Off the forbidden path

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I myself, have wonder about the abussive Martial Art training that goes on in the world my question to any of you is have you been so cought up in the money aspect of making a Dojang or dojo work that you failed to teach your art. Do you or have you lighten up your training for the occasional trainer and if so how did it work for you and your school. was you able to do both and how. My dilimia is I only know one way to train thats hard but the average students don't like it to much. some advise would be apprciated. My schools does not need to turn a profit, I own other business for that. My sons train hard and few other but the rest is well you know..

R

RHD

terryl965 said:
I myself, have wonder about the abussive Martial Art training that goes on in the world my question to any of you is have you been so cought up in the money aspect of making a Dojang or dojo work that you failed to teach your art. Do you or have you lighten up your training for the occasional trainer and if so how did it work for you and your school. was you able to do both and how. My dilimia is I only know one way to train thats hard but the average students don't like it to much. some advise would be apprciated. My schools does not need to turn a profit, I own other business for that. My sons train hard and few other but the rest is well you know..

If you don't need the school for profit and the average student doesn't have the desire to train hard, then send them on thier way. To train them to a lower standard than you hold yourself is doing them a disservice whether they realize it or not.

Mike

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to have really hard training. Now it comes sporadically when he sees who is in class. I guess that is what you have to do. Those people that aren't "hooked" will just do an about face and march out the door. I saw that with my kickboxing classes which would make a rag out of anybody by the end. I loved them but alot of people must of thought they had to work too much. They don't realize that a goal not worked for is a much diminished goal. They will never feel the triumph of succeeding either.

But such is the state of the American psychic, and a nation that is just wanting easier, more automated everything and getting fatter. You probably will have to do two tiers of workout-beginning and advanced, so that you can "hook" the beginners first. I was hooked at yellow belt but I have always done something--running-aerobics-tennis-health club. I would venture to say most don't do much anything. And in December, nobody comes... TW

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How do I lighten classes up a bit? I smile.

Seriously, I used to treat students more like military recruits. Then I realized most students are not looking for that type of intensity. I was teaching the way I was taught, which doesn't work for many students. They need to be treated like students-professionally but humanely. Make it hard practice, but not brutal.

Latest Discussions