Old vids of me sparring Shotokan vs freestyle

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This was a vid of ..... shoot... 2009... so it was many years ago when I just got my purple belt... I think if I remember correctly haha.... but yea fought this dude, who informed me that he had already over 20 cage fights (mma).... I think I've gotten better since then, especially with the understanding of the martial arts (mentally). *I'm the one with the red gloves & footpad kept coming off cuz initially I didn't want to use any.

Round 1:

Round 2:

PS.... Yes I did get hit in the jewels

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
this was kickboxing rules?
didn't look like shotokan, so no matter what shotokan belt, if you train like a kickboxer, you are already better prepared for fights like this. :) not sure about the guy with the blue gloves. doesn't looks like many mma experience to me.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
this was kickboxing rules?
didn't look like shotokan, so no matter what shotokan belt, if you train like a kickboxer, you are already better prepared for fights like this. :) not sure about the guy with the blue gloves. doesn't looks like many mma experience to me.

freestyle rules so it can benefit the many that where there. You can not fight conventional shotokan in a real life fight. One of the rules there was not to hit that hard, cuz we wasn't trying to send each other to the hospital etc..... so I treated that more like a light sparring match. Also, in karate there isn't a sport kumite. Sport kumite (point fighting) was brought well after.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
imo freestyle would include grappling/ground fighting but with full boxing gloves uhm whatever. i guess every host has his own interpretation.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
imo freestyle would include grappling/ground fighting but with full boxing gloves uhm whatever. i guess every host has his own interpretation.

The term "freestyle" was used there as there were many different styles fighting so they had just a "universal" set of rules. Not just "karate fighting rules" or "taekwondo rules" for example.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Grappling on a hardwood floor? that's insane. There would be so many injuries from something like that. There's a reason why grapplers use a mat.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freestyle in karate competitions usually means more or less kickboxing. It allows anyone from any style to compete. I've never known it to mean using groundwork.

didn't look like shotokan,

I'm not sure what you think Shotokan sparring should look like? or for that matter what you think karate sparring should look like?

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Grappling on a hardwood floor? that's insane. There would be so many injuries from something like that. There's a reason why grapplers use a mat.
well not if its light sparring. we did so, too. but surely even "light throwing" since its just training not killing each other. no mats is just another sign of no "freestyle" rules (when freestyle means same as mma), like the full gloves in which one couldn't grab.

Freestyle in karate competitions usually means more or less kickboxing. It allows anyone from any style to compete. I've never known it to mean using groundwork.
I'm not sure what you think Shotokan sparring should look like? or for that matter what you think karate sparring should look like?

there's so much karate styles and federations, here in germany freestyle karate (in the wkf) means again something very different.
shotokan is point fighting, no infights, no low kicks, no hooks, bad covering, just straight punches and backfist, but all kind of snapping or straight kicks above the waist and foot sweeps. but it may vary in the federations. it has many similarities to taekwondo which originated partially from shotokan.

by the way there are karate styles using groundwork in their sparring, like goju ryu in their irikumi.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's so much karate styles and federations, here in germany freestyle karate (in the wkf) means again something very different.
shotokan is point fighting, no infights, no low kicks, no hooks, bad covering, just straight punches and backfist, but all kind of snapping or straight kicks above the waist and foot sweeps. but it may vary in the federations. it has many similarities to taekwondo which originated partially from shotokan.

by the way there are karate styles using groundwork in their sparring, like goju ryu in their irikumi

You are mixing up competition rules with fighting/sparring styles. Shotokan isn't as you describe it but point fighting is, I know many Shotokan full contact fighters plus many who do not compete at all in any competitions. Inference should not be drawn from competitive fights as to how a style actually fights/spars.

'By the way' my style Wado Ryu has groundwork too. Freestyle doesn't mean MMA, MMA means MMA and like Judo and Jujutsu ( both Brazilian and Japanese) will be done on mats either in a hall or a cage/ring but always mats. It's done for sport so there's never a reason to have extra injuries by not using mats.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Probably the traditional back & forth kumite with controlled techniques. I've seen alot of those on youtube.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the traditional back & forth kumite with controlled techniques. I've seen alot of those on youtube.

Not at all, more similar to full contact kick boxing which isn't a coincidence.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You are mixing up competition rules with fighting/sparring styles. Shotokan isn't as you describe it but point fighting is, I know many Shotokan full contact fighters plus many who do not compete at all in any competitions. Inference should not be drawn from competitive fights as to how a style actually fights/spars.

'By the way' my style Wado Ryu has groundwork too. Freestyle doesn't mean MMA, MMA means MMA and like Judo and Jujutsu ( both Brazilian and Japanese) will be done on mats either in a hall or a cage/ring but always mats. It's done for sport so there's never a reason to have extra injuries by not using mats.

giphy.gif

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not at all, more similar to full contact kick boxing which isn't a coincidence.

Word.... well he described pretty much what I referred to haha

"shotokan is point fighting, no infights, no low kicks, no hooks, bad covering, just straight punches and backfist"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word.... well he described pretty much what I referred to haha

"shotokan is point fighting, no infights, no low kicks, no hooks, bad covering, just straight punches and backfist"

Er no. Points fighting is only one ruleset, I'm talking about full contact sparring, you know ...where a KO wins and you aren't penalised for drawing blood, you don't stop after a strike and pull back. There's quite a few different rule sets for kick boxing.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Er no. Points fighting is only one ruleset, I'm talking about full contact sparring, you know ...where a KO wins and you aren't penalised for drawing blood, you don't stop after a strike and pull back. There's quite a few different rule sets for kick boxing.

oh ok I see what you mean.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
tell that to the wkf. or jka. they do as i described. and are by no means the only ones. and also founder funakoshi didn't want full contact. so shotokan in general has nothing to do with full contact.
but i don't want to argue.
every "freestyle" standup could be described as kickboxing since in kickboxing tournaments or sparring, no one cares if you are karateka, taekwondoin or muay thai boxer.

OP
BigJavi973

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
tell that to the wkf. or jka. they do as i described. and are by no means the only ones. and also founder funakoshi didn't want full contact. so shotokan in general has nothing to do with full contact.
but i don't want to argue.
every "freestyle" standup could be described as kickboxing since in kickboxing tournaments or sparring, no one cares if you are karateka, taekwondoin or muay thai boxer.

I know that. I stated as such earlier: "Also, in karate there isn't a sport kumite. Sport kumite (point fighting) was brought well after."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
every "freestyle" standup could be described as kickboxing since in kickboxing tournaments or sparring, no one cares if you are karateka, taekwondoin or muay thai boxer

Sigh, which brings me back to what I said, freestyle means any style can compete.

Karate is a generic name, there's many styles of karate so better not to generalise by saying 'karate has or doesn't have.......'

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yes but it just didn't look like shotokan, thats what i said and it wasn't an offend since kickboxing is, at least in my opinion, more effective.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes but it just didn't look like shotokan, thats what i said and it wasn't an offend since kickboxing is, at least in my opinion, more effective.

You've missed the point haven't you or perhaps you don't understand? We've just been round in a circle. Point fighting is a rule set, it isn't a style of martial arts. Shotokan people can do it as can other stylists. They can also spar full contact, they may or may not but they can. When they are training in the class they don't point spar, they train in what you would call a kick boxing style. There is also a rule set called 'continuous', where the competitors don't stop after striking. There's other rule sets too, most karateka can compete in all of these if they wish, many don't want to but they are able to if they wanted to. Point sparring isn't Shotokan.

Latest Discussions