Old guy doing new things.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I feel for you. There's not much of a selection for you to choose from. There are some other options 50 minutes away, but I don't know what the travel time is like for you. I think the longest I traveled was 45 minutes away with traffic.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Their website is here.. Martial Arts School Janesville | AmeriKick Wisconsin

I emailed them with some questions and here is their answers...
Janesville is not far from Madison, there are more opportunities there if you are willing to travel a bit. For quality training, the travel is worth it but takes some additional commitment.

I grew up in Southwest Wisconsin, about an hour and a half from Madison and I was driving in to Madison a couple times a week for training, at one point.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't stick fight so some of this seems questionable to me.
Thanks for this. I haven't watched any of the other videos yet - heading out for a bit so hopefully will later tonight. Just wanted to check the stickfighting one.
So all the terminology that he used comes directly from fma, and the techniques themselves do to. The issue is that the way they are combining it does not work in application all that well - they're using corto (close-range) techniques to deal with largo (long range)techniques, and combining both of them together, when you have to transition between them. In a vacuum all the techniques would work out well, but really it would only take a week of focus to try the drills, figure out what does/doesn't work in them and revamp them. Which means they're close, but also implies that when (if) they do stick sparring they're not actually trying the techniques against a fully resistant person.

It's like those techniques against a jab you see where you know the persons not going to just keep their hand out their and let you elbow their elbow before you do the actual counter.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Janesville is not far from Madison, there are more opportunities there if you are willing to travel a bit. For quality training, the travel is worth it but takes some additional commitment.

I grew up in Southwest Wisconsin, about an hour and a half from Madison and I was driving in to Madison a couple times a week for training, at one point.
I would definitely go for Quality in this case. It would be better to spend the extra time and gas to get it.

Here's what one Amerikicks schools describes itself. "The AmeriKick System of Martial Arts combines traditional Kenpo Karate with modern day Kickboxing, Boxing, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Filipino Arnis." Just the number of those systems combined means there will be reduced quality. This is one of those cases where less is more.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would definitely go for Quality in this case. It would be better to spend the extra time and gas to get it.

Here's what one Amerikicks schools describes itself. "The AmeriKick System of Martial Arts combines traditional Kenpo Karate with modern day Kickboxing, Boxing, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Filipino Arnis." Just the number of those systems combined means there will be reduced quality. This is one of those cases where less is more.
I have the feeling that each of the schools does their own thing as far as curriculum goes. Which makes me wonder what the purpose of the organization is. Training in one school wouldn't carry over to another.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I haven't watched any of the other videos yet - heading out for a bit so hopefully will later tonight. Just wanted to check the stickfighting one.
So all the terminology that he used comes directly from fma, and the techniques themselves do to. The issue is that the way they are combining it does not work in application all that well - they're using corto (close-range) techniques to deal with largo (long range)techniques, and combining both of them together, when you have to transition between them. In a vacuum all the techniques would work out well, but really it would only take a week of focus to try the drills, figure out what does/doesn't work in them and revamp them. Which means they're close, but also implies that when (if) they do stick sparring they're not actually trying the techniques against a fully resistant person.

It's like those techniques against a jab you see where you know the persons not going to just keep their hand out their and let you elbow their elbow before you do the actual counter.
The video was well done. As for combat effectiveness, I'm kind of with you. It's basically Ed Parker's kenpo adapted to stick fighting. As such, it's an extension of kenpo's empty hand techniques rather than a fully independent developed stick fighting system as you find in FMA. I think it may work against an untrained attacker but would not fare well against an escrima/kali practitioner.

I agree with you about the transitions and combinations being questionable, not so much about the distance (although the backhand stick strike to the ribs was too close to generate effective power), but in utilizing unarmed techniques in conjunction with the stick. I saw several instances when continuing with the stick (with more flow) would be more effective. It seems to me that keeping the weapon as the main focus would be more efficient than trying to combine stick+kenpo.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The video was well done. As for combat effectiveness, I'm kind of with you. It's basically Ed Parker's kenpo adapted to stick fighting. As such, it's an extension of kenpo's empty hand techniques rather than a fully independent developed stick fighting system as you find in FMA. I think it may work against an untrained attacker but would not fare well against an escrima/kali practitioner.

I agree with you about the transitions and combinations being questionable, not so much about the distance (although the backhand stick strike to the ribs was too close to generate effective power), but in utilizing unarmed techniques in conjunction with the stick. I saw several instances when continuing with the stick (with more flow) would be more effective. It seems to me that keeping the weapon as the main focus would be more efficient than trying to combine stick+kenpo.
If it is. FMA then just teach that. Combining things requires the practitioner to test out the combo. Just because a jab works, doesn't mean that a 4 jab combo will work out as equally well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is. FMA then just teach that. Combining things requires the practitioner to test out the combo. Just because a jab works, doesn't mean that a 4 jab combo will work out as equally well.
It almost certainly will not. Repetition is, generally speaking, a bad idea.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I'm 51 and have been shopping around for a Martial Art to take, I've decided to go against popular opinion and skip Jiu Jitsu and instead go with Karate. My question is the local school I think is a chain, Amerikicks. I hear people talk of things like belt factories and such. I was looking for more general knowledge and opinions on the chain. I honestly don't have a lot of choice, there is one other school, but Amerikicks meets my schedule much better.

Thanks for your time..
c,heers!
It is a curious site. It does appear to be a 'canned' website. Quite common for startup businesses of all types. It appears to be a couple who have started their own school(s) without any clear affiliation. For me, that would be concerning. For the casual practitioner who just wants to workout with no concern about long term belt advancement or transferability, it may be the perfect fit.
It is curious because I do not see any specific style listed and see people wearing both Dobok's, and Gi's. It is hard to really tell what they are teaching. I do see more and more schools going the way of no specific style these days. A conglomeration of styles if you will.

Good or bad? I have my opinion, but what is more important is the quality of the instructors and the curriculum material.

Since you don't have a lot of choices I would say at least give it a try. Almost all schools have some kind of trial program.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, i got a huge vibe of them 'kenpoizing' kali. Was actually planning to come back and say exactly that once i get the chance to watch the other videos

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, i got a huge vibe of them 'kenpoizing' kali. Was actually planning to come back and say exactly that once i get the chance to watch the other videos
I agree but there are distinct differences in the way I was taught stick defense. In a nutshell, we were taught joint locks and releases as though there was no stick in the other guy's hand. It is scary to watch the way he defends. All the opponent has to do on most of them is let go of the stick and he is free. Just a hunch, but I suspect it is a competition heavy school.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All the opponent has to do on most of them is let go of the stick and he is free.
This is true but is much easier said than done. I think our natural survival instinct is to hold on whenever we grab something, whether it be a weapon or a tree branch 40 feet high. I have found it takes a lot of practice to instantly let go when your grab is being used against you. Disengagement is one of the most difficult tactical things to do be it a battle, argument, or single combat with or without a weapon.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is true but is much easier said than done. I think our natural survival instinct is to hold on whenever we grab something, whether it be a weapon or a tree branch 40 feet high. I have found it takes a lot of practice to instantly let go when your grab is being used against you. Disengagement is one of the most difficult tactical things to do be it a battle, argument, or single combat with or without a weapon.
There is truth to this. It's also true that most people who have a weapon completely forget their other limbs. That's one of the things training has to overcome.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not even gonna look at the site.

"Amerikicks?" If DeVry was a martial arts school, that's definitely what it would be called.

As for Premier Martial Arts, my job sends me out to the main site for a week every few months. I've been looking for a Shotokan dojo in the area that I could visit (there's none), so I was looking for something close to Shotokan. I saw Premier Martial Arts (no style specified), looked at the site, and it was a hard pass. There's a Tang Soo Do dojang that I may check out next time.

I'm actually considering buying a high end white belt from Kataaro, that would be exclusively used at dojos I'm visiting that require me to wear a white belt. I might even have black kanji embroidered on, saying something along the lines "I'm actually higher than this," "obligatory white belt," "for visitation purposes only," etc.

Last edited:

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm actually considering buying a high end white belt from Kataaro, that would be exclusively used at dojos I'm visiting that require me to wear a white belt. I might even have black kanji embroidered on, saying something along the lines "I'm actually higher than this," "obligatory white belt," "for visitation purposes only," etc.
So far, I've come up with the following:

訪問意思専ら為にこの白帯 - This white belt is exclusively for the purpose of visiting
我強制的着るこの白帯 - I am forced to wear this white belt
彼等禁じる我着る私の黒帯 - They forbid me to wear my black belt
我すべき着ている今々黒帯 - I should be wearing a black belt right now

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far, I've come up with the following:

訪問意思専ら為にこの白帯 - This white belt is exclusively for the purpose of visiting
我強制的着るこの白帯 - I am forced to wear this white belt
彼等禁じる我着る私の黒帯 - They forbid me to wear my black belt
我すべき着ている今々黒帯 - I should be wearing a black belt right now
I think the first one is most respectful 😑 But write it in English!

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How does one know if a belt is transferable? Is there an association they should be affiliated with? My choices are so slim. I don't want to do Judo, but it is the only school I know is truly legit in my area... it's just hard to be sure, everything is focused on children on the advertising side.
Judo is the great unsung martial art. Many high-ranked karateka have backgrounds in judo. It is what they learn first. The difference between judo and combat jujitsu is easily learned, should you ever need the latter. Judo is serious self-defense.