible even though he did "get there 1st" etc. No power behind it or nothing. Gets even more frustrating where I placed a kick right to his face (stepping hook kick), and my kick wasn't called. I thought it was BS imo its not full contact etc. I feel that I would have to make even more contact and possile hurt others just to prove a point. IDK if its because they knew I am going for my black belt testing that they made it harder etc... but in karate, imo, there should ALWAYS be control etc.

Latest Discussions